Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car wont start after timing belt..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT OF PREVIOUS COMMENT (UP ABOUT 5 COMMENTS): Come to think of it, I don't see how having the crankshaft off 180 deg would cause valve/piston conflicts. What would happen is exhaust valves instead of intake valves would open when intake valves were supposed to open, but there should be no mechanical impacts. If you were off 15 degrees or 20 degrees, you would have impacts, but not exact 180 degrees (or, I think, off the top of my head, exact 90 degrees, but I'm less sure of that).

just reset everything right and you should be fine.
    Last edited by batever; 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

So is there anyway to check for a belt valve? Or what's the best way fir checking? Gonna go at it again today and just want to check everything I can. And would anyone mind telling me each and everything I should line up. The help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
      1996 Honda Shadow VT1100C

Sold
      1993 Honda Accord 10th Ann

Comment

do you hear exhaust in you intake manifold?, Do a compression test to see if they are bent, it takes 15 minutes.
        "Self Renewed"

Comment

I would deff. Do a compression test!
          Can you hear any valves tapping? I had a friend break a valve( snapped off) due to being off timing cost him 300 to get fixed!
          He kept trying to get it started and redoing timing while the valve was smacking around, the day we took off the head to check it was welded to the piston and the valve seat was damaged. luckily not to bad Where the machine shop couldnt fix.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
            EDIT OF PREVIOUS COMMENT (UP ABOUT 5 COMMENTS): Come to think of it, I don't see how having the crankshaft off 180 deg would cause valve/piston conflicts. What would happen is exhaust valves instead of intake valves would open when intake valves were supposed to open, but there should be no mechanical impacts. If you were off 15 degrees or 20 degrees, you would have impacts, but not exact 180 degrees (or, I think, off the top of my head, exact 90 degrees, but I'm less sure of that).

just reset everything right and you should be fine.
            Second.

180 off would not cause mechanical impact.

Reset the timing completely, and don't go by the arrow/mark on the harmonic balancer. Those marks are only for reference, as you could mistake it by a fraction of an inch and make your timing off a tooth. Place a long screwdriver inside spark plug hole number one and find the true TDC (and you won't be 180 off if the timing mark is near the arrow).

As stated before, the marks on the back of the cam gear will be level with the edge of the head, not the horizontal plane of the earth, so make sure that is set correctly. Also, make sure that when you are installing the timing belt that you run the left side first, then feed it around the water pump etc. This will set the connection between the cam and the crank, keeping sure that neither jumps.

Next order of business: distributor and ignition timing. Simply moving your distributor WILL NOT CHANGE YOUR TIMING. The ECU automatically stabilizes the ignition timing if it senses it is off. This is why in order to change our ignition timing we must jump the two-wire harness behind the glove box. It's not your ignition timing, don't worry about it.

Last order of business (and I can't believe no one caught this)... You said you changed the lower tube o-rings? This requires removal of the rocker arm assembly. You have to redo your valve lash every time it is removed. Being a tooth off in timing will make the car run "funny," but not make it sputter and bog; valve lash being way off will. (Unless it's two or three teeth off, in which case you will probably have bigger fish to fry.)

All of this, of course, in consideration with the comments above regarding a compression test, just to rule out any head damage.

Good luck! And keep us updated. Maybe even post a few pictures of the timing you are setting it to.
            Last edited by JesterMasque; 06-11-2011, 11:05 AM.
            I <3 My Honda CB9!
            My Hondas
            1992 Integra LS Coupe (Sad story...)
            1995 Civic VP Coupe (Traded for->)
            2002 Civic EX Coupe (Traded for->)
            2006 Acura MDX (Long story...)
            1988 Accord DX Sedan (Donated to a friend)
            1992 Accord LX Wagon (Sad Story)

Comment

torquing down the bolts today and snapped two into the head.. Motor had 250k+ miles on it and was put together by the hulk.. so now... H motor swap in is the mail as we speak..
              1996 Honda Shadow VT1100C

Sold
              1993 Honda Accord 10th Ann

Comment

Working...
              X