Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

High-pitched whistle w/ acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High-pitched whistle w/ acceleration

Tried searching around but I don't even know how to describe the sound, let alone where it is coming from. Sounds like its coming from the front of the car, possibly front right engine bay.
    Been doing this since I got the car, has a "sweet spot" to make it work. If I let off the throttle or give it more gas it will stop.

Been shrugging it off too long while I work on other things, now it's time to get to the bottom of it.

RIP my last two CB7s.
    New rides:
    '82 Volvo 245 drift project
    '87 Volvo 244 daily
    Born2DieApparel.com

it's you're intake . mine does it mainly because i have a cold air intake .
    this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
    How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
    Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

*facepalm*
      Seriously?

I've had similar setups in other cars and never heard anything like it. When I originally ruled out the intake I was just trying to find that sweet spot with a friend under the hood listening... Never could recreate the sound.
      I kinda want to dig up my oem intake to verify that for safe measure.

So if it is just a whistle made when just the right amount of air passes through, how do I go about silencing it?
      Anything to do with the filter itself?

Oh and on a side note I gave someone a ride the other day and they thought that sound was a turbo.... I wish:/

RIP my last two CB7s.
      New rides:
      '87 Volvo 244 daily
      Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

no real way to silence it other than to put back on the stock one .
        this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Car safety checks

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Originally posted by Accord problems View Post
          no real way to silence it other than to put back on the stock one .
          Or get a different intake setup? I can't imagine everyone with a non-OEM intake setup on a CB7 hears this.

RIP my last two CB7s.
          New rides:
          '87 Volvo 244 daily
          Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

I have a CAI, so I've never heard anything like that.
            In the video, it almost sounds like an electronic whistle. Is it definitely coming from the engine bay, and not from your speakers?

What sort of intake setup are you using?

Comment

mine started to after i put on my after market air intake . do to my secondary runners not opening up all the way do to not having the iab box . so after market the air intake just make's it noticeable .

Car safety checks

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                I have a CAI, so I've never heard anything like that.
                In the video, it almost sounds like an electronic whistle. Is it definitely coming from the engine bay, and not from your speakers?

What sort of intake setup are you using?

Electronic whistle? No, not from the speakers that I can tell, slightly louder with window down.

My setup is some additional tubing after oem intake tube and a Spectre come filter on the end. I have the resonator thing capped on the oem tubing.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                New rides:
                '87 Volvo 244 daily
                Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Pics?

Sounds like it's a cobbled-together setup. Very likely the cause of the whistle.
                  Also, those Spectre filters are awful. It would be wise to replace it with one from AEM, K&N, or Apexi.

Comment

I got the stock box and I get it. It's very faint but I could hear in a quiet area while driving slow.

Comment

Usually this noise is caused by bad bearings in the transmission.

To confirm you are barking up the right tree, flush the transmission fluid. Watch the sparkle show begin. Hopefully no chunks of brown plastic. Those are the cages that space the balls apart in your ball bearing bearings.
                      Last edited by FarmerD; 01-11-2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

^^^ what

Car safety checks

Fluid Capacities

Comment

It's probably your clutch throwout bearing. I can't hear any whistle in the video and I turned it up loud with a 600watt surround system. Mine does the same thing as what you've described. I swapped the motor and trans and didn't have time to wait for the throwout bearing even though I knew it was going out. Now it makes a "whistle" sound during certain rpms depending on throttle input(no rattle sound at all). Of course that will be coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It is not your intake. I've had intakes that whistled because of a vacuum line not connected so it would pull air into the small fitting on the intake right by the throttle body. If that fitting isn't open then your intake has nothing to do with the noise.

So for whatever my opinion is worth at this point on this forum.... I'm saying it's your clutch throwout bearing going bad. If you've got an automatic transmission then it's most likely a vacuum leak. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerD View Post
                            To confirm you are barking up the right tree, flush the transmission fluid. Watch the sparkle show begin. Hopefully no chunks of brown plastic. Those are the cages that space the balls apart in your ball bearing bearings.
                            I am out of state for a little while but will try this when I get home.

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
                            I'm saying it's your clutch throwout bearing
                            I've had one replaced in another vehicle and never heard anything like it. However my clutch is pretty worn out, replacing it as soon as possible but might still be a little while.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Pics?
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201784

RIP my last two CB7s.
                            New rides:
                            '87 Volvo 244 daily
                            Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Re: Throw out bearing. I highly suspect not. Because this bearing only gets loaded when you engage the clutch.

You seem to be having that noise during acceleration, from what I can see.

Comment

Working...
                              X