Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

transmission difficulties, and many other problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission difficulties, and many other problems

Hey everyone I am having a few problems with my cb7. To start i have a 1990 honda accord ex with automatic transmission. Car is currently garaged due to a friend breaking the driver side window (going to be professionally replaced at his expense ) Now that you know all that I would like some advice. Im just gonna list the things wrong with my car.

-Busted cv joint front passanger side

-leaks oil from oil pan requires new oil pan gasket

-oil light occasionally comes on during turns or faster stops i usually add oil to remedy this.

-s indicatior light used to show flashing once then staying solid, happened with oil indicatior light on. stopped when i added oil but what else should i do to prevent this light from reappearing i know it means a transmission malfunctuion just want some preventative maintanince tips for that. (autotrans)

-Muffler makes a loud buzz during acceleration (im assuming i need a new one)

-my gas mileage has been about 20 mpg overall im pretty sure i should be getting more mpg.

-trunk leaks, i havent witnessed it but i assume from wheel kicking up water into the wheel well holes.

-Car seems to have a rough time shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (auto)

thats all i can think of off the top of my head but i need to know the most important maintance i should do or have done to my car to insure it lives to see 300,000 miles (shes at 130,000)

Thank you,
    stock1990ex

-Busted cv joint front passanger side
    Replace it. Might as well do both at the same time. Be prepared to replace ball joints if the boots are damaged (or if you damage them in the process.)

-leaks oil from oil pan requires new oil pan gasket
    Use an OEM Honda gasket to ensure proper fitment.

-oil light occasionally comes on during turns or faster stops i usually add oil to remedy this.
    If you are leaking oil, then fix the leaks. Burning oil, then you need to replace or rebuild your engine. You should never let the level get low enough to make the light come on.

-s indicatior light used to show flashing once then staying solid, happened with oil indicatior light on. stopped when i added oil but what else should i do to prevent this light from reappearing i know it means a transmission malfunctuion just want some preventative maintanince tips for that. (autotrans)
    The S light is indicating an error code from the TCU (transmission computer). Read the "read this first" thread at the top of this section to learn how to read and interpret the codes. Once you know what it's telling you, fix that problem.

-Muffler makes a loud buzz during acceleration (im assuming i need a new one)
    Stock muffler? Yes, you most likely need a new one. It could also be due to a damaged catalytic converter... also a good thing to replace.

-my gas mileage has been about 20 mpg overall im pretty sure i should be getting more mpg.
    A proper tuneup, a new oxygen sensor (Denso or NTK/NGK ONLY... no Bosch, as they don't work properly), a new fuel filter, and properly inflated tires should help with this.
    If your check engine light (CEL) is on, then your ECU isn't fueling the car properly... that CEL will be telling you of an error code in the computer. The thread that tells you how to read your transmission error codes also contains information on the CEL.

-trunk leaks, i havent witnessed it but i assume from wheel kicking up water into the wheel well holes.
    Many people have trunk leaks, and many people have a difficult time locating them. The best thing to do is make sure everything is 100% dry. Then hose the car down from every possible angle, and look to see where the water enters the trunk. Very often it's due to leaky taillight gaskets, but it could be coming from just about anywhere. Another thing to do is dust the trunk with baby powder before you turn the hose on the car. The baby powder will make tracing the leak very easy. It'll be a bitch to clean up, though... and your car will smell like a baby.

-Car seems to have a rough time shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (auto)
    Change the transmission fluid. Use ONLY Honda ATF. Nothing else. This hard shifting may also be related to the error shown by the S light.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want 300k from your car, just stay on top of maintenance. Tune up, fluid levels, etc. Replace any worn bushings or seals. Replace the timing belt as specified. If you don't know when something was replaced, assume it has never been replaced and do it now. Replace the shocks and brakes.
    MOST CB transmissions that I've seen have been neglected... so you might want to prepare to replace that.
    Concentrate first on anything that can cause instant engine failure... mainly, the timing belt, water pump, and rear main seal.

Comment

Thank you I appreciate the help

Comment

Working...
      X