No announcement yet.

Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really have a timeline for this. As I'm still working on a plan for what to do with this. Although this will give me 3 well running engines. So I can just pull out whatever when I have an issue and drop something else in. I do hope to have this all done and put together by sometime in the spring though. With Christmas coming up, it's definitely going to slow down for a little bit. I'm hoping to have a good dent put in the list by the end of this year. I know I won't be able to manage all of it and the machining costs. But I can get started on the road.

Things I still need:

- OEM Main Bearings
    - OEM Rod Bearing
    - OEM Thrust Washers
    - OEM Oil Pump
    - OEM Crank Seals
    - OEM Water Pump
    - OEM Idler Bearings
    - OEM Oil Pan (I prefer the newer style aluminum ones as opposed to the steel. I've had so many gasket problems with the steel pans.)
    - KS Balancer Shaft Delete Kit
    - Flywheel (Thinking of going with an ACT Streetlight again. I've been very happy with the one on my sedan. Then again I might just save the money and stick the the stock one for the time being. I have a stage 2.5 Competition Clutch sitting on a shelf so no need to buy one.)

I plan on having the rotating assembly balanced, the crank micro polished, block sleeved. I can't think of anything else of the top of my head that I plan on doing to the block at the machine shop.

I wouldn't call this a full out build. More like a rebuild that went slightly awry due to Honda's cylinder sleeve choice. The head will just get a standard job done on it. Other than porting and polishing the intake and exhaust ports a bit. Although it seems I'm going to have to put some money into it as well. I'm sure the LMA's and some other things all need to be replaced. Or they should at least because this engine has unknown miles on it, and I don't know how the previous owner beat on it. I've already been pricing out some Supertech valve springs. I'm not even going to chance it on reusing the springs that are in it.

I will still keep plugging away on all of the other projects I have planned for Lola, while working on this engine. Although this did put a slight hold on my suspension plans. I'm still going to swap everything from the sedan over. But I was going to but some new Bilstein struts in to replace the most likely blown KYB AGX's. Oh well all in due time. I'm happy to have found and now own an H22A1 but man it sure threw a wrench into my plans.
    Last edited by Rilas; 11-10-2015, 01:33 PM.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

does the crust appear to only be on the surface? since you already plan on ditching the block guts, personally i would try soaking that stuff for a long time in something like PB Blaster, then rotate the crank to see if the rings could clean it off. might be surprised?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
        does the crust appear to only be on the surface? since you already plan on ditching the block guts, personally i would try soaking that stuff for a long time in something like PB Blaster, then rotate the crank to see if the rings could clean it off. might be surprised?
        While the crust is on the surface, it has left white markings on the sleeve itself. I have pictures of this, but I forgot to grab the camera chip on my way to work. You can't feel the edges of the markings or anything but I fear they have harmed the structural integrity of the sleeves themselves. This is why I decided to resleeve the block to be safe. I did use some oil on the crust and used the rings to break it off like you mentioned. Although I did this days ago. I just keep forgetting to grab the chip from the camera and get some pictures up.

I did manage to get the block, internals, and a few other misc parts dropped off to the machine shop. So progress will be getting started soon. I'm still waiting for the pistons and sleeves to arrive.

Comment

On 11-12-2015 I got the block fully disassembled. Also prior to that I was working on cleaning up the outside of the block. I didn't get to finish that though, due to it making the entire house smell like toast oil from the block. So it went to the machine shop that night. Anyway here are some pictures I've been promising.

Engine Block Front

Engine Block Rear

Engine Block Girdle

Cylinder 3 FRM Sleeve 1

Cylinder 3 FRM Sleeve 2

Cylinder 3 FRM Sleeve 3

Pistons

Piston 3 Rings (The rings didn't want to come out as the crud has packed them into the pistons.)

Piston 1 Rod Bearings

Piston 2 Rod Bearings

Pictures of the rod bearings for pistons 3 and 4 didn't turn out well. I forgot to take pictures of the crank and a few other items. The crank looked great though. So once the new sleeves are in this thing should be good for another 200k hopefully, along with all the other parts.

Comment

On Friday as we were headed out of town the new pistons and sleeves showed up. Also a few goodies from the junk yards this weekend. I only got about an hour and a half, so I had to prioritize my time. I managed to find a few gems though.

Darton Sleeves without Flange

NPR Racing Piston 1 (They have a coating on the top and side skirts.)

NPR Racing Piston 2

NPR Racing Piston 3

NPR Racing Piston 4

NPR Piston Rings

Piston Ring Box (Has a fancy seal on it. I know this means nothing but thought I would show it.)

So I randomly found another 1991 Honda Accord Coupe DX Phoenix Red. Which hadn't been stripped of basically anything. So I found everything I wasn't able to collect off the last one I found. I really shocked to have seen two of these this year alone. Just luck of the draw I guess.

Black Interior Parts 1

Black Interior Parts 2

Black Interior Parts 3

Black 1991 SE Speaker Pods 1

Black 1991 SE Speaker Pods 2

There was really nothing else to scavenge from the SE though. The leather was toast and the door panels weren't great either. I didn't need the trim and didn't have the time to grab it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
              '99 CL 2.3 Manual (I've only ever seen auto's I didn't even know they came in manual. I really want to see if this cluster will work in our cars. I compared it to a 6th Gen cluster and I like this one much better.)

it works on the 5th gen. Im rocking one. I did hear the V6 ones were different though.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                it works on the 5th gen. Im rocking one. I did hear the V6 ones were different though.
                I've been looking at wiring diagrams, so I can get it all prepped before I take a single screw out of the car. Then hopefully I can manage to get it working on more or less the first try. I've read about a lot of problems with people trying to use the V6 ones. I was stunned to find a manual CL cluster. Of course I need to get it swapped to manual as well to get this in and working properly.

Comment

So I don't have a lot for updates. I've just been slowly working on this H22A1 head. Few things I've noticed. Mine engine is a '92, this is stamped on the block. The casting of the intake ports on the head is ABSOLUTELY awful. I'm hoping Honda fixed this in the later years and were just rushed to get these into the Preludes. If not everyone has crappy castings. I know the intake ports are large compared to the exhaust ports. But come on that doesn't mean you have to cast them for absolute shit. I've run into differences in the roof and floor as well as the divider walls. Not to mention one port had almost an 1/8" of casting buildup right at the beginning of the port mouth. The exhaust ports seem to be much better cast. Anyway here are some pictures of how the intake ports have turned out. They are a little rough around the valve guides. I'm not going to work them out any more. The flap wheel gave them the polished look. The finest I have worked these ports with was 120 grit. So they are still rough for air flow purposes. Anyway here are some pictures of how they turned out. I didn't change the shape of anything, just took out the massive casting flaws running down the side of the ports and the casting texture off the rest of the port. So I shouldn't have affected velocity at all.

H22A1 Intake Port Floor

H22A1 Intake Port Roof

H22A1 Intake Port Flow

H22A1 Intake Port Bowl

Hopefully I'll have some more progress type pictures on the exhaust ports. I didn't have much of before and middle stages of this project. I'll try and document the exhaust ports a little better. Anyway this should free up a few HP by the time I'm done.

Comment

Not a whole lot to update, the night before Thanksgiving I accomplished the following. As I've just been spending hour upon hour staring into exhaust ports. I've worked on 7 out of 8 of the bowls for the exhaust valves. I left one untouched so I could take a comparison picture. I'll work out the last one tonight most likely.

Untouched Exhaust Port with 1 Bowl Ported

Untouched Exhaust Bowl

Ported Exhaust Bowl

1st Pass Exhaust Port 1 (This was only about a 10 minute touchup. I really just wanted to knock the carbon off and see where this port was really at. The casting marks were actually not bad at all in this port.)

1st Pass Exhaust Port 2

Hopefully I can get this finished up soon. I would like to get this thing off to the machine shop and off my bench. I have an insulation project for the house but I need my garage picked up, and having a VTEC head disassembled in 4 different places isn't going to work.

Comment

Still not a lot to update with. Other things have been keeping me busy. I did spend some time this last weekend doing some odds and ends on Lola.

Black Interior Trim in Trunk 1 (I still need to take the time to clean the rear piece, I just stuck it in here. Which isn't normal.)

Black Interior Trim in Trunk 2

Black Interior Door Plug (I should have grabbed the piece behind it but I was rushed for time at the junk yard. Maybe I'll find another coupe soon and get the last few bits.)

Black Interior Pocket Hole (Now filled with the different styled DX plug that covers the screw in the door handle.)

Black Trim Door Handle and Lock (Thanks for the tip Jarrett!)

I have no more pictures, but I have managed to get 2 more exhaust ports cleaned up better than the one pictured above. All casting marks are now removed and all surfaces are smooth. I still have a lot of work left in front of me. I try to get all my work done with 1 type of bit before moving onto the next bit. This allows me to get more consistency across the ports. One more port left then I can change up bits and work around the valve guides.
                      Last edited by Rilas; 12-02-2015, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Will, I'm liking the progress here. What grit flapper wheel do you use in your progress of porting? Also are you using the dremel pen attachment to get in the tight spaces?
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Interior stuff is looking good!
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                            Will, I'm liking the progress here. What grit flapper wheel do you use in your progress of porting? Also are you using the dremel pen attachment to get in the tight spaces?
                            Nick, so far I have only used 120 grit on both the intake and the exhaust ports. Obviously I'm done working on the intake. But I've found starting with 80 grit it takes a lot longer to work out the markings from the 80 grit later on. So now I just start with 120 and use that to take off all the casting marks and imperfections. Also it allows me to make more "mistakes" per say because the material isn't being removed nearly as quickly. I do have a flex or pen attachment albiet Sears brand not Dremel. I got a hell of a good deal on it when the local sears store was closing.

So I used the flap wheel a lot on the intake ports due to them being huge. The non worn flap wheel fit in there with no problems. Well I wore out that flap wheel. I have purchased a new one but it's a close fit in the mouth of the exhaust ports. So I have only used the 1/2" drums on the exhaust so far. Once I finish up this last mouth and as much as I can do with the 1/2" drum I'm going down to the 1/4" drum to finish up the little stuff around the valve guide. Once I've gotten most of that cleanup done, I'd like to hit it with the flap wheel quickly just to even everything out. Also I think it will help to finish polishing it out with the finer bits. I hope if I can use it on the port mouths it will wear down enough to fit into the bowls. The flap wheel really seems to semi polish them up well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                              Interior stuff is looking good!
                              Thanks for the compliment!

Comment

I have some pictures but I didn't bring them to work today. So just a short little update. Two nights ago I spend a bit of time cleaning up the last exhaust port. Last night I spent more time working on the exhaust ports. I finally got to a point I felt I could switch bits in the Dremel. So in one of the exhaust ports I got out the 1/4" sanding drum and worked around the valve guide some. After I was somewhat happy with that. It still needs more work. I got out the flap wheel and started cleaning up my initial work on the mouth of the exhaust ports. After working on all 4 of the mouths with the flap wheel I found some inconsistencies between the ports. I went back to the 1/2" sanding drum and worked out the inconsistencies. This is the point where I called it quits yesterday. So tonight I'll go back and cleanup with the flap wheel, what I roughed up last night. At least I'm getting close to getting this head to the machine shop.

Comment

Working...
                                X