Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rear balancer shaft orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear balancer shaft orientation

I'm working on a F22A6 and I read the manual and understand what I need to do with the maintenance hole. I read the post from 2013 about this topic.
    BUT, I was able to rotate the pulley to 4 different locations (the dot on the face of the pulley was at 45, 135, 225, and 270 degrees) and insert my screwdriver to lock rotation.
    My question is this: does the location of the dot on the pulley matter or is the service hole guaranteeing it will be timed properly regardless of the pulley orientation?

The pulley with the dot is not mounted directly on the balance shaft; as long as the screwdriver goes in, it should be timed properly. The 270 degree angle appears odd though, I would have expected 315 degrees based on the first three measurements.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Yupp, I second what fleetw00d said..I had the same exact question when
      putting my H22 together. As long as that screwdriver is in there you should
      be good to go. worked perfectly for my H22 & two other F22s I have had.

You'll see where it allows the screwdirver to sit inside the engine the most.
      That is the spot you want it at.

Just leave the balancer belt off when you put it all back together. Free HP!
      Last edited by G. Wiffington; 05-31-2019, 05:10 PM.
      Keep Pushing..

Comment

You would think with me being a Mechanical engineer I would be able to math a little better... last one should be 315 degrees. Thank you for the clarification on the matter.

Is leaving the belt off an option? What type of blinker fluid do they sell you at the parts store?

Comment

Leaving the belt off is an option; a little extra HP available that was used to drive the balance shafts. Engine will shake more; can't tell you how much because I've never run one without it.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by blazercrx View Post
            You would think with me being a Mechanical engineer I would be able to math a little better... last one should be 315 degrees. Thank you for the clarification on the matter.

Is leaving the belt off an option? What type of blinker fluid do they sell you at the parts store?

Comment

I wrote that, then immediately saw a post in the non-beginner section asking about what all can be deleted when leaving the BS belt off...

This will be a daily driver for the wife while we rebuild a coupe w a K24... I'm a firm believer that Honda designed the engine with the balancer shaft setup for a reason, any minimal gain in HP by removing it IMO isn't worth the potential failure.

Vibration is a form of energy just like HP. I realized as I was about to explain its draw on power how lengthy of a discussion it would become. I'll just leave it at the statement that I choose to maintain the BS belts use.

Comment

Lol I am gonna take a step back with what you just said...

Having experienced a few years of working with the Accord CB7..I think I know
                what I am talking about sir.

Take that blink fluid comment to some other forum..we don't put up with that
                around here. I actually don't get on here as much but the fact you said that
                was just uncalled for.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by blazercrx View Post
                  I wrote that, then immediately saw a post in the non-beginner section asking about what all can be deleted when leaving the BS belt off...

This will be a daily driver for the wife while we rebuild a coupe w a K24... I'm a firm believer that Honda designed the engine with the balancer shaft setup for a reason, any minimal gain in HP by removing it IMO isn't worth the potential failure.

Vibration is a form of energy just like HP. I realized as I was about to explain its draw on power how lengthy of a discussion it would become. I'll just leave it at the statement that I choose to maintain the BS belts use.
                  I have an F22 & H22 Euro R with the BS belt off of both & NOTHING has
                  happened. Revs faster & you do receive more torque..it doesn't even make the car vibrate like that..so...?
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

I apologize for offending you G. Wiffington. I read "Just leave the balancer belt off when you put it all back together. Free HP!" like you were messing with the new guy, like: "grab me the left handed monkey wrench..." I immediately came back to correct myself because I realized you were being sincere with the comment. Once again, my apologies for the offense, it won't happen again.

Comment

I wish I could find the post. But somewhere in the Honda literature it tells the mechanics that the balance shaft is only for reduced vibration near idle and it was added for comfort and reduced NVH. It never says anything about wearing down other parts due to vibration. Some other person was talking to I believe someone who raced in BTCC and they ran without the shaft also.

Comment

I ran with and without never had an issue on either motors. I’m currently running without all balance accessories on my built motor. The car does vibrate more, but not due to the lack of balance shafts, but because I have solid mounts and I’m running a Delta 272 cam. Running without the belt does free up some HP, nothing to really notice, and you get the added benefit of one less thing failing you and getting jammed up in the timing belt.
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I had an h23 break a balance shaft belt and it took out the timing belt.

Comment

could be the reason why the engine I'm replacing went bad, it had a broken timing belt but could have been the balancing belt that caused the timing belt to break.
                            As far as the balancer belt that I just installed...It's too late now, I'll have it started by the end of tomorrow. When this belt fails it'll be time to upgrade to a K series.

That's what sucks about being a newb.

Comment

What sucks about being a noob?

Hell I’ve been working on this car for 16 years and I still make noob moves. But putting something that came from factory back on it’s a noob move. I ran the balance belt on my H22 only reason I didn’t remove it was because I was too lazy to pull the timing cover.
                              ~Nick~
                              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Working...
                              X