Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i take off those plastic door bumper guards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i take off those plastic door bumper guards?

I want to repaint those rubber plastic door guards on my car. I tried taking a couple off of junkyard but broke every single one. Is there a special trim remover for this i need or do i need to paint them while they are on car?

I actually just did this over the weekend for the first time.

You have to remove the inner door panels and squeeze the retaining clips from the inside to prevent damaging the molding and the clips, I used locking needle nosed pliers to make it easier. *Some of the clips are not visible and you have to locate them blindly inside of the door. So the locking pliers help in those cases.

On the front doors there is a small nut located in the inside of the door jam that has to be removed before attempting to remove the molding. The rear door doesn't have a nut.

Beginning at the rear of the door, attach the pliers to the clip on the inside of the door and use a trim tool to carefully pry between the car and the trim piece on the outside of the door until the molding is slightly away from the door. Once it is free of the car the pliers squeezing the clips inside the door will fall off of the clip. Repeat with the remaining clips until you get to the forward-most clip which actually slides forward off of the last clip.

There is also mounting tape between the molding and car for a large portion of the part, I used a metal putty knife slip between the molding and the car to break the seal.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
      I actually just did this over the weekend for the first time.
      Did u paint yours? How it turned out.Flat, semi or gloss did u use?

Comment

The moldings on this car were painted by the previous owner. They are painted gloss black. I removed them because a few dents in the area need attention.
        http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Working...
        X