Spring Rates for a DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Rates for a DD

I want a nice stiff ride but nothing too stiff to the point that it feels like im on a track. lol.

i plan on getting some Megan Racing coilover sleeves. ive heard from a couple of people people that they're not too stiff and not too soft. now i went on the website and i saw that they sell different spring rates for the coilovers. they have 8k springs and 10k springs.

would the 10k be stiff for DD? what about the 8k?

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
    I want a nice stiff ride but nothing too stiff to the point that it feels like im on a track. lol.

i plan on getting some Megan Racing coilover sleeves. ive heard from a couple of people people that they're not too stiff and not too soft. now i went on the website and i saw that they sell different spring rates for the coilovers. they have 8k springs and 10k springs.

8K would be pretty close to the H&R or Neuspeed race springs...the fronts at least. I wouldn't do 8k all around...that's too stiff in the rear in relation to the front.

A huge factor is the shocks you're using though?
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
      8K would be pretty close to the H&R or Neuspeed race springs...the fronts at least. I wouldn't do 8k all around...that's too stiff in the rear in relation to the front.

A huge factor is the shocks you're using though?

so what would be a good spring rate for the rear?

ill be using some Tokico Illumina struts.

Comment

so what would be a good spring rate for the rear?

ill be using some Tokico Illumina struts.
        It depends on if you're trying to correct some understeer or not.
        Neuspeed and H&R race springs are both about 485lbs front, 300lbs rear. That's about 8.7kg front, and 5.4kg rear just to give you an idea.

So with an 8 kg front, maybe like a 5 or 6 kg rear spring?
        The front and rear of the car have different weights on the axles, and the difference between the front and rear stiffness affects under/oversteer properties.(weight distribution is a big factor) Traditionally you don't want the rear to be the same or stiffer than the front.

You could get away with 10kg in the front and 8kg in the rear as well for a bit stiffer setup.

Comment

It depends on if you're trying to correct some understeer or not.
          Neuspeed and H&R race springs are both about 485lbs front, 300lbs rear. That's about 8.7kg front, and 5.4kg rear just to give you an idea.

So with an 8 kg front, maybe like a 5 or 6 kg rear spring?
          The front and rear of the car have different weights on the axles, and the difference between the front and rear stiffness affects under/oversteer properties.(weight distribution is a big factor) Traditionally you don't want the rear to be the same or stiffer than the front.

You could get away with 10kg in the front and 8kg in the rear as well for a bit stiffer setup.

well i know about the difference in the weight for the front and the back.

i just wanted a nice ride without all the bounce but i also want a stiff ride tho. but not to the point where i kill my back every time i drive the car.

is 10k stiff tho?

Comment

8k F and 6k rear is my vote its better to have a soft spring and strong dampner
            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
              8k F and 6k rear is my vote its better to have a soft spring and strong dampner
              yeah but whats the spring rate on the Megan sleeves tho?

Comment

Megan sleeves are 450lbs F, 350lbs R....so about 8kg front and 6.25kg rear....that would be a good setup for the Illuminas. I would say 8k is right at the beginning of the threshold of "stiff"....but everyone has a different opinion. I don't think my race springs 485lbs F, 300lbs R are that stiff, but then again, they are paired with Koni yellows so I have proper damping.

Comment

megan sleeves have a harsh rate. go check out meganracing.com it should be on there. they arent as bad as skunk 2
                  frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Megan sleeves are 450lbs F, 350lbs R....so about 8kg front and 6.25kg rear....that would be a good setup for the Illuminas. I would say 8k is right at the beginning of the threshold of "stiff"....but everyone has a different opinion. I don't think my race springs 485lbs F, 300lbs R are that stiff, but then again, they are paired with Koni yellows so I have proper damping.
                    well thats cool then. since they have 8k in the beginning, i should be fine then.

why is it bad to match the spring rates with the front and rear?

Comment

im using 10k's on my front tokico illuminas and 330lbs in on my rears also illuminas.. i wanna go stiffer.. but this is not good for daily..
                      MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

1991 Honda Accord EX - MY NEW ONE
                      1991 Honda Accord LX - Impounded and GONE
                      1993 Honda Accord EX H22 - SOLD

BTW IM NOT TURBO.. I WAS GOING TO GO TURBO WITH MY FIRST CB.. BUT IT GOT IMPOUNDED

Comment

why is it bad to match the spring rates with the front and rear?
                        I assume it's got something to do with weight distribution and handling characteristics? Matching the spring rates between front and rear or even running stiffer springs in the rear will increase the chance of over-steering, depending on the rest of your suspension setup

I'm currently running 14K up front and 8K in the rear, and I honestly still don't think it's stiff enough Well, the 8K rear is alright, but the front could be stiffer...I'm still tempted to run 16K up front and have the front shocks re-valved hehe..

So will you be running Illumina shocks? Because if I remember correctly, they don't really perform well with super-stiff spring rates? But anyways, that aside, I'd try 10K front and 6K rear, see how you like it

Just remember, running stiff springs also mean that you'll have to run good tires with stiff sidewall to make them work properly, or else your tires will flex and absorb all the bumps on the road and you will end up with a harsh ride because your suspension is not working the way it's supposed to....Also, remember to upgrade your bushings

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
                          I assume it's got something to do with weight distribution and handling characteristics? Matching the spring rates between front and rear or even running stiffer springs in the rear will increase the chance of over-steering, depending on the rest of your suspension setup

I'm currently running 14K up front and 8K in the rear, and I honestly still don't think it's stiff enough Well, the 8K rear is alright, but the front could be stiffer...I'm still tempted to run 16K up front and have the front shocks re-valved hehe..

So will you be running Illumina shocks? Because if I remember correctly, they don't really perform well with super-stiff spring rates? But anyways, that aside, I'd try 10K front and 6K rear, see how you like it

Just remember, running stiff springs also mean that you'll have to run good tires with stiff sidewall to make them work properly, or else your tires will flex and absorb all the bumps on the road and you will end up with a harsh ride because your suspension is not working the way it's supposed to....Also, remember to upgrade your bushings

Ronald

I agree about the Illuminas not handling very high spring rates...that's reserved for the likes of Koni or Bilstein.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7xTURBO View Post
                            im using 10k's on my front tokico illuminas and 330lbs in on my rears also illuminas.. i wanna go stiffer.. but this is not good for daily..

good point.

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post

Ronald
                            yeah. i figured the tires would come into play somewhere in there. lol. but dag boy. 14k? and i thought 10k was stiff. lol. and yeah. ill be replacing some of the bushings that i can. i was looking on TASauto the other day about some poly-urethane bushings. they're somewhat cheap from what i was thinking about. lol.

I agree about the Illuminas not handling very high spring rates...that's reserved for the likes of Koni or Bilstein.
                            i would get some Koni Yellows but i dont have that kind of money. lol. plus id have to get them with the GC's that everyone gets them with. lol. and thats like $750+. if i got those, i had might as well got the Func./Form Type One's that i wanted.

Comment

Honestly, What is "too" stiff for yourself?
                              Some people love 4k and some love 12k its just a personal thing.

My suggestion would be to get adjustable damper coilovers rather than swapping springs.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X