FWIW...F22 Oil Squirter Myth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW...F22 Oil Squirter Myth!

If you have a tuner that tells you that your engine won't handle higher RPM or loads due to not having oil/piston squirters for cooling. He doesn't know your engine very well.

It's kind of ingenious actually, although our F22A & F22B blocks do not have those fancy little oil squirting tubes like our sister blocks do. The Honda engineers came up with a more subtle way to lubricate and cool the under sides of our pistons.

Next time you have the chance to look at a stock PT3 F22A/B rod, look at the shoulder just above the BE bore where the shaft begins. You will see a small hole that points straight up the shaft of the rod. OK it's not 100% straight it is on a slight angle....... Also our bearings reflect this small hole.

If you were to look at this hole in conjunction with the oil supply hole in the crank journal. You would see that these holes align in such a way that for just an instance, there would be a straight path for oil to follow at the given pressure for the engines RPM. The higher the RPM the greater the pressure. This straight shot of pressurized oil would flow directly from the crank journal through the bearings and connecting rod. This system has been design so that at x degree in crankshaft rotation. The oil will squirt through this hole directly into the bottom of the piston. AKA piston cooler and lubricator.

This is why it is important to install your rods in the same orientation that they came out in.

On another note; If you go to use a set of H22 rods in an F block. You will very quickly see that those rods do not have the oil ports in them. If you want the stock oil squirt you will have to use F22 rods or have the H22 rods machined. That is why I will be taking my to the machine shop to have the ports added.

There have been a a few people who have built engines while removing the oil squirters and had great success. I like the oiling design and I trust the tech behind it. That's why I will choose to pay the money

I saw some misinformation in another thread and thought that I would pass this information along.

Cheers!
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Hell some people even remove the oil squirters from H22 blocks and don't even use them.

Comment

A large majority of the people who remove them have no choice. As in anyone who chooses to over bore or stroke the block. Those pesky tubes get in the way. Now, if you were to run aftermarket forged pistons they tend to dissipate heat faster and stay cooler on a regular basis without oil squirters. That is why so many say it is OK to remove them. This is the idea anyway, and it works.

That being said. I'd still like to have that added cooling to be able to avoid adding any heat at all costs..... The less heat you soak into your combustion chamber parts the more energy that goes to the wheels.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Wouldn't a hole in the rod be a potential source of weakness when under serious strain, though? Perhaps that's why they elected not to use that design in the higher-revving H22.

Comment

With considerations like this and the polishing you've done to your combustion chambers I'd be interested in seeing an EGT comparison of your car at a given rpm compared to another F22A at the same. The longer rods reduce side-loading friction which lessens the amount of heat produced in the first place l, so that may skew data as that's not really a measure to alleviate heat soak. But, all the same, I do enjoy seeing the efforts you've put into your "F22" recently.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Wouldn't a hole in the rod be a potential source of weakness when under serious strain, though? Perhaps that's why they elected not to use that design in the higher-revving H22.
            The type of load on that area is pushing down on the rod at the web or strong point. Not as problematic as if it were on a stretch or pull part of the rod. There are also people who believe that it will starve the rod bearing of oil pressure at that time in the rotation. In that case the oil port in the crankshaft journal is closer to the bottom of the crank rotation/top of the rod. Therefore there is little to no load on the rod during that part of the crankshaft rotation. It's pretty much just before TDC.

I think this type of oil squirter was an issue on some DSM motors, they obliviously tried to duplicate the Honda design...and didn't take into account the load on the bearing at that given time.

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            With considerations like this and the polishing you've done to your combustion chambers I'd be interested in seeing an EGT comparison of your car at a given rpm compared to another F22A at the same. The longer rods reduce side-loading friction which lessens the amount of heat produced in the first place l, so that may skew data as that's not really a measure to alleviate heat soak. But, all the same, I do enjoy seeing the efforts you've put into your "F22" recently.

Thank you,

I love the fractionally lower rod to stroke ratio that the extra 1.5mm gives. Every little bit counts. I do plan on logging both EGT and CHT readings from all 4 cylinders when I get this thing up and running.

Wish it was sooner, however, I guess I have to leave by the old adage that "All good things come to those who wait!"..... lol
            Last edited by GhostAccord; 12-27-2012, 02:48 PM.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Nice info and clarification Ghost

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
              MRT F22B - 643whp - 529tq @ 30psi
              11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

Note: as mentioned above anyone who may be looking to run aftermarket or H22 rods that do not have the BE Oil squirters and may want to run them. You should contact the rod manufacturer to see if it is an available option. I know for sure that Carrillo will add them. As far as I could see Crower and Golden Eagle will not. Pauter will slot the BE thrush face to give them oil squirters.

There are also other rod modifications that can be done. Pretty interesting read here; Carrillo Rod Tech
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X