Main relay acting up again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main relay acting up again

So I had a main relay issue sometime ago that I stupidly thought was a flooding issue, and I opened up the relay, and used a super crappy iron that had a crappy tip which had all of its special plating stripped off because of a wire brush, and I used it to solder my main relay joints, with the crappy iron it was so painstaking and time consuming and I lost track of how many I did some, looked fine, others looked like total crap, but I was tired of soldering and assumed it would be good enough, so I drilled holes in the casing of the relay and slapped it back together, no problems for 3 months and now its doing it again, but only after trying to restart it shortly after a long drive. When it cools down its good. Now I'm like 90% sure its my bad soldering. Before I take it apart and DO IT PROPERLY THIS TIME. Is this a lost cause? even if I solder it right, is there a good chance it'll break again? Should I just get a new relay? Anyone still going strong with a repaired relay?
    Last edited by AmTeC; 10-05-2017, 08:06 PM.

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

I had my repaired relay for 2+ years. Once a proper solder joint is made, it should last another 10+ years. Give it another shot! Also post pics. I can tell you if your solder job is bad. Or PM me if you don't want it shown publicly.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      I had my repaired relay for 2+ years. Once a proper solder joint is made, it should last another 10+ years. Give it another shot! Also post pics. I can tell you if your solder job is bad. Or PM me if you don't want it shown publicly.
      I'll post it publicly, I think being roasted is good motivation to do better next time

I am not the most experienced solderer. I have had a soldering iron for years in case the wires broke off of my computer's cpu fan. which happened alot because I was constantly changing ramsticks and things around and the wires were in the way. I also used it to replace capacitors on dead motherboards, all sorts of things really. I wasn't too bad at it but I'm a bit out of practice, Also my iron has been run over by a Nissan rouge, yes that was the the one I used to fix my relay, and yes, it was run over before I tried to solder the relay, tip was broken and covered in crap too which cause the solder to not melt because the heat wasn't transferring, Im going to buy a new one.

Comment

What kind of solder did you use?
        My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
        Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
        Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
          What kind of solder did you use?
          I used electrical solder with flux already in it. So far, so good, problem hasn't returned since I did the repair.

Comment

Working...
          X