Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Information About Oil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Information About Oil!

As of 2012 Car manufactures and the government (we all know how they like to have control) step up and told the oil companies that there was certain requirements that needed to be met for the newer cars that are coming out. Oil companies now have to refine it a certain way meeting these new ANSI specifications, by doing this they now are all about the same after they are refined, with the only major difference between them being what the manufacturer puts in them. So I'm going to be the one that says this again Oil is Oil it really does not matter what you put in it.

Now for high mileage, This oil is made for vehicles with over 75,000 miles on them, its suppose to help with the seals and other issues that higher mileage engines have problems with. I'm not saying this stuff actually works but from all the research I've done over the last 4 years (i work around the stuff everyday and seen as i don't really have a life i tend to do a lot of research about oil and oil filters) it only makes a small difference from what conventional does, Im not telling you not to use it I'm just saying from what I've found out. While it may condition the seals and help out in other areas, but if your doing preventive maintenance do you really need this?

Now for Synthetics, this oil is in its own little class, unless your driving in the desert, towing or in extreme conditions where normal oil may fail then there is really no need for this the only property's that it really has it the fact that it does not break down as quickly as conventional, granted its always nice to have that reassuring to have something that doesn't break down as easily. Now for the most common thing I hear about synthetic, "well I'm running synthetic in my car and now i cant switch back so I'm stuck buying it." NO! you can switch back between the two at any point in time without damaging your engine, lets think about this for a second what would cause oil to hurt your engine?

The biggest thing is to stay away from the additives, I'm not saying not to use these but beware of them, they are not a quick fix they will eventually fail and you will have the same situation as before, you not taking care of it your only hiding the issue, its a common problem with most people its called "out of sight out of mind". I understand that money might be tight or you cant afford to do something and a quick 4 bucks is easy to do, but when you do it you should get it fixed as soon as you can if not it can lead to bigger problems.

on a last note Sorry deev, i understand if this gets deleted, but after about a dozen posts that i read last night about which oil to use or which one is the best I just couldn't handle it any more.

all this information is readily available on the net all you have to do is search for it!
    Last edited by Wiseman; 04-30-2012, 12:27 PM.

Very good info!
    visit vgruk

Comment

" "well I'm running synthetic in my car and now i cant switch back so I'm stuck buying it." NO! you can switch back between the two at any point in time without damaging your engine, lets think about this for a second what would cause oil to hurt your engine?"

LOL I have always heard this but it didnt make much sence.

Ive always used the "bulk oil" just change it every 3000 miles and never had any engine problems on any of my vehicles.

I used to work at a large oil change bussiness, half the time when a customer paid for the synthetic oil or something expensive, they generally got the "bulk oil" because the mechanic was to lazy to go grab the quarts.

BTW, good post OP

Comment

I'm not a big fan of bulk oil, lol when they bring it to us is just in a big plastic container with whats suppose to be marked on the side, so i guess you really don't know what you get. "OH shit we are out of this well its ok we have extra of this over here just throw it in there they wont know the difference". just a little more Leary about what i put in my cars i guess lol

Comment

Originally posted by GXLancer View Post
          I used to work at a large oil change bussiness, half the time when a customer paid for the synthetic oil or something expensive, they generally got the "bulk oil" because the mechanic was to lazy to go grab the quarts.
          And that is why no one changes my oil but me! Peace

Comment

As the research i have done has taught me. There is more benefits to synthetic then it not breaking down as fast, it will also protect components better. Allow me to explain.

Regular oil the molecules / particles it is made of are not uniformed i.e. different sizes. as most people know the parts inside your engine are not directly metal on metal even thought they are close they ride on a thing coat of oil. That being said, the components will contact the larger molecules more so then the smaller ones meaning less protection, think of a bag of assorted sized balls, yes i said the word balls ha ha... anyway if you were to spill them on the floor and proceed to step on said balls your feet would contact the larger ones and ride on those, you get the point.

Now Synthetic oil a man made product, is made to have uniformed particles. Giving more even protection also the reason why in some older cars when you switch to synthetic you may have a leak at some seals. Which is a normal sign your seals are a little worn no big deal.

everything else you said i agree with 100% great info

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

I have my oil changed at a 10 minute drive-through Shell Rapid Lube. The guys there know me, though... one of them is even a member here (not active, but he signed up years ago.) They're all Honda guys, and they're totally trustworthy. Plus, I watch them pour the Shell full synthetic into my engine I even make sure they do the proper amount (3.8 quarts, not a full 4) That's for my Fit, of course. I usually do the CB's oil myself, though I've taken it there on occasion.

My Fit gets full synthetic, changed every 10,000 miles. That's about 5-6 weeks for me. I use synthetic to ensure I can get that many miles out of it. Plus, the car is run hard, and it is running from about 8am to 8-9pm 5-7 days a week.
              The CB gets regular oil. Sometimes I use a blend, since I do run it pretty hard... but I never really felt I HAD to. It was just for extra peace of mind.

I've pretty much said much the same as the OP here. Oil is oil, unless your modifications or driving habits demand something special. There may be differences between reputable brands and low-end no-name brands, but all reputable brands will be pretty much indiscernible to the average driver.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                I have my oil changed at a 10 minute drive-through Shell Rapid Lube. The guys there know me, though... one of them is even a member here (not active, but he signed up years ago.) They're all Honda guys, and they're totally trustworthy. Plus, I watch them pour the Shell full synthetic into my engine I even make sure they do the proper amount (3.8 quarts, not a full 4) That's for my Fit, of course. I usually do the CB's oil myself, though I've taken it there on occasion.

My Fit gets full synthetic, changed every 10,000 miles. That's about 5-6 weeks for me. I use synthetic to ensure I can get that many miles out of it. Plus, the car is run hard, and it is running from about 8am to 8-9pm 5-7 days a week.
                The CB gets regular oil. Sometimes I use a blend, since I do run it pretty hard... but I never really felt I HAD to. It was just for extra peace of mind.

I've pretty much said much the same as the OP here. Oil is oil, unless your modifications or driving habits demand something special. There may be differences between reputable brands and low-end no-name brands, but all reputable brands will be pretty much indiscernible to the average driver.
                x2 oil is oil i explained a little more of the differences above but in all honesty for someone who is just daily driving there car or even the occasionally spirited driving Regular oil would be fine and you wouldn't notice a difference...

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

The easiest way to check if you oil is doing a good job is to have a used oil analysis (UOA) performed at each or every other oil change.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I use them with my oil changes and while it may not show me exactly what's going on in my motor, it allows me to establish trends and those are what will show if something is going on in the motor. Their reports do a great job of breaking down the components and what is worrisome.

For your average 100K+ mile F22A, I don't really see the need to use any high end boutique oil, but for a swap that's had some work done to it or especially any turbo motor, stepping up to a better oil cannot hurt.

I am personally partial to the German Castrol Syntec 0w-30.

Also take a look at Bob Is The Oil Guy (BITOG) forums.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s.php?ubb=cfrm

Comment

actually looking at bob the oil guys forum now lol.

the price of the test is pretty reasonable as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiseman View Post
                      I'm not a big fan of bulk oil, lol when they bring it to us is just in a big plastic container with whats suppose to be marked on the side, so i guess you really don't know what you get. "OH shit we are out of this well its ok we have extra of this over here just throw it in there they wont know the difference". just a little more Dennis Leary about what i put in my cars i guess lol
                      fixed

i have been using Castrol for years and have no specific reason why
                      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Well the post was sort of informative and more opinionated. Heres my 2¢. I get whatever DIY sale is best between the parts stores around me, single quarts/jugs whatever. However I also always throw in a quart of the Lucas Oil stabilizer. Might be snake oil, but probably not. I changed the oil in my Cherokee and inadvertently knocked the OPS when I was under the hood and cracked it, I was in a rush and heading out of town. On the highway I noticed a fog behind me..oh oil burning off exhaust..No it was oil coming out of the OPS it stopped after about 10 mins..So drove about 85-90 miles with no oil. I noticed valves ticking when I got off the highway and checked it. Rigged up a sock-bandclamp-duct tape bandage for the OPS and threw in some quarts to get me to where i needed to go, where I changed out the OPS. I really believe that the Lucas saved my ass..that and the badass bullet proof inline 6 in the jeep

Comment

thanks for the fix bobby!

erik, how do you get its all opinionated when all the information is out there all you have to do is find it and read it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiseman View Post
                            thanks for the fix bobby!

erik, how do you get its all opinionated when all the information is out there all you have to do is find it and read it?
                            No need to get butthurt, You dont rehash the facts or provide them, when you have a bunch of "I"s or "I'm"s its opinion. You go on to say switching from synthetic back to regular wont hurt the motor, and conclude with lets think about it, and no definite answer. What Ive read is that synthetics cause seals and rubber parts to swell, and going back to regular will basically desiccate them thus causing leaks. Thats what they have the blends for. So you dont have to go full synthetic (unless you want to) but can always go back to dino or in a pinch throw in regular oil. And still get the extended milage out of it. (Think about our moms cars) I was going to put full synthetic in her jeep for the service interval amounts, but her being her I could see a regular jug of dino be tossed in which is bad.

Then you say stay away from the additives with no real reason why, other than if your shits fucked up dont put a bandage on it. True theres no fix in a can, but risolone and lucas do help with old abused motors and most laymen arent going to rip a motor apart to change rings because piston pressure is down or sporadic across the board

Basically lets see your accumulated research over the years, I go by numbers not what you say about numbers.

Comment

all im going to say is that's fine I'm not going to argue a point when all you have to do it research and read for your self. It was just for informational purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X