Stock Radio Wire Harness Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Radio Wire Harness Issue

I've always had problems with my sound system ever since my sister installed an XM system in the car. It started from cutting out every once in a while, to working if you wiggled it in a good position, to it completely not working.

I was sick and tired of having no music to ride around to and removed the stereo. Cut out the remains of the XM system, Put electrical tape over two of the bare wires that XM system's (+) and (-) wires were wrapped around.
    None of this did anything. I was fussing around with the harness and noticed if I pulled on it and moved it to the right, music would start playing. but if not, music won't play. What's wrong? What's there to do?

TL;DR Music only plays if I move the radio wire harness around, How do I fix this?

EDIT: Shitty Cellphone Pics

Last edited by SacTownCb7; 05-06-2013, 12:22 AM.

Cappuccino Accord Member #19

Bought From:ktcb7

So other than the 2 XM wires, its stock? Or has the harness been cut elsewhere?
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
      So other than the 2 XM wires, its stock? Or has the harness been cut elsewhere?
      To my knowledge, yes.
      It's all stock, speakers, headunit, etc.
      I'm an extreme noob at this, I can provide pictures if it'll help

Comment

If the music/power cuts out when you move the harness, you have a short. If the harness is 100% stock, I would assume the ground(black wire) is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
          If the music/power cuts out when you move the harness, you have a short. If the harness is 100% stock, I would assume the ground(black wire) is broken.
          That makes sense. Don't mean to sound stupid, but what are my options for repair?

Comment

I would try moving each individual wire and see which one causes the short. Does the power to the deck shut off, or does the sound just cut out?

Comment

I believe it is the black one. And only the sound cuts out. The antenna and radio all work.

Comment

If you truly believe it's the black wire, follow the wire to where it's bolted down, most likely the wire is broken at the connector. You can just cut the wire, attach another connector and reground it.

Comment

Is there anyway I can access where it's bolted down better? It's tucked behind and hidden from view.
                  And could it possibly broken at the connector which connects to the radio? Or is it broken at where it's bolted down?

Comment

So if you grab just the black wire, you can cause it to short out? It could be broken at either end honestly, but I would suspect the chassis end first. If you're positive it's the black wire, cut it as long as you can, and attach a new connector and bolt it down.

Comment

You could always run new wiring from the head unit to the speakers.. cut out the middle man.
                      SuddenCb7 - 1992 Honda Accord EX Coupe

Comment

Working...
                      X