driverless cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driverless cars

"Taking a spin behind the wheel" might soon be a phrase from the past.

On Tuesday night Google unveiled the latest version of its Self-Driving Car: a vehicle that can navigate by itself and that does not feature a steering wheel, brakes, or acceleration pedal.

"Fully autonomous driving has always been the goal of our project," Google’s self-driving vehicle team said in a statement, “because we think this could improve road safety and help lots of people who can’t drive. We’re now developing prototypes of vehicles that have been designed from the ground up to drive themselves—just push a button and they’ll take you where you want to go.”

this makes me sad, and makes me want too keep my old cb even more.
    i want less traffic not more traffic, the people who think this is a good idea should be using the bus or subway, but thats my opinion.
    CB7TUNER.com
    Educating each other one car at a time.

I am with you on that, the fun is the driving. But the experimental BMW 2 Series with this sort of technology can perform racing maneuvers and even drift by itself and that is pretty cool.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/?p=669
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Driverless cars won't be the end of regular cars any time soon. There are something like 150 million regular cars on US roads now. Car sales are ~15M a year. Car manufacturers are nowhere close to coming out with all autonomous lineups. We have plenty of time.

Not to mention most people hate driving, or can't drive. I would rather those people be in driverless cars to make it safer for me on my bike or in my Z. Driverless cars would also cut down traffic.... less accidents, more carpooling, etc etc. And of course there is a huge contingent of people who like driving. Nobody wants a self driving 911 or Mustang GT or whatever. Stop fearing the unknown.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

How I see it though is that a lot of cars with all these electrical gizmos tend to fail and if that auto driving fails then bad things will happen. The argument could be made that is why they have all of the regular controls inside the car just incase, but if a person is too bad at driving then they will not react fast enough, or if they are too lazy to drive they will probably not be ready for that failure.

Comment

lol..
          - car breaks a lower ball joint, tries to keep driving.
          - car runs over a pedestrian, keeps going
          - someone breaks into your car and sets it to drive to a destination 3 hours away (gets out and lets the car drive there empty
          - people start doing dumb things like letting the car take the children to school
          - people modify the cars into beds or picnic tables
          - someone puts a larger engine in the car or high gear ratios

.. .. I can see it coming....

Comment

The new Accord is not fully autonomus, but its pretty close - Self accelerating, braking, and steering - Just saying, the technology is already out there.
            Many cars can now park themselves also.

Googles car is nothing new, the concept has been around for years, I'll bet people said the same "I dont want the car driving itself" when cruise control first came about . . .

Also fully autonomus cars would reduce traffic, not increase it.
            It would pratically eliminate rubbernecking.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              lol..
              - car breaks a lower ball joint, tries to keep driving.
              - car runs over a pedestrian, keeps going
              - someone breaks into your car and sets it to drive to a destination 3 hours away (gets out and lets the car drive there empty
              - people start doing dumb things like letting the car take the children to school
              - people modify the cars into beds or picnic tables
              - someone puts a larger engine in the car or high gear ratios

.. .. I can see it coming....
              I'm going to be honest, I would probably be one of those people, not the first 2 just to be clear.

Comment

Google + Hayabusa + AWD

I think we should be asking what swap will you want to see when the time comes

Pop vTec

Comment

dont like it
                  <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

I would be "that guy" to build a radar scrambler to mess with the vehicle systems.

Automated 1/4 mile races? AutoX? Battle of the programmers?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                      I would be "that guy" to build a radar scrambler to mess with the vehicle systems.

Automated 1/4 mile races? AutoX? Battle of the programmers?
                      Or automated demo derbies!

Comment

I wonder how insurance would work in an automated car. I'm pretty sure that there will be cameras involved with the system but how in the case of it being at fault? Would google be liable?

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                          The new Accord is not fully autonomus, but its pretty close - Self accelerating, braking, and steering - Just saying, the technology is already out there.
                          Many cars can now park themselves also.

Googles car is nothing new, the concept has been around for years, I'll bet people said the same "I dont want the car driving itself" when cruise control first came about . . .

Also fully autonomus cars would reduce traffic, not increase it.
                          It would pratically eliminate rubbernecking.
                          Ya, the new Audi's are the same too. Driver assistance when in rush hour traffic so you don't have to use the gas/brake/steering. I think that is pretty cool for when you are stuck in traffic. BUT I wouldn't want to pay the repair bill if you ever got in an accident.

Comment

I think it's good.

I commute 30 miles each way every day for work.

My drive is a pretty scenic twisty route, so it is tons of fun to drive and especially in good weather.

But the morning after working a double and the baby was up all night, or the weather is shitty, id be nice to set the destination and sleep for an extra 45 mins.

I've read some articles on it, and it is definitely coming. I don't know that they will look to rid the Earth of non automated cars, but just an option to move in that direction I guess.

The only thing I am really concerned with, is the safety of the systems from a hacking standpoint. Unless it can be encrypted well enough that most people could not hack in and cause headaches, I wouldn't trust it.

It's one thing to joke about comandeering a car on a forum, but when you enter a vehicle, you automatically put your trust into that vehicles safety and the safety of the driver.

That's a big risk you take if you can be assured that someone won't remotely control it.

Comment

I see the hacking thing like this. Phones barely get hacked, even when they are connected to public wi fi etc. This stuff is going to be completely sealed up, i.e. no "apps" or customizability. So I would think this would be safer.

I would love the option of a self driving car too. I have to drive up to NY mid June and I'm dreading it. Round trip it will be essentially 2 days of my life wasted on the road.

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                              X