HELP !! I need some Work done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP !! I need some Work done

ok so most of you know about 3 years ago I had Maaco do the rear skins on my quarters and paint the entire car , it looked great until now , every single weld they did is bubbling , every crease of metal that was welding on is showing air pocket type bubbles like surface rust .. also at the bottom in the rear door sill where the dogleg of the metal skins I provided didnt reach they threw in bondo .. and now it came out so in both rear door sills i have holes down to the rocker .. Im very close to giving up on this CB if someone somewhere doesnt do this the right way , Im a single dad im broke 90% of the time but if someone is good with a welder and body work can grind these quarters out .. fix the mistakes maaco made and refab some rockers .. and a small bit of the innner wheel housings , then it would be mint , problem is maaco sucks and the welder sucks so I will not go to themfor body work ever again , sure a cheapo paint job , but never the actually cut and fabrication and welding side of things ... I can only probably do like parts at a time financially so Im looking for someone local or even a few states away , but then I would need some idea of pricing cause I would like to make it one or two trips .. Ive seen some cars with huge gaping rust holes in them and people come out a year later with nice mint cars .. what body place did they goto , I cant find anyone that will even do the job cause its rust related ...

Please help if anyone can suggest anyone , or work on it themselves and do it RIGHT this time .. ???
    Fore Sale" My Ride "Best Time To Date 14.9 @ 94 MPH ...

Body shops should be able to take care of your problem. I don't live in your area so I can't really recommend a shop to you. However, doesn't Maaco warranty their work? If so, they should fix the problems your car is having, since their patches didn't work right.

Comment

Originally posted by gcvphoto View Post
      Body shops should be able to take care of your problem. I don't live in your area so I can't really recommend a shop to you. However, doesn't Maaco warranty their work? If so, they should fix the problems your car is having, since their patches didn't work right.
      Yeah maaco is supposed to warranty there work , but for a year and for some reason the panels didn't push til now and the bondo took a year or so to fall out the rear door sills so I'm screwed, I showed it to the owner and he said basically these things aren't warrantied forever and sent me on my way , I think the problem is they didn't rebuild the inner fenderwell and quarter, it seems they just skinned over it not caring about what can't be seen , but who knows cause I can't see behind there

Comment

In all honestly when it comes to panel and paint it's a case of "you get what you pay for"
        I wouldn't know of anyone near you, However when you do find someone - ensure that they know how to do the job properly.
        Ask around, drive around, and find out what people know about the shop you plan on using.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

The only place I can suggest is the place that did my quarters...but when I had them do the work, I had the full quarters for them to work with. The bodyshop did fabricate inner wheelhouses out of Maxima pieces he had laying around.

I also lost my car for 2.5 months, which I'm sure probably isn't an option for you Sean. I can give you the information if you'd like though.

Comment

you live to far away! or I'd hook ya up
            "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
              The only place I can suggest is the place that did my quarters...but when I had them do the work, I had the full quarters for them to work with. The bodyshop did fabricate inner wheelhouses out of Maxima pieces he had laying around.

I also lost my car for 2.5 months, which I'm sure probably isn't an option for you Sean. I can give you the information if you'd like though.
              Are you kidding , I havent driven the car in 4 months atleast , I have a winter car so if losing the car for a few months but getting it done right is the way , Im down info would be nice ... ..PLEASE ...

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
              you live to far away! or I'd hook ya up
              Im telling you right now , Im almost ready to drive it anywhere .. road trips dont scare me , I was willing to somehow bring it to my mother in FLA , if she knew anyone , wich is 23.5 hours from here driving , I want it done right .. Im not even playin , its a case where I dont love the car anymore cause , I feel like unmotivated to keep it since the body is messed up ... Im basically tryin to see if I can make this shell worth keeping the car and not moving onto a different platform all together ...
              Please feel free to give some insite on what you could help me with, cause I remember a long time go reading a thread about you painting your own car I beleive .. hint hint link link ..
              Last edited by evil_demon_01; 02-14-2010, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Look for a body shop that does classic car restoration... MOst collision centers do crap work.

The classic car shops usually know how to work the metal and the old school body guys dont like bondo...

Also just talk to some people... word of mouth is the best advertising

Click it.... You know you wanna
                Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

Originally posted by 91kid View Post
                  Look for a body shop that does classic car restoration... MOst collision centers do crap work.

The classic car shops usually know how to work the metal and the old school body guys dont like bondo...

Also just talk to some people... word of mouth is the best advertising
                  I have found a few of these places and idk about where you live but here they dont even want my car in there shop , they have these shitty attitudes like they wanna ask me if im serious or not ... and they tell me they are too busy to even bring it in ..although as im walkin in the place 3 guys are sitting down drinkin coffee ...not even workin at all ..

Comment

Alot of Collision Centers do fall in a rut.

They work off commision, including myself.
                    Sometimes we do look at a car and think why the heck do they want to fix this.. Luckily our shop has mainly a younger generation as it's staff so this doesn't happen alot.

Being a shop that gives a lifetime warrenty on all the work we do, we aren't to found of plastic fillers either.

just last thursday a fellow brought in his GMC 1500 90's model with rust around the fenderwells where the chrome bolts up.

My boss assigned the hole job to me,,"normally i get paid to paint prep and paint" even I the painter knew what neede to be done, so i went ahaed and cut all the rust out untill fresh metal was found, it ended up being a 2"X3" patch, i spent a few hours cutting and crinding till the patch filled the cut hole perfectly, once it did i welded it up untill it was solid grinding in between. once done and ground, it looked like no work had been done and we were just seeing fresh ground metal.
                    A lil hammer and dolling kept any plastic filler down to the bare minimum, basically a frig magnet would still stick without issue.
                    Made sure to use the proper etch primers on the bare metal, that includes on the back of the patch i had inserted.
                    then a good 2k primer, the next day blocked and painted it and the customer picked it up around 3pm.
                    The great part in having a Garmat Downdraft Heat & Pressure Controlled paintbooth.

I have been taught so much by our sisterbodyshop and the older men in their. They really do have great skills and have forgotten more than i prolly know. But when it comes to a commission pay, sometimes they look for whats the easiest and quickest to do. instead of trying to make every customer the happiest.
                    Since we live in a fairly small town, every job we do has exceede expectations, to keep the customers comming back and recomending us.

Their is no perfect job, and sometimes things do go wrong, thats the car buisness for ya. But we do everything in our power to prevent, or to make something right if it does.
                    "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
                      Alot of Collision Centers do fall in a rut.

They work off commision, including myself.
                      Sometimes we do look at a car and think why the heck do they want to fix this.. Luckily our shop has mainly a younger generation as it's staff so this doesn't happen alot.

Being a shop that gives a lifetime warrenty on all the work we do, we aren't to found of plastic fillers either.

just last thursday a fellow brought in his GMC 1500 90's model with rust around the fenderwells where the chrome bolts up.

My boss assigned the hole job to me,,"normally i get paid to paint prep and paint" even I the painter knew what neede to be done, so i went ahaed and cut all the rust out untill fresh metal was found, it ended up being a 2"X3" patch, i spent a few hours cutting and crinding till the patch filled the cut hole perfectly, once it did i welded it up untill it was solid grinding in between. once done and ground, it looked like no work had been done and we were just seeing fresh ground metal.
                      A lil hammer and dolling kept any plastic filler down to the bare minimum, basically a frig magnet would still stick without issue.
                      Made sure to use the proper etch primers on the bare metal, that includes on the back of the patch i had inserted.
                      then a good 2k primer, the next day blocked and painted it and the customer picked it up around 3pm.
                      The great part in having a Garmat Downdraft Heat & Pressure Controlled paintbooth.

I have been taught so much by our sisterbodyshop and the older men in their. They really do have great skills and have forgotten more than i prolly know. But when it comes to a commission pay, sometimes they look for whats the easiest and quickest to do. instead of trying to make every customer the happiest.
                      Since we live in a fairly small town, every job we do has exceede expectations, to keep the customers comming back and recomending us.

Their is no perfect job, and sometimes things do go wrong, thats the car buisness for ya. But we do everything in our power to prevent, or to make something right if it does.
                      Now see this is the kinda work I need done , I know exactly what happen with my ride , I gave them the outter panels of the quarters and they cut out the old and slapped over the new .. they didnt do the inner quarter they just covered over the old crap .. so now what someone would need to do is grind off the metal panels at the weld seem take em off rebuild a portion of the inner fenderwell and quarters , and now since hey slapped bondo where the dogleg meets the door sills redo those with metal and then when that all looks good .. put the outter quarters back on properly .. its really the only way ... now you see you did alot for a 2"x3" spot mine requires more work but it doesnt in my head seem hard , and I dont know anything about it ... just seems they didnt care ...

So when should I drive down ..... LOL

Comment

oh yeah I have a question for yah , since your the painter anyways ...
                        I want to do a finish people dont do often YET ...

Matte Silver , or maybe even matte black , not so it looks primer , the finish im talkin about looks brighter and crisper than primer but still is a duller non mirror finish ... I beleive it may even be called Satin Black or Satin silver ... Im not sure though .. .. I think it would loook nice ..

You have any insite on that kinda finish ? pro's con's ect ??

Just found a pic of the exact finish i would LOVE

Comment

ok so I guess in Black its called "Satin Black" That I like , BUT in silver its called Matte Silver NOT Satin silver ...

Matte Silver :

Comment

i dont know of any places man but what i can tell you is that if you go to fix this issue again..you should find someone who can repair it with new panel skins and who is good at welding, this way here most of all the repair is metal and not bondo..and especially if they dont treat the raw metal properly it will rust out like no other. you get what you pay for...and in maaco's case not so good.
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

i do have a the capability to give the matte shime over any color.
                              and yes silver looks awsome in a matte finish.

I don't use a matte paint, the clearcoat actually has an agent i add to give the reliability of a clearcoated finsh, it sprays on shiney, but flattens out once baked.

yes what i had to do for such a lil spot was alot of work, difficult no,, not at all, just time consoming.

I'll bet they spent as much time on your big panel as i did on that lil spot.

What you need isn't difficult, but to do it right, the jam would need to be repainted as well.

I need to do a how to for this one day.
                              Last edited by KeeleDesign; 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM.
                              "Self Renewed"

Comment

Working...
                              X