Any sport bike riders here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping wheelies + changing sprockets doesn't make you a good rider

Actually, one could argue that it makes you a bad rider... riding safe is all about having the skills and making the choices to minimize risk + avoid accidents. Popping wheelies does neither.

And riding is a good way to build skills, but if you are on a bike that is so far out of your range of ability that you are more focused on keeping the bike from getting away from you than how to ride, wouldn't you say you're probably not gonna learn as fast or well as someone who is on a bike more their speed?

SS posted a link to a thread about dudes who jumped on 250s and instantly became better + more confident riders (in an environmetn that is actually a measure of TRUE riding skill- a road course/track). You look around the internet, folks w/actual experience all say the same shit about beginner bikes:

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/cho...ide-89771.html

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new...ner-bikes.html

http://forums.sportrider.com/70/5918...ted/index.html

600s for a first bike is a bad idea

You might "survive", but you will never be as good of a rider as you can be. When I leave NYC, I will get a 250.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
      LOL OMFG.... SERIOIUSLY!!!!

Listen, its not about fuckin ego, or fuckin how big my dick is because i want to start with a 600cc... this thread is about those who are experienced riders and why did they chose their bikes. IF YOU CANNOT ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS GTFO MY THREAD. I dont wanna hear shit about what you read or watched, because this is all i am reading from you. if you're not an experienced rider then don't post. If you care about my safety, then thank you. but i dont need all this preaching about riding a 250cc first when the question is not even about that.

might as well tell a noob driver girl that she cant start off with a 400hp m3 because its too much power for her and that she should start with a nissan leaf first.
      If its not about ego or dick size, why don't you want to put the time in on a beginner bike? There is no logical reason to start on a bigger bike, you are putting yourself at needless risk to protect your ego/image.

And yea, putting someone w/no driving experience behind the wheel of a 400HP M3 is a bad idea, how could you argue otherwise?

Are you looking to actually ride the bike or just buy it to have it?

I started off on a 650cc, and while I am OK on it now, the power definitely got me in trouble a few times. I chose it cause it was a crazy killer deal, it is fuel injected, and was supposedly a good beginner bike. Its nowhere near as powerful as an R6, but I would still say it is too much for a full on beginner (which you are).
      Last edited by gloryaccordy; 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
        If its not about ego or dick size, why don't you want to put the time in on a beginner bike? There is no logical reason to start on a bigger bike, you are putting yourself at needless risk to protect your ego/image.

if its not about ego then why do you keep telling me to put my ego aside?!?! if its not about ego, then don't bring up the word.

I've already been riding on 600s and i am doing pretty well on it thank you. ive ridden sv650s and the gsxr600 i can tell the difference in handling, i can take turns better on the gsxr because of the suspension. I can compare rides. Because you have a shitty experience doesn't mean im having one. Good luck with your 250cc and i wish you master it. I'm already learning to master the 600s already hence WHY i want an 600cc as my first bike. Yes i am a beginner but i am learning fast. Even if you say you ride, you still not giving me factual information about the style of the 600/650/700 or whatever other than its too much power for you and you need to step down in size. Are you sure you ride?

if i go down and i create a thread and bitch about it. then by all means, you have the green light on ripping me about how i should of started a 250cc and why i couldnt put my ego aside. But as long as the thread isnt about that, stop posting.
        Last edited by GHOST 2.2; 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Lol so suspensions you can't even push to 30-40% of their capacity are holding you back.

Good fucking luck.
          Last edited by gloryaccordy; 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Lol so suspensions you can't even push to 30-40% of their capacity are holding you back.

Good fucking luck.
            get off my thread.

Comment

for the rest of you guys out there, yes i am still new to the scene but i have very little experience on other bikes. ive only experienced the gsxr and sv. I've always liked the style and the looks of the r6 hence why i want one. but i dont have experience riding one. all i ask in this thread is everyone else point of views on the bike they have ridden and experience. its not about me, its about you guys. if that simple question cannot be answered, then please do not post.

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
                for the rest of you guys out there, yes i am still new to the scene but i have very little experience on other bikes. ive only experienced the gsxr and sv. I've always liked the style and the looks of the r6 hence why i want one. but i dont have experience riding one. all i ask in this thread is everyone else point of views on the bike they have ridden and experience. its not about me, its about you guys. if that simple question cannot be answered, then please do not post.
                From why I rode a guy my size has been most comfortable on a Honda or Yamaha (I'm 5'8 165) gsxr's were more for taller people, and a Kawasaki was the most uncomfortable for me. Yamahas were a little bent over more than the gsxr but when I rode for more than two hours on anything other than a Harley I was uncomfortable. Either bike you're looking at will be fine.

Comment

Popping wheelies + changing sprockets doesn't make you a good rider

Actually, one could argue that it makes you a bad rider... riding safe is all about having the skills and making the choices to minimize risk + avoid accidents. Popping wheelies does neither.

And riding is a good way to build skills, but if you are on a bike that is so far out of your range of ability that you are more focused on keeping the bike from getting away from you than how to ride, wouldn't you say you're probably not gonna learn as fast or well as someone who is on a bike more their speed?

600s for a first bike is a bad idea.
                  I never claimed to be a good rider. I just said by my second year I was already doing wheelies and that my 600 stock sprockets weren't fast enough, kind of how people take out their f22's and swap it with an h22. I also think that if you can learn to turn with a heavier 600 and whip that around then jumping on a 250 you be able to drag a knee around a corner with no problem. Weight is huge while turning, you know that I assume riding a motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
                    I never claimed to be a good rider. I just said by my second year I was already doing wheelies and that my 600 stock sprockets weren't fast enough, kind of how people take out their f22's and swap it with an h22. I also think that if you can learn to turn with a heavier 600 and whip that around then jumping on a 250 you be able to drag a knee around a corner with no problem. Weight is huge while turning, you know that I assume riding a motorcycle.
                    Well at least you admit to not being a good rider. No offense you sound like a squid (I really dont mean to offend).

Its not even the weight, 600s are pretty light. The R6 has always been very light. Its, how much would it suck if dude dropped it + cracked the expensive fairings doing a u turn (if he ever even learns how). Happens all the time. What happens if dude gets caught in a situation, panics, and locks up the front with the bike leaned over. Supersports don't forgive, they are made for experts to race and bite back hard if you flinch. And new riders are guaranteed to flinch.

New riders are supposed to learn all the subtle shit in riding. Throttle + clutch control for example. Def harder on a SS with the snappy throttle and hard racing clutch. Scanning for traffic. Hard to do when you're hunched over the tank with your neck craned. Emergency braking. Shit happens... on a supersport, shit could happen and you could put yourself over the bars. Thats all just super basic shit. So dude gets spooked a few times, winds up being scared of the bike + quits riding (heard this so many times). Or dude gets overconfident, succumbs to physics. Or someone else fucks up, and he doesn't have the skills to avoid what could have been a non-incident because of the controls or performance of the bike. Then what? It happens literally all the time.

I love SSs. They are awesome. They ride awesome even just tooling around. But after a year and a couple thousand miles, I know I'm not ready. I think I will be once I get some track time done (which everyone w/a sport bike should do. Lol @ owning a supersport and never hitting a road course). So I am just curious as to how dude knows he is w/basically zero real miles.
                    Last edited by gloryaccordy; 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I think his review was spot on. This should give you some feedback.

The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Ghost If you're on a 600 already and feel comfortable you'll be fine. Like I said before it's all about rider mentality and control. While I don't totally disagree with all the other advice I think you have to be riding like an idiot/out of control to really get into trouble. All these 6's revving to 20k rpm, anything around town below 5,6,7k and it feels like a scooter. lol

As for your original question on why I got the bike I got is because I wanted to upgrade from my 900 to something of at least equal size, fuel injector, and relatively new. I wanted a CBR1000rr but the CBR's are typically higher priced on the used market than the other brands. I found this Yamaha for a good deal and was skeptical at first but after riding it I was sold. I'm not sure I could ever go back to Honda now. I will say though that the riding position is probably the absolute worst but she rides so good.

Comment

I take no offense. I just know that I do know how to ride a bike in a completely different area than yours. I don't have to worry about taxis taking me out and pedestrians everywhere (Assuming that's what it's like it NY) I ride out on backroads and highway, and I ride at my skill level. If you think I'm a squid that's perfectly fine, by how you're talking and off your posts I would feel confident outriding you any day, but this is all internet bench racing, and I don't even have my bike anymore because I figured a house was more important, but this thread isn't about that.

Like I said before, The R6 and GSXR600 are compareable, and you can't go wrong with either one, and I've ridden both. I rode an 07 GSXR600, all stock. I was dissapointed with the power, but I was also used to my R6 which was modified. I also rode an 05 R6, and an 09 R6, both with slip ons. Both were comfortable (as comfortable as a streetbike can be) I don't think you'll be dissapointed with either one. But keep in mind, a streetbike is made to do two things, that is turn and be fast. I might be biased because I owned one, but I say go for the R6 Ghost.

Comment

R6, GSXR600, CBR600RR, Zx6R They are all pretty comparible. I've riden everything but the zx6r. To me they all feel the same. I rode a GSXR1000 around for a while and that was pretty fun because it had a lot of low and top end. The 600's seem like dogs downlow until you gear them differently.

Go with whatever you choose, it sounds like you already have your mind made up. Got pics? I say go for the Raven, loving those blackies...
                            H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I would love to ride with you guys. Glory, you really gotta come up by me. I can take you on some nice backroads where it's nothing but you and some nice curves. None of that bs that goes on in the city.

Comment

Its a hike man. I def do wanna come up. I know some other forum people who do rides up the Palisades/Nyack all the time. Just need to get up and out there.

I still really wanna do a track day though. We should hit up Montecello, I think that is somewhat close to you

Comment

Working...
                                X