So.Cal Mechanics Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So.Cal Mechanics Thread

I know there isn't many or any certified mechanics here, but since most of us have learned by experience, I think this would be a good thread to state your problems/symptoms with your car and have anyone with any experience to offer some help,advice or what evers.

Try to keep this on topic.

Problem or symptom: (state your problem here)
    Solution: (any solutions to the previous poster's problem or your solutions)
    Cost: (rough estimate of x amount of dollars here)

Problem:
    My car died on me on the freeway today. All electronics were working, but the engine completly shut off. As soon as I layed to a stop, I couldn't start up the car anymore. So I layed stranded on the shoulder for a good 2 minutes. I tried it firing up and it started. I took the streets home.

Solutions?

I'm thinkin its the ignition coil. I had no experience with repairing it, but I'm hoping someone here does. If it isn't the ignition what else could it be?

thanks for any helpful $.02

Comment

your car is a 92-93 right?? if it its, then you have external coil and those don't usually go bad. I would recommend you replaced your iginter to start. or I can do it for you for your springs, you would have to buy the part though.LOL. the igniter is fairly easy. what does anyone else say?
      The beginning of a new era............................
      165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
      184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2
        Problem:
        My car died on me on the freeway today. All electronics were working, but the engine completly shut off. As soon as I layed to a stop, I couldn't start up the car anymore. So I layed stranded on the shoulder for a good 2 minutes. I tried it firing up and it started. I took the streets home.

Solutions?

I'm thinkin its the ignition coil. I had no experience with repairing it, but I'm hoping someone here does. If it isn't the ignition what else could it be?

Coil or ignitor and maybe even the main relay...
        www.stickydiljoe.com

Comment

ignition where the key turns. that was my problem with my 4 dr ex plus main relay.
          getto mechanics unite heheh i sorry im drunk
          contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

Problem:

Solutions?

i know im norcal but ill throw in some feedback.

Problem:

crusing down the el camino after getting a full tank of gas. the tach immediately drops to zero and i cannot start the car. after getting it towed, the car only liked to start at random moments.

Solution:

tested coil = fine
            main relay = fine (can hear fuel pump prime)
            replacted ignitor and everything works cherry which is weird because i thought the entire distributor had replaced internals and what not. id highly check the ignitor even though there is no CEL.

so from what i have experienced, it will either just shut off on you or the tach will begin jumping after a certain rpm (it was 3k for me when it happened the very first time). take a multimeter to the coil and test the primary and negative leads. the resistance/voltage numbers are in the manual.
            Last edited by wed3k; 05-28-2007, 10:15 PM.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Problem:

Solutions?

This exact thing happened to me a few months back. It's probably just the ignitor but i ended up just replacing the entire distributor with one from Pep boys that has a lifetime warranty.

Cost: $200

Time for fix: 15 minutes
              ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

same thing happened on my previous cb. took it to the stealership and they replaced my whole ignition unit.

so im guessing i have to do the same with this one. damn accords and bad ignitions!

so worst case scenerio is a bad ignition period?

thanks for the .02 guys!

Comment

ignition?? not the ignition switch right?? we are talking about the igniter correct?? stealership, hahaha. that's a good one.
                  The beginning of a new era............................
                  165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                  184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

replace ignitor and go from there
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I believe that if it was the coil, you would have never started the car again. So I'll go with the ignition switch, or maybe ignitor.

My swap thread
                      Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

next time that happens check for spark right after it turns off on you, if no spark then most likely your igniter, could be the ignition switch as mentioned also,
                        Members Ride

Comment

one problem i have is with the seat belts the driver side automatic shoulder belt doesnt retract back. it stays in the front and seat belt light blinks and makes beep beep beep noise. i think it might be the seat belt control unit
                          contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

chan i had the same problem just when it started getting hot, its not your control unit, the whole seatbelt assembly that goes along the pillar is out, you can get it at the junkyard for 30 bucks i think maybe less, i guarantee thats your problem
                            Members Ride

Comment

Would it be covered under the dealer lifetime seatbelt warranty?

My swap thread
                              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Working...
                              X