CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Audio/Electronics

Old 10-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

wtfisafleek is cool... so far.
Need help selecting proper speakers

I took off my front door panel the other day and noticed the cone of my speaker had failed. I've never been a big car audio guy so I don't think I'll be looking to build a full-blown system with amps, crossovers and tweeters. I just want to replace the stock stuff with quality speakers that will sound good and work with the stock headunit and wiring.

Can someone recommend some middle-of-the-road speakers for the doors?
wtfisafleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member

F22Chris is cool... so far.
Alpine and higher end Pioneer products have never let me down in quality & sound. Just stay away from brands like Dual, Pyramid, and Rockwood. Sony xplod products suck too.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

Awesome, thanks Chris.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
If you've got the 6.5 inch speakers, Honda offered an upgraded dual cone speaker that is plug and play. I have a full set in my 90 LX. Might still be some available if I can find the Honda PN.

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

Working to relink my pictures. Please be patient. If there is one you particularly want to see, let me know.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

No thanks Fleetwood. Even if there's any still around, I'm sure the decent quality speakers on the market are better.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
For regular guys( non car audio people) I always recommended Infinity speakers. They have always sounded good to me.

Alpine would be my next choice. The engineer that worked there used to post good information on one of the car audio forums.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
yh61r
CB7tuner Member

yh61r is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
For regular guys( non car audio people) I always recommended Infinity speakers. They have always sounded good to me.

Alpine would be my next choice. The engineer that worked there used to post good information on one of the car audio forums.
You do know Infinity is top-of-the-line JBL/Harman Kardon, right? Way to good for your average Joe...

Alpine is too good for your average Joe, too.

I'd recommend either the cheapest, JVC, or the second cheapest, the same I have, JBL Club 5020's. They sound great. Really. They have bad low frequencies but that's not what these kind of drivers are made for anyway. That's what Subwoofers are for. I have a cheap, 1990's subwoofer, combined with the JBL Club 5020's, once roughly tuned (HPF @ 125 hz), the setup will sound great. All that for sub $200, new.
yh61r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
Yes I do, but I would not recommend Walmart speakers nor would I recommend Hertz Mille.

What I listed, I feel is perfect middle ground, easily obtainable speakers at a great price point for 4 coaxial speakers that bolt right in.

Edit: Also, the speakers I mentioned aren't "that" good, even the higher end models of that brand are OK.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #9
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisafleek View Post
No thanks Fleetwood. Even if there's any still around, I'm sure the decent quality speakers on the market are better.
That's true. Couldn't find any anyway.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #10
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

Has anyone ever used the little adapter harnesses from Metra for connecting aftermarket seakers to the stock wiring connectors? I found the Metra 72-7800 on Crutchfield. It looks like it would keep me from having to splice my existing wires like I did the fronts.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
Jon
Contributing Member

Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisafleek View Post
Has anyone ever used the little adapter harnesses from Metra for connecting aftermarket seakers to the stock wiring connectors? I found the Metra 72-7800 on Crutchfield. It looks like it would keep me from having to splice my existing wires like I did the fronts.
Yep, used them and they work fine. Also if you ever want to turn around and sell the car, the next owner will love you for it.

EDIT: BTW, I'm running Pioneer Premier REV 6.5"s all around, love them.

Last edited by Jon; 12-07-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

I think that model's been around for a while IIRC. Those do sound good. I ended up getting a cheaper model though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: