Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were replacing your TSX today what would you be looking at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were replacing your TSX today what would you be looking at?

While I'm in no rush to relinquish my '04 I have thought about what new car today would potentially fill that void. Up until recently I'm surprised at myself for not considering a Honda or Acura product. Don't get me wrong since I do admire the new Accord and to a lesser degree the current TLX. But both feel lacking in some undefineable way...

All this brings me to the new Kia Stinger and upcoming Genesis G70. The Stinger is an attractive and interesting car on several kevels includung style, performance and value but it's the new G70 that has me interested especially with the availability of a manual transmission. Add in that both offer rear wheel or AWD it seems to be closer to the type of cars I'm attracted to.

The biggest obstacle would be my wife who recalls her nephew's '87 Hyundai which was the poster car for everything wrong with malaise era vehicles in general and Hyundai specifically. Even though the company has truly reinvented itself in the last 10 years I still wish these were Honda products... thoughts?
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Honestly bro I would be all over a Lexus IS or Infinity Q series, them things are sexy as hell!.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I'd simply go one generation newer, but then I'm not as keen on having a brand-new car. That Sport Wagon is too cool. A manual transmission conversion shouldn't be that hard to do, given that it was an option for the sedan, and the K's got obvious potential.

Brand-new: still on that wagon kick, I'd go 2018 3-series touring with the gasoline engine.
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-18-2018, 04:12 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I too have an 04 TSX with 278,000km. I'm DYING to replace it and think I am soon. Acura spoils you too. No way I could go back to a Honda Accord nevermind a civic.

The car I was going to replace it with was a 2011 Acura ILX with Tech Package. Change the grill and it would be perfect. I don't like the TLs but this one looked nice! It was black, 6 speed, etc. Looked like this:

But I think that car has sold now, so I'm on the look again when my taxes are done. And i have no clue. No way I'd ever go with something that feels cheap (Kia, Civics, Hyundai). I have never heard anything bad about Nissan's so I may go with that too. Subaru.. no. Chevy, ford, blah blah, no way. I like my cars to be unique and not feel cheap.

If money wasn't an option I'd go with a TLX Tech A-Spec, that thing looks amazing!! But even the 2018 Camry SE looks amazing too. I did see the Kia whatever and thought it looked amazing but then seen the badge and realized it's quality will suck. But like the Hyundai E30? G30? ... huge boat with every technological thing you could think of! Looks amazing but I just can't trust them.

So it really depends on what you want. All brands have something that looks good, so depends on your requirements.

Comment

Interesting to see where everyone's head is at on this...

As Ive grown older I still feel the urge to remain brand loyal even though Honda & Acura's reliability has suffered. They seem to have adopted the strategy of other main stream cars and that is unfortunate. Since I keep our cars a long time I tend to nitpick and if its one thing that truly bothers me it's obvious cost cutting.

Of all the Asian cars I've never been a Nissan fan I'm not sure why but I remember reading they beat their suppliers mercilessly on cost. So when problems occur with recalls it's tough to get parts and quality tends to suffer.

While I'm sure Lexus & Infiniti do a fine job I think they are a little pricey for what they offer. They definitely don't have the same value proposition as Acura but perhaps that's just splitting hairs.

But I do see Kia and Hyundai improving their upper range models significantly and since Kia doesn't have a luxury channel like Genesis their models cross both mainstream and premium. Hyundai's Genesis is gaining ground but without a crossover yet they aren't on most people's radar. Their suspensions and handling have really improved recently since they poached the project engineer of BMW's M series cars. I just think there is still this psychological barrier that many still have about Hyundai & Kia.

Of course I'm focusing on new cars but you guys are right. If you widen the field to include used then the world's your oyster...
          My Collection:

Comment

I was disappointed by the IS350 at the auto show. I think it’s an absolutely beautiful car, but it didn’t feel right inside. The older IS300 is just kinda cheapie inside (though the engine is preferable to the V6 in the new one!)

I think the Infiniti cars are blobby. I’m considering an older blob myself... but I still don’t love the design.

If you’re not set on a luxury brand, check out the Mazda 6. Of all the cars I checked out at the auto show this past winter, the 6 is the one that truly impressed me. Not “for what it was”, but overall... pitted against all the German luxury and everything! Th only cars that may have surpassed it were Audis coating 3x as much (I do love the S7!)

Genesis isn’t a bad option, but I do still feel they’re not quite hitting the mark. I’d give the brand one more generation to really be on par with their target competition. I’ve also seen many turbo Hyundais blowing smoke (black and blue...) long before they have any right to be.

Comment

As much as I'd hate myself for doing it, I'd pick up a Giulia.

1. It's different, I rarely see them on the road.
              2. It's got a great size for daily commuting, probably like the 1G TSX. I haven't compared the dimensions.
              3. Handles great from what I hear.
              4. Interior seems to be quality, I don't think it's FCA parts bin stuff.
              5. Reliability......haha

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                ...... I have never heard anything bad about Nissan's so I may go with that too... ...I like my cars to be unique and not feel cheap.

you said it yourself. Nissan, IMO, the new ones, are terrible inside and drive like shit. ive driven pathfinders, altima, maxima, titan xd, sentra, versa, you name it. they all suck because the cvt. its nothing like honda's cvt. my friend worked at a nissan dealer, and all he did was replace transmissions under/out of warranty. he was doing at least 2 day and they were backed up. no way in hell would i buy a new nissan.

that said, dont sleep on some ford stuff. i work for ford, (tech) and some of the cars are pretty stout in terms of reliability and holding up. others i would stay away from. the new toyota camry is sweet looking as is the new tlx a-spec, but thats a lot of money to get either car in the nice looking trim.

im caught in the wanting a new car feels right now. i went and priced a new civic si sedan. cant really beat the size of it for how much it costs. only problem is how the dealers market them and how much the mark them up lol. they think its some rare car like the type-r is. FOH lol.
                COUPE K24

Comment

I'm very interested in a VW Golf R. Specifically the 2018 version since they made a lot of nice updates to the exterior, bigger brakes, LED head/tail lights, Digital Cockpit cluster is fantastic, and you can choose up to 30 different custom colors.

The interior is very well appointed and the seats are perfectly built for long distance driving. I rented a Golf R, 2016, manual on Turo in Phoenix last summer and took it up to Jerome, Sedona Flagstaff and back. Drove it spiritedly and still averaged 26mpg for the entire trip including the drive up the windy mountain road. VW even has an awesome 6yr 72k mile warranty now on all 2018+ models.

He's still renting it on Turo if you want to check it out for a day or weekend to see how you like it

https://turo.com/rentals/cars/az/pho...-golf-r/223475
                  Last edited by Losiracer2; 04-19-2018, 03:21 AM.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

ive never heard of turo... ill be damned if i let some random person beat the brakes off my car lol.
                    COUPE K24

Comment

My friend just turo’d a Maserati in Miami a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
                        im caught in the wanting a new car feels right now. i went and priced a new civic si sedan. cant really beat the size of it for how much it costs. only problem is how the dealers market them and how much the mark them up lol. they think its some rare car like the type-r is. FOH lol.
                        My best friend bought an Si sedan a few weeks ago. Outside of the throttle response which was fixed by his Hondata flash, I was VERY impressed by it. It drove great, had a sublime shifter, will pull a 0.97g on summer tires and still gets fantastic gas mileage. In Sport model it feels great.

It's now my go-to enthusiast recommendation in the sub-30K range. I do prefer it to the WRX and Focus ST. The ST had some great mid-range, but I'm not wild about the interior layout. I did like how much the tail could rotate on the ST, though. The WRX was fun and Subaru has done a fantastic job improving the car, but after driving the Civic Si, I do prefer the Civic.

Comment

^ Put a thicker rear sway bar on the Si and it'll rotate more. I can feel my RSX rotate around certain turns (still front-biased, but a thicker rear to even them out is planned), it is indeed a cool feeling.
                          Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-20-2018, 03:21 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Yaaa, ok i just changed my mind about Nissan :P

- CVT transmissions suck and are simply no fun
                            - few cars are now manual (booo)
                            - Kia is now making great cars, but like ford have a bad rep
                            - Subaru has great cars, but ahh ya. no thanks
                            - Mazda always had great cars but were the "civic" class. But the Mazda 6 looks great.
                            - The new 2018 Camry looks like an Acura
                            - I don't know WTF Honda is doing anymore... button push tranmission gear
                            - New Audi's I just drool at and dream of owning one.... really can someone buy me a S4 , I'll even take an A4.

New VW Golf R is amazing! But my X-girlfriend had one and another girl I knew had a 09 rabbit, and like the Miata I now see them as girl cars. You put eye lashes on them, they're small and nimble and cute. I wish I could lose this feeling as they are so cool. I seen one back out of a parking spot the other day and the rear trunk VW button/latch opened on it's own when he reversed (all mechanical robot like). When he drove off it closed shortly after. I couldn't figure it out right away and then it hit me 10min down the road! But can't imagine this working too well (or breaking) in the winter when ice and snow keep it closed.

Oh, found out yesterday I now have the $$$ to buy something.

Comment

I should have started this thread by saying if you were looking for a "spiritual successor" to the TSX which new Asian cars would you consider. I don't see similar value and reliability coming from the Europeans.

Perhaps it's all tied to dwindling passenger cars sales. But the world has gone CUV crazy so car companies are killing off what isn't profitable and cars are just not getting it done in terms of sales. Last I read the Accord & Camry are the last 2 selling in any real numbers and both of those have seen big declines since 2010!

I'm sure there will be niche models from various manufacturers in the future but those will be less mainstream, lower numbers and more expensive. So in the end I don't see too bright a future for the return of the cars we care about. I do know this - if people don't start stepping up to manual transmissions soon Honda and anyone else still offering them will end that experiment!

While the Civic Si may come closest to the size, handling and performance of the original TSX. I feel it's level of luxury and design may fall short since it's just not as premium as an Acura. As for Acura IMO the TLX is too big, it's style has grown on me a little but it's now at the end of it's life cycle and it's 9-spd trannsmission hasn't held up well. It would be encouraging if they add the 6-spd in the next gen but who knows. Lastly the ILX should have been a no brainer after all the Integra was a successfully based on the Civic but somehow Acura managed to screw the pooch on this one too. It's plaqued by numerous quality issues and the way it's been selling along with other passenger cars I'd be surprised to see it return for another iteration.

That's why when I began to see what Genesis was doing with the G70 I took notice. It's based on the same mechanicals as the Stinger so it starts off as a RWD but in a slightly smaller size. Unlike the Stinger it's not a hatchback. While it's base 4 cylinder engines put out 255 hp @ 6,200 rpm the twin turbo V6 is 365 hp @ 6,000 rpm.

Not sure how their AWD compares with Acura's SHAWD but the Stinger reviews lead me to believe it's pretty good. Styling is attractive but since that is subjective I'll wait to see it in person first. But if the success of the Stinger is any indicator this should be a decent smaller sport sedan. That is if Hyundai doesn't blow it with first year new model development issues. Of course long term reliability of turbos in general is cause for concern too but at least Hyundai has a 10 year power train warranty. Which makes you wonder why doesn't Honda given their transmission reliability issues?

In the end I may be too brand loyal to ever buy a Genesis and guess I can't help wonder why Acura isn't doing cars like these? I feel like Honda has improved but the competition may be gaining...
                              Last edited by hiptech; 04-20-2018, 07:58 AM.
                              My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                              X