Clutch Pedal Making Clicking noise?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Pedal Making Clicking noise?!

Hey Guys, so today my clutch petal starting making creaking and popping noises. What's especially annoying is the popping noise, because you can feel a bit of resistance when pressing in, and letting out the clutch.

It makes the same noises when the car is off, on or moving. I was suspecting throwout bearing, (because it's an XTD cheapie one) but idk? The popping noise seems to come from underneath the hood. I put in brand new clutch master, slave, clutch line, and new XTD 6 puck un-sprung clutch when I did the manual conversion.

Here's a video, where hopefully you can hear what I'm talking about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI8AwhF2FUU
    I'm faster then a prius

Try greasing the master cylinder rod yet (under the dash)?

I've heard this before and thought nothing of it. Just dry parts rubbing against each other. I can't hear a click in the video though.

Comment

This happened on my TSX a few years ago. After greasing everything I could find it was only marginally helpful. In the end I replaced the clutch pedal assembly and that fixed the problem.
      My Collection:
      93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
      00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
      04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

I'll try spraying some WD-40 at stuff, usually helps with finding squeaks. The squeak is whatever, it's the doggone clicking that drives me nuts. It's not just a noise, you feel it in the pedal.
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
          I'll try spraying some WD-40 at stuff, usually helps with finding squeaks. The squeak is whatever, it's the doggone clicking that drives me nuts. It's not just a noise, you feel it in the pedal.
          And that is exactly what I encountered... the clicking drove me mad and was telegraphed through the pedal. The squeak almost went away but the clicking persisted. Unfortunately as mentioned nothing else resolved the clicking except replacing the clutch pedal assembly.
          My Collection:
          93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
          00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
          04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

just spray all the linkages in the system, so anywhere the pedal hinges on and swivels.

you could also try removing the pins, scuffing them up with some sandpaper and then reinserting them to see if that helped? Its usually corrosion or some surface contaminants causing this noise, similar to rear brake drums squeaking when you press the brake pedal.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
              This happened on my TSX a few years ago. After greasing everything I could find it was only marginally helpful. In the end I replaced the clutch pedal assembly and that fixed the problem.
              I have the same TSX and the click noise is a known issue. Even if you replace it with an OEM one you'll have the same problem. A good tech at Acura replaced mine with the heel toe aftermarket version which does not have the clicking sound. But I never heard of a cb7 having the clicking issue, the other sound I have heard but usually just a cheap master cylinder where parts rub the wrong way etc.

Comment

Is my clutch master possibly bad?..

The thing is, when I drive the car for the first time everyday, the clutch pedal feels great, after driving around for it bit the clicking starts to appear.
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                  Is my clutch master possibly bad?..

The thing is, when I drive the car for the first time everyday, the clutch pedal feels great, after driving around for it bit the clicking starts to appear.
                  Hmm could be the same issue I guess. The acura issue is just an annoyance. The issue comes with temperature (hot days) and usually one will hear a click sound on the first press of the pedal when it's near the floor and you feel it in your foot a millimeter. You may or may not get the click on the 2nd or 3rd press of the pedal, usually not. (kind of like once the pedal is loaded / under pressure it's not there).

Of the course the problem is just a cheap master cylinder. While the issue is plastered all over the internet the dealership never released a re-call for the issue and people just put up with it. Kind of annoying really. There are aftermarket replacements that do not have this issue. This is the one I put in the 04 TSX to fix it.

BUT....... reading your post again you said the sound is in your engine bay. So what this sounds like is a worn slave cylinder + dry ball. Get someone to push the clutch with the car off and listen to the slave cylinder to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    Hmm could be the same issue I guess. The acura issue is just an annoyance. The issue comes with temperature (hot days) and usually one will hear a click sound on the first press of the pedal when it's near the floor and you feel it in your foot a millimeter. You may or may not get the click on the 2nd or 3rd press of the pedal, usually not. (kind of like once the pedal is loaded / under pressure it's not there).

Of the course the problem is just a cheap master cylinder. While the issue is plastered all over the internet the dealership never released a re-call for the issue and people just put up with it. Kind of annoying really. There are aftermarket replacements that do not have this issue. This is the one I put in the 04 TSX to fix it.

BUT....... reading your post again you said the sound is in your engine bay. So what this sounds like is a worn slave cylinder + dry ball. Get someone to push the clutch with the car off and listen to the slave cylinder to find out.
                    When me and BreckAConner put everything in, I don't think we put any grease on the ball thing. The slave is brand new, so that would be really dumb if that was the issue. I'm gonna try oiling it when I get a chance.
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I had my pedal start squeaking on me a few months after I did my 5 speed swap. Some liquid wrench spray lithium grease pretty much solved the issue completely and it's been about two years since I greased it last. I believe the source of the clicking might be the spring for the pedal. It's possible the plastic bushings, for lack of a better term, may have crumbled and broken away similar to how the brake switch buttons fall apart.

Comment

Working...
                      X