Anyone ever have a wheel straightened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever have a wheel straightened?

I was driving to BWWs on Thursday and on the way there I thought I swerved and avoided a massive crater sized pothole, only to hit another massive crater sized pothole directly on the left side of the lane.

Bad news is my left side wheels both fell into this 7 inch deep by 3 ft long pothole at 45mph. I'm amazed that my Blizzaks didn't blow out with that kind of force. It was enough to knock my rearview mirror out of adjustment on my LS400 and its not even lowered, just all stock.

Immediately afterward, the car had a pretty bad shake at 45mph. I got back and jacked up the rear and my LR wheel is bent on the inside. My LF is also slightly bent, not as bad but I think its still going to need to be looked at. Luckily no bent control arms or anything major.

Has anyone ever had a shop straighten a wheel before and had it fixed? or would you only recommend replacement of the wheel? Tire from my inspection looks fine, no bubble or anything.

Massive Pothole I hit...had to go take a photo of it since its my first one to cause this kind of damage

Massive Pothole I knew about for a week, that I swerved around

Bend in my wheel, isn't leaking but a definite hop now

Last edited by Losiracer2; 02-25-2018, 12:26 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Welcome to the great white north - nothing quite like that in AZ I suppose.

I would say that small bend is definitely repairable - just make sure you use a reputable shop. Send them a photo to give then an idea. You might look for a fifth wheel in good shape, get the bent one straightened, but only use it as a full size spare.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      I would say that small bend is definitely repairable - just make sure you use a reputable shop. Send them a photo to give then an idea. You might look for a fifth wheel in good shape, get the bent one straightened, but only use it as a full size spare.
      Yeah, I looked around a little bit, and I found a shop that does the repairs in house, vs. a garage that sends them out. They want 75-100 to straighten it.

But I found an IS350 AWD 18" wheel on Ebay for 100 shipped, though it has some curb rash on it...which I'm OK with since this is my winter set, but I'm worried that could also cause a bend in the rim?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-ALLOY-W...paX9OZ&vxp=mtr

for now, i've put my factory 16" LS wheels on, which will work for now, given the weather isn't too bad, but i don't want to leave them on there too long if it suddenly snows and I've got all seasons on there.

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

You can do a lot of curb rashing without bending the wheel - that is pretty light compared to a couple Accord 12 spokes I have.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I ended up finding a place locally that works extensively with wheel repair. Weldcraft Wheels is the company in Livonia, MI.

They also widen factory OE wheels as well.

They fixed both my wheels for 65 Front and 75 rear. Pretty good turnaround too, in less than 24 hrs for both. I'll just need to paint the bare wheels with something now.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Nice price, and it looks like good work!

I was quoted wheel repair prices starting at $150 per wheel here. Didn’t shop around much, but that’s the figure I’ve had in mind ever since. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find a shop like this!

Comment

I've had wheels completely refinished to like new for $125 a wheel (not sure if that would include minor straightening).

Comment

They do awesome work. They even do wheel widening up to about 1.5" max. I think it was about 250 a wheel if I remember correctly.

My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

So how did they fix this? Do they heat the metal up and physically bend it round again?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    So how did they fix this? Do they heat the metal up and physically bend it round again?
                    I think they used a hydraulic tool to shape and form the wheel outward + a combination of heat and grinding/shaping.

Definitely need to be familiar with metal working for sure to be able to do this correctly otherwise you'll make it worse.

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                    X