Today I discovered the Honda Clarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I discovered the Honda Clarity

I'm recently discovered Honda released this, guess I should follow the news more. But ahhh....... does anyone think this thing looks good?

This has to be the ugliest thing since the Crosstour.
    It looks like 4 guys designed it, one for the front, rear, sides, and interior. And they all stole an idea from a previous model.
    It's the acura/accord front end, with insight rear quarters, and an ugly civic ass.

The stats are great!!

"Charging from a 240-volt tap takes about two and a half hours; from a standard 120-volt wall plug it’s more like 12. With its battery full, the Clarity can travel an EPA-estimated 48 miles on electricity before it has to fire up a 103-hp 1.5-liter inline-four, extending total range to an EPA-rated 340 miles."

"On the road, the Clarity feels a lot like an overloaded Accord. Honda says the plug-in Clarity has a curb weight that tops 4000 pounds, which makes it between 600 and 900 pounds heavier than the company’s family sedan."

Soo..... my crap battery runs out easily (not that i can use the car in battery mode only anyways ), and I'm driving a 4000lbs car with 100HP ??

Junk.

Comment

I really don't know why Honda is bothering trying to come up with new hybrids, the Insight was plenty efficient, hell even the old crx HF was rolling around 50+ mpg.

Comment

Yeah I saw this and the EV version at a car show earlier this year back in Jan. I wasn't impressed although the next gen Insight looks promising.

Im so so on the 10th gen Accord and Im definitely digging the 10th gen Civic.
        Henry R
        Koni/Neuspeed
        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

So let me get this straight...they decided to make a 4 door, 4000lb, compact, hydrogen hybrid car....instead of making a CRZ-Si.

Damn it Honda. They should have made this an Acura product so it can at least be expected to flop.

That was pretty negative of me...meh

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

That's what i don't get about this car. It's a complete failure in every way. It will only do hydrogen in CA and rare states. And it has paddle shifters! but they are not for shifting They are to change the amount of regenerative braking the car will do. And that regen will only get you 60% battery charge, the rest has to come from plugging it in which makes no sense.

BUT you can't put a 100HP engine in a 4000lbs car unless you expect everyone to always have battery power. And one review said it has no transmission, I think it just has this thing which makes sense as it will always use the electric for torque.

Comment

Like the original Clarity (FCX Clarity was the full name, wasn't it?), this one still seems to be a bit of a step toward something more mainstream. It's exploratory. Those that are excited to buy one will happily fork over their dough. It's a big step from the original hydrogen-only version!

I don't love the design, though I don't hate it. Granted, I also think the Crosstour is a great looking vehicle (and I kinda want one... )

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
              I really don't know why Honda is bothering trying to come up with new hybrids, the Insight was plenty efficient, hell even the old crx HF was rolling around 50+ mpg.
              The old CRX HF, along with the original Insight, were obscenely efficient... but they were also about as safe as a Pepsi can in a crash. Driver/passenger safety, pedestrian safety, and a few other factors prevent automakers from simply churning out the smallest, lightest things possible.
              Those cars were also about as practical as a motorcycle in terms of passengers and cargo space. These days, people want space for stuff.

In all honesty, if I were to buy a new hybrid right now, it would be a Hyundai Ioniq. Nearly 50mpg, quite inexpensive, the base model has pretty much all the features I could ask for (thanks Hyundai!), and the car itself doesn't look like it was modeled after a suppository (*cough* Prius *cough*)
              I have no interest in plug-in or alternative fuels.

Sorry for the month-late thread resurrection... I just stumbled across it!

Comment

Working...
              X