CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
DaReal401
Newcomer

DaReal401 is cool... so far.
Manual to Power windows

My Father gave me his 4dr 90 DX which i am now the second owner. Ive had it for a few years now and i cant see myself letting it go. Since summer time is comming I was wondering what i would need to do to hook up diffrent doors that allready have the power windows and locks onto my DX? Or is it not worth it?
DaReal401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Joshy
Contributing Member

Joshy seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Joshy
I've always scoffed at the idea, because retrofitting power windows and locks into a DX would require a lot of dismantling to run stock wiring.

It isn't an easy task and the amount of work required will probably make your head spin.

Last year I installed DX door panels into my EX, and while I was "downgrading" I had to consider how to retrofit power options into these panels. I added power window switches into these panels and discovered how easy it would be to retrofit power windows into a DX.

You could run power directly from your battery into each door, run ground wires, and then bolt in power window regulators and motors. Then it's just a matter of wiring the switches up. The switches take your 12v power and transfer power and ground to the window motor. Of course, running in-line fuses is a good idea. You'll need to use 20 amp fuses.

There are 5 contacts on single power window switches:
  • +12v power into switch
  • (UP position) +12v power routed to motor
  • (UP position) Ground routed to motor
  • (DOWN position) Ground routed to motor
  • (DOWN position) +12v power routed to motor

That's an introduction into a possible wiring solution, but it's enough food for thought to consider the amount of work required to make this retrofit a reality.

Power locks is another subject, one which I'm not too familiar with.

It would be easy to install single window switches that run indirectly from a driver's side master switch (without a master switch). Wiring up a master switch system requires a lot of work. You'll have to run 15 wires total to the driver's door (5 wires from each sedan door, or only 5 for the coupe), which will probably be more trouble than it's worth. Then again, installing single window switches without a master switch simply alleviates the task of cranking your windows - you'll still have to operate them from each door.

Last edited by Joshy; 04-20-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: