Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The UPS guy was interested in my CTS-V today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UPS guy was interested in my CTS-V today...

I'm not really interested in selling it, but it was interesting to have someone inquire! It got me thinking what I could get in its place, should I decide to sell. I'm honestly not sure what is out there that would fill that particular slot any better than what I already have!

A 2nd generation CTS-V would probably be the closest, though they're not really dropping in price. I got my car when it was 6 years old and had just under 100k miles. 2nd gen CTS-Vs of comparable age and mileage today are still selling for significantly more (especially if they're manual, with may or may not be a requirement for me when the time comes.)

Aside from the CTS-V, comparable options (in terms of luxury, power, handling, and aggressive looks) would be the M5, E63 AMG, S6, Jaguar XF (supercharged), and 300 SRT-8. The IS-F is a little small, but I'll put that on the list as well, just to have a Japanese presence. I'm looking at 2011 models specifically (just to keep it at the 6 year mark) Less that 400hp would be a no-go. Less than 8 cylinders would be a no-go (just a silly preference... I know V6 engines are capable of putting out well over 400hp without issue.)
    The German and British cars scare me in regards to reliability and cost of maintenance and repair. The Chrysler scares me because 1) it's a Chrysler (not a fan of the brand, despite loving the 300), and 2) previous owners probably felt much the same, especially if I'm not the 2nd owner (residual value drops, people pay less attention to maintenance.) The Lexus is small, and apparently not at all refined (a bit like my car now!)

As far as power, handling, looks, and luxury go, I honestly don't see anything as being as good a value as a CTS-V in that particular segment (mid-size luxury performance vehicles making 400hp+). Not when dealing with a used car, that is. My car is old, and it is starting to show its age. I still think it's more special than subsequent generations, but it's lacking a good deal. I don't know when I'll actually be ready to get rid of it... but I honestly can't think of anything that would be a better replacement for it (without sacrificing anything that it currently offers.)

This is mostly just me thinking out loud (or, rather, with my fingertips...) but I welcome any feedback. Today is not the day to sell my car, but that day may come... and I have absolutely NO idea what could possibly replace it!

You have some shoes to fill there.... I'm going with the S6. Not sure why but Audi has been turning my head a lot lately. Like a grown up, more HP than Acura they appeal to me. There are other cars you mentioned which are above BMW though (AMG). I imagine all of these cars are super expensive to fix too, nevermind modifying.

What about SUVs, not your style? The modded jeeps sound amazing!

Comment

I've never been much of a truck guy, but I will admit that a few of the absurdly powerful SUVs out there catch my eye from time to time! I kinda want a Saab 9-7x Aero, which is basically a rebadged Trailblazer SS (same engine as my Cadillac!) It's unassuming, and has a bit of Saab quirkiness. Sadly, GM didn't do a whole lot to disguise the Trailblazer underneath.

As much as I don't like Chrysler products, I agree that the new Jeeps are awesome. The Trackhawk has me drooling (not that I'd ever be able to afford that!) A JGC SRT-8 would do nicely, though. Having the Miata in my driveway opens up some possibilities. I don't NEED something that can handle. I don't necessarily NEED a manual transmission. I just want luxury, power, and an imposing presence Trucks can definitely provide that!

I agree on Audi. They've definitely become the connoisseur's ride of choice lately. They seem to offer it all... sport, luxury, looks... I hate VW, but the Audi brand is good enough that I can look beyond that in most cases! The 2011 S6 has a V10... probably the Lambo-derived powerplant. I bet that would make an AMG car look cheap to fix in comparison!
      If I could afford the purchase price and maintenance/repair costs, I'd probably have a VERY difficult time deciding among the cars I listed. They all appeal to me in one way or another (oddly, the M5 is probably at the bottom of my list...)

Comment

Not an SUV, but I'm likely going to pick up an F-150 tomorrow. My daily driver is a 2013 XL with a 5.0, and the one I'm going to see is a 2013 King Ranch with a 3.5L Ecoboost. I haven't even purchased the thing yet and I can't seem to pull myself off of Full Race's website. That huge intercooler looks so awesome sitting in the grille!

I'd recommend at least looking into something like that. It doesn't fit the criteria you've laid out, but given that you have a two small cars to handle commuting duties, you might find another car impractical. Even if the luxury of the Cadillac is required to suit some other need, many trucks can accomplish this while also providing a utilitarian purpose.
        Last edited by Jarrett; 04-21-2017, 04:39 PM.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

A pickup would truly be useful. They seem like overkill where I am, though. Pickups in the suburbs are more of a status symbol, unless you're a contractor. My neighbor has a Ram 1500. I've never seen a single thing in the bed of that thing!

I think if I got a pickup, it would be the SVT Lightning. The supercharged monster. Those are rising in value, though.

Still, I keep looking into home improvements I want to do, and most of them require a vehicle that can carry big stuff. Can't stick lumber in the Miata! (I did fit 10' PVC piping in the CTS-V, though!)

Comment

What about.... this. http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203472

Comment

I almost put that on the list, but then I remembered reading that it was quite subdued for a 400hp car. Magazine reviewers said that they could barely tell the difference between the 300hp V6 and 400hp V8 models (and they actually preferred the 6, apparently.) Plus, the one I sat in at the auto show a few years ago felt annoyingly cheap. I know Hyundai is coming along, but I think we need at least one more Genesis generation before they're worth considering!

Though if I were to add that, I might as well add the VW Phaeton to the list as well (I do love the Phaeton... they're just so problematic, and the rarity makes them super expensive to fix! Especially with the W12.)

Comment

What about the 550i? Twin turbo v8 and it comes in a manual. You won't have ///M repair and maintenance cost. It looks mean with the appropriate body kit. They cost about 25k now. They have the potential to become brutally fast...like 600whp fast. Plenty enough to have lots of illegal fun with.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

That's true. I keep forgetting that the non-performance models these days still have an absurd amount of power potential (if not just an absurd amount of power right out of the box!) I also have our old member Tippey to lean on when it comes to all things BMW. The kid has built himself quite a name with the brand these days (even owns his own shop specializing in BMW!)

Comment

I don't think there's a more reliable alternative to the CTS-V than another CTS-V.

E55/63s are plagued with electrical and suspension issues. M5s are no different unless you get the V10 and then you're at risk for a spun rod bearing.

Plus the 2G CTS-V still looks amazing. I don't think any modern Caddy has aged nearly as well - plus supercharged Corvette V8 hnnnnnnnggg
                    14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Yeah, the 2nd generation CTS overall was a significant improvement in refinement. Still not quite as fancy or well made as the Germans or Japanese, but fair for the price.

It just sucks that a 6 year old 2nd gen cts-v won't be as cheap as my car was when I got it at 6 years old!

Comment

If you're looking for something newer and more reliable. Do you like the looks of the Chevy SS?

You'll have to get newer models to get the 6spd though.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          If you're looking for something newer and more reliable. Do you like the looks of the Chevy SS?

You'll have to get newer models to get the 6spd though.
                          SS is a good choice. You'll get every luxury amenity you'd ever want and a stonkin V8. While a good looking car, it's not exactly as imposing as a CTS-V. Still though, for the money, it's a hell of a car.
                          14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

I do like the SS. Being a bit of a badge snob, I'd hate to go from Cadillac to Chevy, even though the SS is probably a more luxurious and better-made car than my CTS-V!
                            It is a really nice car, though. It's not intimidating, but there's a certain presence to that car that isn't captured by your run-of-the-mill Chevy. The fact that it's rather unassuming is a bit of a draw in some ways! Considering the fact that it's a bit of an underground enthusiast car in a world of high-profile enthusiast cars, it really is pretty awesome. Most performance cars are discussed ad nauseam in magazines, on websites, and among enthusiasts. The SS slips by with hardly a mention. That makes it significantly more appealing, IMO.
                            They're still priced up there with the 2nd gen CTS-V, it seems. Bummer. The fairly limited 4 year run, and the fact that Holden is going to disappear alongside the SS... that'll likely make it a bit of a collector's item.

I'm honestly not sure what I'd be looking for. Reliability I suppose is a major plus with any car I plan on actually driving (and largely why I'd be terrified to own one of the performance-model German cars.)
                            I paid $16,000 for my 2006 CTS-V back in 2012. I guess what I'm looking for is a car that is in a comparable price range (let's say under $20,000) that offers an even better mix of looks, performance, reliability, and luxury. It's tough to beat what I already have, even 5 years later! Anything potentially better, such as the 2nd gen CTS-V, exceeds the price I'm currently willing to pay. Anything within my price range seems to lack at least one major factor (like the Germans... I COULD find an M5 in my price range, but it'd make me go broke if it breaks!)

Comment

I wouldn't be that afraid of an ///M or and AMG breaking. It's the preventative and routine maintenance that's going to drain the account. 1000s for a DIY brake and rotor job is silly.

Yep, I just looked at the brake kit parts costs for an F10 M5...2119.99
                              Just one rear rotor for the E63 AMG is 212.89

Luckily these are things that you don't have to replace on a monthly basis, but it's one of the numerous things to watch out for before making a purchase. And these vehicles will become very cheap in a few more years. Depreciation is awesome.

The E63 probably the best of the performance German bunch in that category. Looks, prestige, performance...it's all there

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X