Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

I need a new motor and trans. Rec any shops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a new motor and trans. Rec any shops?

I love my Accord but after 253000 miles, the valve guides leak, the rear main leaks, and the transmission shows signs of the valves sticking in the secondary valve body. The local shop doesn't do major work on cars this old. I don't have a shop to do this work myself.
    I realize I can get another used car for the price of a new engine and trans alone but, that's what I'll be getting, another used car, with unknown history.
    Is there such a thing as good used 26 year old engine and transmissions?
    Is there a reputable retailer of rebuilt or new engines and transmissions for these cars?
    Is there a shop in my area that will do this? (Sonoma County/Norcal).

I haven't done this, but in the past people here have recommended hmotorsonline.com

but I was just looking there and they are out of f22a stock! That scares me, we've been wondering when we would need a "new" motor in our race car and that was my plan.

I've also seen tiger japanese auto parts recommended, but their normal website name isn't working. A google search turned up a link to their direct ip address.

http://67.20.111.108

Weird. You are in the Bay Area. There is a company called Engineworld in Emeryville on 67th and Shellmound who's building is going to be sold soon. They may be willing to make a deal.

Hope this helps. There is always the picknpull...
    Last edited by ukemike; 04-08-2017, 11:30 AM.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

I have personally swapped in multiple engines from hmo and they are very reputable with reliable engines. Tigers on the other hand I've heard it's hit or miss.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Tiger is absolute garbage, as are all the other big Canadian engine resellers. Avoid those. Especially since you'll have very little recourse if you get a crappy engine. They can basically say "you're out of luck, buddy", and you can't do a thing about it. International lawsuits are expensive, and they have more money than you. You can bash them all you want on the internet... it hasn't hurt them in the 15 years I've been aware of them, and I've seen MANY a pissed off customer do plenty of bashing!

hmotorsonline is the place to go. I actually HAVE purchased from them, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I got my H22A 14 years ago from them. It is now running strong in my friend's car. Never any issues. I don't know if they're better with email now than they were in 2003, but back then you had to call. Emails were almost never returned. Steve is an upstanding guy, though. Prices are often higher than many others, but there's a reason for it. The engines are top notch, and Steve takes care of his customers.

If you have the time and money, this is a great opportunity to drastically increase your car's performance. An H22A engine drops in pretty easily (and you can find TONS of help here on how to do it right.) You'll go from 125-140hp to 200hp. It completely transforms the car! If you're on a budget, a JDM F22B DOHC will get you 160hp for a bit less money. You could certainly get another F22A to drop in there, but to me, that's one of those things that if you're going to go through all that effort, why not get something more out of it?

hmotors may not stock F22A engines, however. They can get them, certainly, but it may take some time. If a stock replacement is all you want, it's worth a try... but you might be better just finding a shop locally that offers a warranty. Have them conduct a compression and leakdown test to ensure the engine is healthy. Pull the spark plugs to see if there are any signs of trouble in the cylinders. Pull the valve cover to look for scoring on the camshaft or sludge buildup.

Comment

What about a remanufactured engine? There are several places online advertising remanufactured engines with a 5 year warranty, although I couldn't find one that would give me a price online.

Comment

Off topic but why not rebuild them ?
            this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
            How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
            Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

perfect opportunity for an h22a swap *wink wink* ...what a shop is going to charge you for a rebuild you could get a complete drop and go swap from hmotorsonline.com, thats where i ordered my engine and trans from..put 57k miles on the engine and still brand new!

Comment

I think his lack of work space is keeping him from doing anything major. And I know from personal experience that paying a shop to do a swap can be disastrous (my shop charged me $1750 in parts and labor, in addition to the $2500 the full H22 swap cost me... and the work was still incredibly halfassed... I never did have working AC, even.) Granted, my experience was in 2003. 14 years may make a big difference in what shops can do!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  I think his lack of work space is keeping him from doing anything major. And I know from personal experience that paying a shop to do a swap can be disastrous (my shop charged me $1750 in parts and labor, in addition to the $2500 the full H22 swap cost me... and the work was still incredibly halfassed... I never did have working AC, even.) Granted, my experience was in 2003. 14 years may make a big difference in what shops can do!
                  I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
                  X