Confusing symptoms....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusing symptoms....

I was driving down the freeway yesterday afternoon, and when cornering hard through an onramp, my oil light blinked once, then went off. Didnt happen again. I checked the oil and it was fine. So I continue on my merry way, when my car just dies. The Tach drops to 0, and the car becomes lifeless. I pull over onto the side of the freeway, and pop the hood. Coolant has been sprayed throughout he engine bay. So I found a small leak in a hose. Anyway, the cars temp guage had not moved at all, and it had been running fine all day. When I try to start the car now, it turns over, but will not fir. Sounds fairly normal, other than not firiing.
    I had just refueled. Perhaps bad gas I thought, but that doesnt seem right. The fuel pump is operating.
    Any ideas? I searched for other threads, but I have to many confusing symtoms. Please help!
    Maybe its just time for an H22 swap.
    '90 Honda Accord EX-R
    WTB: 16" 4 bolt wheels

Bad gas would not cause your car to just shut off. Is the car attempting to fire and cutting off, or are you getting no spark? Is your temp needle operational? Are you sure you didn't overheat the engine and cause it to lock up?

Comment

I disregarded the bad gas idea (it was just silly, but one of those first thoughts you get when your stuck on the side of the road), my temp guage is operational, and it isnt attemting to fire, so a spark problem could be possible.
      By lock up, what do you mean exactly? Cease? This is a major concern of mine.
      I appreciate the help!
      Any diagnosis tips?
      '90 Honda Accord EX-R

Comment

/\/\/\/\ if it turns over, its not locked up. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
          /\/\/\/\ if it turns over, its not locked up. later.
          Correct. If the starter is rotating the engine then it is not locked up. Have you checked all of the connections on the distributor? Do you have an external coil? Is so, check the connections going to that. Another recomendation is to get a spark plug tester and a fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel system. If you do not own a Hayned manual, now would be a good time to purchase one.

Comment

Originally posted by Arriviste
            I was driving down the freeway yesterday afternoon, and when cornering hard through an onramp, my oil light blinked once, then went off. Didnt happen again. I checked the oil and it was fine. So I continue on my merry way, when my car just dies. The Tach drops to 0, and the car becomes lifeless. I pull over onto the side of the freeway, and pop the hood. Coolant has been sprayed throughout he engine bay. So I found a small leak in a hose. Anyway, the cars temp guage had not moved at all, and it had been running fine all day. When I try to start the car now, it turns over, but will not fir. Sounds fairly normal, other than not firiing.
            I had just refueled. Perhaps bad gas I thought, but that doesnt seem right. The fuel pump is operating.
            Any ideas? I searched for other threads, but I have to many confusing symtoms. Please help!
            Maybe its just time for an H22 swap.
            That sounds so funny the way you put that....good luck on finding the porblem.

Caleb
            My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Also check and see if your cams are turning when you try to start it, if not then it is a timing belt that broke.

GL

X

Comment

thats the thing it could be your oil pump too gloryaccordy has problems with his

Comment

I really appreciate all the help. Im about go check all of the various things you have all suggested. I'll post my findings. Thanks again!
                  '90 Honda Accord EX-R

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                    thats the thing it could be your oil pump too gloryaccordy has problems with his
                    I have a problem with the oil light sometimes, but i took apart the oil pump, and it looks like new, no clearance issues.. nothing. So im not sure what could be causing it.

Comment

Another question...
                      I figured out that my car's temp guage was inoperative when my car broke down. When I popped the hood, there was a bit of coolant sprayed throughout the engine bay. I was down about 550ml of coolant. So, I am pretty sure that my car overheated without me noticing (which I know, is ridiculous). Anyway, it won't STILL won't start, 4 days after it died. Is there a shutdown switch that is activated when the car overheats? Something that can be reset, or is the problem much more serious?
                      Thanks for the help!
                      '90 Honda Accord EX-R

Comment

Originally posted by Arriviste
                        Another question...
                        I figured out that my car's temp guage was inoperative when my car broke down. When I popped the hood, there was a bit of coolant sprayed throughout the engine bay. I was down about 550ml of coolant. So, I am pretty sure that my car overheated without me noticing (which I know, is ridiculous). Anyway, it won't STILL won't start, 4 days after it died. Is there a shutdown switch that is activated when the car overheats? Something that can be reset, or is the problem much more serious?
                        Thanks for the help!
                        What hose broke off and sprayed coolant? See if you can drain the oil or maybe check the dipstick and see if you see coolant in there. If so, could have blown/warped the headgasket which allows coolant and oil to mix. that shouldnt stop it from starting though.

Check all of your spark plug wires, any wires you can see.

Comment

This may not help but I do know that if the temp. sensor on the thermostat housing is not in any coolant, it won't let the car start at all. So maybe the temp. sensor isn't in any coolant, thus, the car won't start, but it will turn over. That may not be it, but just throwing that out

I wish you good luck, please keep us updated!

Dan

EDIT: I suppose that could also apply to the temp. sensor on the upper rad. hose above the block code.
                          Last edited by Granite CB7; 07-27-2005, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Okay, check this possibilty, The timing belt is connected to the water pump, and also there is an oil pump balancer belt, one goes so does other! Am I right! Pull the distributor cap off and have a friend crank the engine over, if the dizzy moves then its prob not t-belt! Peace! Also you could get in touch wit me seen as Im in Calgary all the time! I love that city!

WaC!

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response. I was on Vacation for the last 5-6 weeks.
                              Anyway, the car has been sitting for all that time. Tomorrow I am going to print off all the suggestions that everyone has posted, and will attempt to source the problem. I will keep upodating as I get to the bottom of the problem.
                              Thanks for the help!
                              '90 Honda Accord EX-R

Comment

Working...
                              X