Clutch Irregularities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Irregularities

Hello, just a quick question, before i throw some parts at my problem. I have a f22b1 swap. I am experiencing clutch issues. When i first start the car up from cold, the clutch grabs early, however after a few minutes of driving, the clutch grab distance increases. It gets so bad that the clutch starts to slip!

I was thinking of buying a new master and slave. I noticed my master was leaking fluid, so i thought that might be my issue. The clutch should not grab early then fade out if it were no good; has to be the clutch mechanism loosing integrity over time. As a matter of fact i know the clutch is good, because if i do a launch while the motor is cold, she pulls hard wheel spin and all, even without VTEC lol.

Need some CB7 expertise. Thx in advance.

P.S clutch will be replaced, before my turbo kit is installed, but i did not want to buy a clutch and destroy it, because my clutch engagement mechanism sucks.
    F22B1 Swap. #StanceNation

91' Accord Project

Paint is custom faded. (Love the Frankenstein look!)

Clutch slipping has nothing to do with the clutch mechanism. All the clutch mechanism does is separate the clutch pressure plate from the clutch disc. After you let the clutch petal out, it does nothing.

You have a bad pressure plate or your clutch disc has oil on it.

Comment

You most likely have air in your hydraulic system. I'm sure you know that already as you found the leaky parts. Replace your master and slave cylinders.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        You most likely have air in your hydraulic system. I'm sure you know that already as you found the leaky parts. Replace your master and slave cylinders.
        yea, the pedal no longer feels stiff either. thx i will order the parts today and give a follow up.

91' Accord Project

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
          Clutch slipping has nothing to do with the clutch mechanism. All the clutch mechanism does is separate the clutch pressure plate from the clutch disc. After you let the clutch petal out, it does nothing.

You have a bad pressure plate or your clutch disc has oil on it.
          I think the clutch is still partially applied after a while. Like the master cylinder is not letting the pressure plate clamp down enough. Today I determined this, because when i first start driving, 1st gear has the potential to kill the engine at idle. However, after driving for a while, 1st gear no longer affects the engine as much, the car just rolls.

I will replace the mechanism and provide feedback. Might even pull the transmission and take a look at the disk and plate for your sake. Thx

91' Accord Project

Comment

Make sure you have the clutch pedal adjusted to have freeplay. Years ago when I had no idea, I adjusted the clutch pedal with zero freeplay. Meaning that if I stepped on the clutch pedal even 1mm, the clutch would begin to disengage. Bad idea, freeplay allows for expansion in the hydraulic system. The pedal was SUPER STIFF and the friction point grew higher and higher off the floor until it was right at the top stop on the pedal, enough that I'm sure clutch slippage was around the corner! It was very weird but I learned how to adjust the clutch pedal. I can go into further detail if you want but I think you are on to something.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
              Make sure you have the clutch pedal adjusted to have freeplay. Years ago when I had no idea, I adjusted the clutch pedal with zero freeplay. Meaning that if I stepped on the clutch pedal even 1mm, the clutch would begin to disengage. Bad idea, freeplay allows for expansion in the hydraulic system. The pedal was SUPER STIFF and the friction point grew higher and higher off the floor until it was right at the top stop on the pedal, enough that I'm sure clutch slippage was around the corner! It was very weird but I learned how to adjust the clutch pedal. I can go into further detail if you want but I think you are on to something.
              Hmmm I did adjust it really close, but there is still some play. I will readjust with the new master a bit looser. Thx for the info.

91' Accord Project

Comment

Replaced the master and slave today...feels much better!! Thx guys

91' Accord Project

Comment

Working...
                X