Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Haggard dent removal (Help?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haggard dent removal (Help?)

I have this ass-ugly dent in my drv rear qp, I've used the included scissor jack courtesy of Honda Motor Co to pop it out the ghetto way. (In between Panel and support tower (?) to the side-rear of backseat)

(Dent picture: )
    https://imgur.com/a/7tXIN

I've gotten a good portion of the dent out, everything right of the fuel-filler is stuff I cant reach, is there an secret way of getting a dent like that out? It's difficult because It's so close to the filler.

Any tips are appreciated

i think the suction cups might have worked BEFORE you started messing around with the jack, i see multiple creases on there now instead of one single big dent. At this point maybe a rubber mallet would be helpfull since the lows will pop out but not create strike points on the metal.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
      i think the suction cups might have worked BEFORE you started messing around with the jack, i see multiple creases on there now instead of one single big dent. At this point maybe a rubber mallet would be helpfull since the lows will pop out but not create strike points on the metal.
      Well, it was an oblong dent, as if the person who hit the car had the front right of their car go almost diagonally inwards before the filler cap, alot of the dent I pushed out with my hand. I've used the suction cup method, didn't work for the deep stuff. I'm trying to get the deep dents next to the filler opening, but I can't get any sort of tool that far in behind the trunk lining. It sort of tapers off into a small space before the neck.

I should have included a before picture, I virtually created no crease-lines and popped out only 15&#37; of the dent. I was gentle enough and put a soft towel between the jack and the panel. Surprisingly, being able to control the speed of the pressure applied ensured I did not bend the metal outwards.

I've yet to find out if these whole quarterpanels come off or not?

Thanks for your advice, I may try the suction cup method once more considering the dent has a little more flatness to it. Or am I missing something?

EDIT: I should add that most of the creases you may see is the clearcoat coming off the car.
      Last edited by Nine-Dee 2.2; 10-06-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nine-Dee 2.2 View Post
        Well, it was an oblong dent, as if the person who hit the car had the front right of their car go almost diagonally inwards before the filler cap, alot of the dent I pushed out with my hand. I've used the suction cup method, didn't work for the deep stuff. I'm trying to get the deep dents next to the filler opening, but I can't get any sort of tool that far in behind the trunk lining. It sort of tapers off into a small space before the neck.

I should have included a before picture, I virtually created no crease-lines and popped out only 15% of the dent. I was gentle enough and put a soft towel between the jack and the panel. Surprisingly, being able to control the speed of the pressure applied ensured I did not bend the metal outwards.

I've yet to find out if these whole quarterpanels come off or not?

Thanks for your advice, I may try the suction cup method once more considering the dent has a little more flatness to it. Or am I missing something?

EDIT: I should add that most of the creases you may see is the clearcoat coming off the car.
        find the center of the dent and pull from there, on a very hazy and questionable night i put a dent twice as big as yours with my ass on the car of a friend and he pulled it out using a suction cup or at least i remember it that way.

Comment

find the center of the dent and pull from there, on a very hazy and questionable night i put a dent twice as big as yours with my ass on the car of a friend and he pulled it out using a suction cup or at least i remember it that way.
          My father in law has a suction cup.. its a cheap one though, would I have to buy a better one?

Comment

Originally posted by Nine-Dee 2.2 View Post
            My father in law has a suction cup.. its a cheap one though, would I have to buy a better one?
            Its always a good idea to keep something like that around, dont think of it as an expense but rather as an investment. Cant tell you if the one they use was good or bad as i can barely remember what happened that day.

Comment

Cant tell you if the one they use was good or bad as i can barely remember what happened that day.
              Been there done that! (Oh wait... still there.)

I'll add a decent suction cup to the bi-weekly grocery list for the car. I'm tired of seeing a beautiful straightbodied car on the left side, and on the right it has a giant crater in the rear QP.

I'll buy one when I get paid and post results. This dent has been the most irritating thing about the car.
              Last edited by Nine-Dee 2.2; 10-08-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

find the center of the dent and pull from there...
                You're supposed to start on the outside of the dent and work inward, effectively working backwards through the progression of the damage.
                My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
                  You're supposed to start on the outside of the dent and work inward, effectively working backwards through the progression of the damage.
                  My process exactly. Just validating.

Comment

The dent will always be there cause of that crease. Your only options are cut and replace, or hammer/pull then fill/paint.

Haynes actually sells an instruction manual for body work, and it's a pretty study.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                      The dent will always be there cause of that crease. Your only options are cut and replace, or hammer/pull then fill/paint.

Haynes actually sells an instruction manual for body work, and it's a pretty study.
                      Cut and replace almost sounds like an easier thing to do than having to hammer/pull it out. All I'd have to do is cut a piece of a body from a junkyard right? They allow that? Lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X