Installing Radius Rod(strut rod) Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Radius Rod(strut rod) Bushings

I made a post about installing sway bar bushings so i might as well ask about installing radius rod bushings. It seems kind of str8t forward except for the adjusting shim i see in my shop manual. Any tips anyone got is appreciated.

Every Accord I've owned seems to have just one shim on each rod. You've already experienced the toughest part of replacing the bushings - disconnecting the radius rod from the lower control arm. Remove the radius rod nut first, those threads are usually rusty and you'll need it bolted to the lower control arm to resist rotation. After you do all this front end work, I suggest an alignment. If the caster is off, then you'll either have to remove or add washers to the radius rods. The other option would be to use "C" shaped spacers that can be slipped over the rod so the rods don't need to be removed.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      Every Accord I've owned seems to have just one shim on each rod. You've already experienced the toughest part of replacing the bushings - disconnecting the radius rod from the lower control arm. Remove the radius rod nut first, those threads are usually rusty and you'll need it bolted to the lower control arm to resist rotation. After you do all this front end work, I suggest an alignment. If the caster is off, then you'll either have to remove or add washers to the radius rods. The other option would be to use "C" shaped spacers that can be slipped over the rod so the rods don't need to be removed.
      Do alignment shops do this. If i brought them the c shaped spacers would they adjust this.

Comment

Possibly. I've basically had them tell me that caster can't be adjusted. It is a pain in the backside compared to adjusting toe. When I rebuilt the wagon after my daughter whacked the curb with the right front wheel, they did an initial alignment, then I took it home to remove the shim and attempt some other adjustments to get the caster up from 0.8 to 1.6 (it is supposed to be 2.0 to 4.0) when they did the final alignment. To move it further, I'd probably have to cut the shoulder on the rod back some or shave the bushing, but it seems to drive OK and doesn't wear the tires oddly, so I haven't messed with it since.

The concern with a "C" shaped shim would be it falling out. Although the nut actually clamps a sleeve between the two bushing washers and the rear most washer against the shim, so if tightened correctly I don't think it would come off.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-20-2018, 11:39 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Possibly. I've basically had them tell me that caster can't be adjusted. It is a pain in the backside compared to adjusting toe. When I rebuilt the wagon after my daughter whacked the curb with the right front wheel, they did an initial alignment, then I took it home to remove the shim and attempt some other adjustments to get the caster up from 0.8 to 1.6 (it is supposed to be 2.0 to 4.0) when they did the final alignment. To move it further, I'd probably have to cut the shoulder on the rod back some or shave the bushing, but it seems to drive OK and doesn't wear the tires oddly, so I haven't messed it since.

The concern with a "C" shaped shim would be it falling out. Although the nut actually clamps a sleeve between the two bushing washers and the rear most washer against the shim, so if tightened correctly I don't think it would come off.
          Well i'm not going to mess with it unless i know there is something wrong. I know now though to find an alignment shop though that will do my caster. Most i don't think door skip it if it is close enough.

Comment

Fk i didn't realize i got to take some other stuff(engine shield) apart to get to the other end of radius rod. I think i will put this off till i need to take bumper off. As i got to take that off to get to that front bracket on car. I read somewhere it is actually easier to take bumper off as i can't see how i can get to bolt without it off.

Comment

Working...
            X