I need a normal newer car for a DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a normal newer car for a DD

I need a normal newer car for a DD. I recently got a new job in property management for U of I and I'm afraid I can't drive my old Ford truck to work anymore for obvious reasons...

I need something typical. Something affordable. Reliable. Cheap to maintain. And presentable. American or Import. Coupe or sedan. I'm not particular. Maybe something made around 2005ish. I really don't want to spend more than $2500. I know that's probably the kicker. That's pretty cheap I know. I need it strictly as a work vehicle. Any recommendations?

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
    I need a normal newer car for a DD. I recently got a new job in property management for U of I and I'm afraid I can't drive my old Ford truck to work anymore for obvious reasons...

I need something typical. Something affordable. Reliable. Cheap to maintain. And presentable. American or Import. Coupe or sedan. I'm not particular. Maybe something made around 2005ish. I really don't want to spend more than $2500. I know that's probably the kicker. That's pretty cheap I know. I need it strictly as a work vehicle. Any recommendations?
    Cheap, reliable but maybe not in 05 i would suggest Corolla, Camry or Sentra. Reasons why are; they are not seen as a tuner car so they are usually better taken care of than Civics or even Accords. They are also damn near guaranteed to remain parked where you left them because c'mon who would steal one of those things even for parts.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Strictly A to B car? I would go Toyota, personally.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Pontiac Vibe.

Essentially a Toyota Matrix underneath, without the Toyota tax in terms of resale value.

Comment

I agree on the Vibe. They're basically worthless on the used car market because they're "American", and they're "Pontiac", a defunct brand. People who don't know it's 99% Toyota wouldn't even look twice!

I'd also suggest a Fit. I put 390,000 miles on my 2009, and my buddy Julian just put another 40,000 on it since I sold it to him a year ago. Still running strong. Got between 36 and 40mpg. It was fun to drive, and it could hold a ton of stuff. They hold their value pretty well, but you could probably find an older beat up one with higher miles for a low price. I sold mine for $1200.

Comment

es300, one of the best vehicles for driving. still simple like a camry yet it has all the luxuries of a lexus. i think the 98 that i drive right now will get high 20's on the highway and itll cruise 80 np.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

That's a good one. And anyone with basic wrenching skills (which H311RA151N has considerably more) could maintain and repair it at Toyota costs, not Lexus costs.

Comment

First off, thank you to all who replied. I chose to ask cb7tuner because you give good advice. And, like always you never fail to disappoint!

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                Cheap, reliable but maybe not in 05 i would suggest Corolla, Camry or Sentra. Reasons why are; they are not seen as a tuner car so they are usually better taken care of than Civics or even Accords. They are also damn near guaranteed to remain parked where you left them because c'mon who would steal one of those things even for parts.
                I was thinking a Toyota or Nissan myself. Added to my list of possibilities.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                Strictly A to B car? I would go Toyota, personally.
                Yep. Just an A to B car. I like Toyotas myself although I have no personal experiences with them. That may change!

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                Pontiac Vibe.

Essentially a Toyota Matrix underneath, without the Toyota tax in terms of resale value.
                Pulling up a picture of a Vibe. Ah, those aren't bad. I was unaware that they were essentially a Matrix. That's cool! Added to the list of possibilities.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                I agree on the Vibe. They're basically worthless on the used car market because they're "American", and they're "Pontiac", a defunct brand. People who don't know it's 99&#37; Toyota wouldn't even look twice!

I'd also suggest a Fit. I put 390,000 miles on my 2009, and my buddy Julian just put another 40,000 on it since I sold it to him a year ago. Still running strong. Got between 36 and 40mpg. It was fun to drive, and it could hold a ton of stuff. They hold their value pretty well, but you could probably find an older beat up one with higher miles for a low price. I sold mine for $1200.
                I thought briefly about the Fit as well. Your personal experience with yours came to mind. Added to the list of possibilities. And, it's a Honda. We all like those!

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                es300, one of the best vehicles for driving. still simple like a camry yet it has all the luxuries of a lexus. i think the 98 that i drive right now will get high 20's on the highway and itll cruise 80 np.
                I really like the ES300. It didn't come to mind though. But I like it! This is exciting information! I would love to have an ES300. I've never ridden in one or been around one and I'm in general very unfamiliar with them. But I like this suggestion.

That's a good one. And anyone with basic wrenching skills (which H311RA151N has considerably more) could maintain and repair it at Toyota costs, not Lexus costs.
                Thanks for the kind words! I don't know much about Toyota's but as with any of the possibilities I'd just have to learn.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the suggestions! And for those of you who haven't posted up yet feel free to. I'm very open to any and all suggestions.

Comment

I was a Toyota hater for the longest time but purchased a 99 corolla 2 years ago for the exact purpose you need one, all the maintenance I have done on the car was stupid simple specially the lower ball joints(4bolts). The lackluster looks and the fact that is a corolla makes me confident that I can park it anywhere and it will be there when I get back(aside from getting towed of course), and that it was not abused trying to mimic fast and furious stunt moves. The fact that we get 35mpg combined and fills up with $15 is pretty damn good too.

Comment

When my wife and I were looking for a replacement car for her smashed Mini, I specified on a Facebook post that we didn't want to settle for a boring "beige corolla". I COMPLETELY forgot that the singer of my band drove exactly that (a 97), and had been driving it for about 15 years. It was literally that forgettable! He had no clue how to maintain a car, though. He put it through the wringer, and it only needed one major repair in the entire time he owned it. It was the most boring car in the world, but that thing was dead reliable.

I hate the Corolla, aside from the early RWD models and the early 90s GTS. However, I can't knock the reliability. The Vibe/Matrix are also Corolla-based. The major mechanical bits are probably largely shared with the Corolla.

Comment

When my wife and I were looking for a replacement car for her smashed Mini, I specified on a Facebook post that we didn't want to settle for a boring "beige corolla". I COMPLETELY forgot that the singer of my band drove exactly that (a 97), and had been driving it for about 15 years. It was literally that forgettable! He had no clue how to maintain a car, though. He put it through the wringer, and it only needed one major repair in the entire time he owned it. It was the most boring car in the world, but that thing was dead reliable.

I hate the Corolla, aside from the early RWD models and the early 90s GTS. However, I can't knock the reliability. The Vibe/Matrix are also Corolla-based. The major mechanical bits are probably largely shared with the Corolla.
                      Yes indeed Corolla, Matrix and Celica GT use the same engine and 4 speed auto trans I believe. They are indeed boring little cars but as a simple commuter they are perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                        Yes indeed Corolla, Matrix and Celica GT use the same engine and 4 speed auto trans I believe. They are indeed boring little cars but as a simple commuter they are perfect.
                        Sounds like a good k swap candidate

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Everything is a good K swap candidate!

Comment

Corolla and Matrix XRS were a bit fun.

0-60 in 7.1 with a 15.8 quarter mile in the XRS, probably on par with your average H22 powered CB. The Matrix was a few ticks slower at 7.5 to 60.

Regardless they sit a bit under the radar for what they are. Granted in today's world that's not too quick but in the mid-00s they weren't dogs either.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                              Corolla and Matrix XRS were a bit fun.

0-60 in 7.1 with a 15.8 quarter mile in the XRS, probably on par with your average H22 powered CB. The Matrix was a few ticks slower at 7.5 to 60.

Regardless they sit a bit under the radar for what they are. Granted in today's world that's not too quick but in the mid-00s they weren't dogs either.
                              The CelicaGT-S and Matrix XRS had the 2zz engine instead of the 1zz, difference is about 40HP more; the 2zz engine is also the one used by Lotus on their vehicle. I do know that all things equal my sister's Celica GT feels faster than my Corolla eventhough we have the same engine, maybe different transmission gearing or something but I know hers scoots.

Comment

Working...
                              X