Alternator Not Charging Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Not Charging Battery

Sup...I have a F22B1 swap with a F22A4 harness. The car starts only when the battery is fully charged and runs till the battery dies. I believe my alternator is not charging the battery...at all. When running I get a reading of 12v then it slowly drops.

I have already taken the alternator out and had it tested at 2 different locations and it passed both. I have replaced the serpentine belt. I tracked all four wires wht/blue, wht/red, wht/green, and black/yellow they are connected at some point. I also checked my alternators ground, positive terminal to alternator case reads 12.8v. Obviously, idk wtf I am doing so I have come to the experts at this point. Please help lol
    Last edited by DGOfTheCentury; 03-10-2015, 01:03 PM.
    F22B1 Swap. #StanceNation

91' Accord Project

Paint is custom faded. (Love the Frankenstein look!)

Might sound silly, but did you check the fuses? The heavy-gauge alternator charging wire leads from the stud on the front of the unit, through the harness, and ends at the Fusebox. It is the smaller wire toward the driver side. It feeds through the 40amp (or is it 50amp?) cube-shaped fuse.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
      Might sound silly, but did you check the fuses? The heavy-gauge alternator charging wire leads from the stud on the front of the unit, through the harness, and ends at the Fusebox. It is the smaller wire toward the driver side. It feeds through the 40amp (or is it 50amp?) cube-shaped fuse.
      They passed for continuity while still plugged in, should i remove them and test them again? They do look a little corroded as well. But idk if that matters.

91' Accord Project

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
        80, 50 is ignition.

Comment

Have you cleaned the terminals yet?
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
              80, 50 is ignition.
              They are all working as they should. I did have the #2 15amp blow on the inside though...could never find the problem so i just replaced it with a 30amp...i assumed my fuel pump was drawing more voltage or something.

91' Accord Project

Comment

[QUOTE=illinois_erik;3228213]

Ok so I just got home and I went through the steps. However, my reading from the alternator pigtail was less than battery voltage somewhere around 7-8v...is this correct?

91' Accord Project

Comment

[QUOTE=DGOfTheCentury;3228258]

Ok so I just got home and I went through the steps. However, my reading from the alternator pigtail was less than battery voltage somewhere around 7-8v...is this correct?
                  are you sure the battery is fully charged? if the alternator isnt getting 12v then it wont be able to energize the field coil thus not produce any energy when spinning.

Comment

[QUOTE=illinois_erik;3228259]
                    Originally posted by DGOfTheCentury View Post

are you sure the battery is fully charged? if the alternator isnt getting 12v then it wont be able to energize the field coil thus not produce any energy when spinning.
                    Yes...Brand new battery...at 12.8v fully charged

91' Accord Project

Comment

there must be some corrosion or a pinch somewhere to cause that much of a voltage drop..im surprised you havnt smelt anything smoking. do you have a VOM? id check the resistance/continuity from the alt plug back to the interior fuse block the FSM mentions.. I had a regal t-type at one time that refused to energize the alternator, so it did what your car does, drive till the battery is dead. Id drive around with a spare battery and swap them when one got too low..I even tried installing a "single wire" voltage regulator which didnt work so I said fuck it and ran a wire from the battery to a switch in the dash to the alternator. Switch on..start car, switch off and then it would charge the battery...

Comment

there must be some corrosion or a pinch somewhere to cause that much of a voltage drop..im surprised you havnt smelt anything smoking. do you have a VOM? id check the resistance/continuity from the alt plug back to the interior fuse block the FSM mentions.. I had a regal t-type at one time that refused to energize the alternator, so it did what your car does, drive till the battery is dead. Id drive around with a spare battery and swap them when one got too low..I even tried installing a "single wire" voltage regulator which didnt work so I said fuck it and ran a wire from the battery to a switch in the dash to the alternator. Switch on..start car, switch off and then it would charge the battery...
                        Whatever this is...it got my new ecu...I smelled it when I was checking the wires today. Anyone know why that would blow? Or burn.

The only circuit I seem to be having a problem with is the #2 under the dash..any low amp fuse will blow
                        Last edited by DGOfTheCentury; 03-11-2015, 12:12 PM.

91' Accord Project

Comment

It tried to source too much current into something, probably a short. I doubt it has anything to do with your charging issue unless it's part of the ELD circuit.

Now that's out the way, you really need a meter or you're going to be guessing as to what the issue is. You have to see what's going on with the 4 pin connector.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

isnt the transistor Q3-something, the one people blow up when they mix up IACV and IAB plugs?

Comment

Fixed my charging issue by unplugging a 4 pin connector that shares a wire with the map sensor.
                              Looks like this. PINK, Black/Yellow, Red/Green

This is what I had it connected to on the engine harness. Not sure what either of them do lol. Orange/Black, Brown/Black, Green/White, White

I was just taking a 2nd look around and not only did I notice the number of wires difference...I noticed the color difference as well. All the colors under the hood should match and they have so far till I spotted this one. I made the mistake of matching the connector instead of the color of the wires. Sorry to have wasted your time over my own foolishness

91' Accord Project

Comment

Working...
                              X