Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know where I can find a low-profile mechanical jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know where I can find a low-profile mechanical jack?

I posted this 4 years ago (found it while Googling for an answer...) and never did manage to find anything.

I'm looking for a low-profile mechanical jack. NOT hydraulic. I've had nothing but miserable luck with hydraulic jacks, so I want to stay away from those. About 12 years ago, I borrowed my friend's neighbor's jack. It was shaped like a normal hydraulic jack, but it was mechanical. Crank-style, like the OEM scissor jacks that came with the CB7... but it was lightweight, low-profile, and SO freakin' easy to use. The crank locked in place and pivoted easily, saving my knuckles from injury (something the OEM Honda jacks never did.)

Does anyone know where I can find what I'm looking for? I'm at a loss. I've searched for a while today, and I can't seem to find anything. All I can find are scissor jacks and hydraulic jacks. I suppose I'd be able to deal with a high quality scissor jack if necessary.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I posted this 4 years ago (found it while Googling for an answer...) and never did manage to find anything.

I'm looking for a low-profile mechanical jack. NOT hydraulic. I've had nothing but miserable luck with hydraulic jacks, so I want to stay away from those. About 12 years ago, I borrowed my friend's neighbor's jack. It was shaped like a normal hydraulic jack, but it was mechanical. Crank-style, like the OEM scissor jacks that came with the CB7... but it was lightweight, low-profile, and SO freakin' easy to use. The crank locked in place and pivoted easily, saving my knuckles from injury (something the OEM Honda jacks never did.)

Does anyone know where I can find what I'm looking for? I'm at a loss. I've searched for a while today, and I can't seem to find anything. All I can find are scissor jacks and hydraulic jacks. I suppose I'd be able to deal with a high quality scissor jack if necessary.

....... but seriously, I have never seen or heard of one of these jacks. ......., in my mind I can picture what you are referring to , but now i'm curious

Comment

I've used hydraulic jacks to great success, as long as you keep them bled. I'll have a look
      sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

The only ones I've ever seen were restored vintage car jacks. They occasionally pop up on ebay or craigslist. They're built like tanks. Usually the ones I found were from the 1920-1940s. Walker was a popular brand

Do a google image search for "vintage mechanical car jack". Some are way smaller than the ones below

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...loor-jack.html

Last edited by Tishock; 07-17-2016, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Is that what you are looking for Deev? Looks ...... old.

Comment

Like me!

The one that I used years ago was a newer model... screw-based design, if I remember correctly (of course, this was 12 years ago now...) But yeah, that's on the right track.

I've gone through half a dozen hydraulic jacks over the years, and every single one of them leaked after a fairly short period of time. I tried bleeding, replacing the fluid, even using "leak stop" fluid. The highest quality jack I owned was a $120 Craftsman jack... and that lasted about 18 months. Never left it outside. Always kept it either in my living room or basement. Never abused it. I'm just sick of leaking hydraulics! For the last 5-6 years, I've been using OEM Honda scissor jacks (or the OEM Cadillac jack for my CTS-V.) They work well, but they're great at busting knuckles. I was hoping to find something as simple, but easier to use.
            It's about time for an oil change on the Miata, and it doesn't have an OE jack in the trunk.

Comment

For the last 5-6 years, I've been using OEM Honda scissor jacks (or the OEM Cadillac jack for my CTS-V.) They work well, but they're great at busting knuckles. I was hoping to find something as simple, but easier to use.
              It's about time for an oil change on the Miata, and it doesn't have an OE jack in the trunk.
              When I just need set up my small jack stands. I use one of these on my scissor jack and then quickly raise the car with my drill. Also seen people just weld a lug nut at the end of the scissor jack.

Last edited by Tishock; 07-17-2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I've gone through half a dozen hydraulic jacks over the years, and every single one of them leaked after a fairly short period of time. I tried bleeding, replacing the fluid, even using "leak stop" fluid. The highest quality jack I owned was a $120 Craftsman jack... and that lasted about 18 months.
                Sounds like you're cheaping out a bit on jacks resulting in them breaking early. I've used this jack from everything to transmission removals to literally moving entire cars. http://www.powerstationusa.com/brand...php?mod=HJ2500

And that's just a cheap model.

If you want something that lasts, I'd look at this, just don't expect the rubber pad to last long at all, but all my friends have this model and they have been abused for years, no worries. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0047...jackadvisor-20

End of the day it's your choice but I really really think going with a mechanical jack is a waste of time, as long as you get quality hydraulic should be perfect!
                sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I've considered hydraulics. However, I'm not looking to be convinced. I'm merely asking where to find a manual jack. The first thread I posted about this went the same way... nobody had any useful information... just talk about hydraulic jacks that don't interest me.
                  It's like someone saying "Where can I find a Corvette?" and having everyone tell them that the should buy a Mustang instead.

Originally posted by Tishock View Post
                  When I just need set up my small jack stands. I use one of these on my scissor jack and then quickly raise the car with my drill. Also seen people just weld a lug nut at the end of the scissor jack.

I've been meaning to build something like that for years, and I never get around to it!
                  I may have to stick to a scissor jack. Maybe something with a wider base than an OEM jack, since the manufacturer wouldn't be taking trunk-storage into account in the design.

Comment

Like me!

The one that I used years ago was a newer model... screw-based design, if I remember correctly (of course, this was 12 years ago now...) But yeah, that's on the right track.

I've gone through half a dozen hydraulic jacks over the years, and every single one of them leaked after a fairly short period of time. I tried bleeding, replacing the fluid, even using "leak stop" fluid. The highest quality jack I owned was a $120 Craftsman jack... and that lasted about 18 months. Never left it outside. Always kept it either in my living room or basement. Never abused it. I'm just sick of leaking hydraulics! For the last 5-6 years, I've been using OEM Honda scissor jacks (or the OEM Cadillac jack for my CTS-V.) They work well, but they're great at busting knuckles. I was hoping to find something as simple, but easier to use.
                    Unfortunately those Craftsman jacks were garbage. Eric broke one and Chris broke 2.

Comment

I've had very good luck with my Harbor Freight super low profile, long reach 2 ton jack. Its built for industrial use it feels like. Very solid construction. I've had it 4 yrs now and I haven't done any maintenance on it at all!

What i like about is its super low jacking point, I think it's 2 5/8" high and goes all the way to 23 3/4". So its got more than enough range to lift my CB, to get my ass underneath and do what I need to do. And it has a rapid pump lever which can bring it up a pretty good height really quickly.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-68050.html

be on the lookout for coupons though, I recall paying only 80 or 90 bucks for it new.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

This isn't what you're looking for, but it was the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title.

http://www.calcarcover.com/product/2..._Aluminum_Jack

Comment

I also have the low profile Harbor Freight jack, great jack! Lifts everything with ease from the 95 Accord to my 3/4 ton Suburban. Even fits under my slammed cop car.

Also never buy anything at Harbor Freight without at least one coupon. www.hfqpdb.com
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe View Post
                            This isn't what you're looking for, but it was the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title.

http://www.calcarcover.com/product/2..._Aluminum_Jack
                            That one is pretty close, honestly! Not the arm-style that I once used, but definitely compact and lightweight. At $200, it's too much for me, unfortunately.

I may just have to go with hydraulic, as the jack I'm looking for seems to be elusive... and if I ever find it, it probably won't be affordable.

Comment

That one is pretty close, honestly! Not the arm-style that I once used, but definitely compact and lightweight. At $200, it's too much for me, unfortunately.

I may just have to go with hydraulic, as the jack I'm looking for seems to be elusive... and if I ever find it, it probably won't be affordable.
                              Yeah, that jack is really pricey for what it is. I would recommend you head over to www.garagejournal.com to search around or ask those guys for recommendation. When it comes to tools that forum knows everything.

If you do decide to go with a hydraulic jack and want it to last a long time, then you're going to spend in the 2-$350 range. Most of the popular jacks you can buy locally (HF, craftsman, and torin) aren't that great in the long run. If you're set on buying one of those brands, then I would say HF jacks are your best bet. I've gone through 15 craftsman jacks and I don't remember how many HF jacks before I gave up and spent the extra money for a good jack.

Something to keep in mind is the more a floor jack is used (shop use), then the longer they'll last. The constant use prevents the seal from hardening and developing leaks. This applies to almost every jack including HF jacks. I have 2 friends that own tire shops and they have about 20 HF jacks that they use daily with no issues.

Personally, I own these 3 jacks. I'm not a mechanic, but I do work on cars pretty often since it seems like all my friends are into cars too.

1. Aluminum OTC 1532 for track use. Another option is to spend a little extra and get their matching jack stands with the OTC 1533 kit. I've had this jack for 10 year before it started developing a leak and it still works fine. Once the jack has trouble lifting a car, then I'll send it in for service to get rebuilt.

2. AFF (American Forge and Foundry) 200T Low rider jack. I've also had this jack for over 10 years. This is a great jack for lifting lowered FWD cars.

3. A more recent purchase of mine is the Arcan XL2T which has a longer reach and lower profile than all my other floor jacks. It also provides a really high lift which is useful for pulling transmissions. I've had it for less than a year and it has been good so far. A lot of my friends own the shorter XL20 model and have been really happy with it for shop use.

Comment

Working...
                              X