Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

this a myth or fact....? cf hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this a myth or fact....? cf hood

i was on yahoo out and read a post a carbon fiber hood it read as follow

You can buy CF fabric and "overlay" your hood with it. I did that with the gas tank of my race bike. You need to remove ALL wax from your existing hood and then sand it well with a DA sander. Then I'd suggest spraying some black primer on it so any gaps in your CF weave will not be noticable. Then get some spray adhesive and a couple buddys so you do not disturb your CF weave. Then lay it on cautiously. Once the adhesive is dry, apply multiple coats of clear resin and then sand and buff it till it shines. You'll want a good THICK coat above your CF. Practice that on a small part first, because CF is 3 times as expensive as it was 2 years ago.

so0o this sound go0od or just very rice?

rice. pointless. waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
      rice. pointless. waste of money.
      thanks

Comment

That's too much time and effort to pretend to have a real carbon fiber hood. I always thought the main benefit of c/f was its weight reduction?? It's a composite material that is also very strong.

Otherwise...I guess you can try it if you would only buy a real c/f hood for show anyway. If you try it, don't fuc* up lol Body work is like art -- you better have good hands...especially w/resin. I can't imagine how much sanding is needed to even get the hood to look 'ok' (assuming the supplies aren't crap quality)
        Last edited by sin2k5; 10-17-2008, 12:11 AM.

Member's Ride Thread | DMV Summer Meet 2011
        Q: Why is your pants around your ankles? Answer

Comment

Ya, I mean if you really want it to look like a cf hood, thats a good way to do it, but you'll gain nothing from it, and the odds of it turning out good are slim. Sheets of cf are pretty expensive too, so you might as well get a real cf hood.

Comment

use the money towards the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MR2_3VZFE View Post
              use the money towards the real thing.
              havent considered a cf hood but wanted to know if this was a good cheap way to go about by doing

Comment

+1

Comment

sounds like fun thing to do but first try on your gas/fuel door, it will cost $150 in materials and week of sanding buffing.
                  I say its a gamble, it might look good or you might waste $150 and need new hood

but then you have excuse to get real CF hood

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteLude View Post
                    +1
                    Dude do you say anything other than +1? lol there are less obvious ways to whore your way to the beginner 30.

Comment

Dude do you say anything other than +1? lol there are less obvious ways to whore your way to the beginner 30.
                      yeah I noticed that too, just wait till mods wake up, friday must be busy day
                      Last edited by keycb7; 10-17-2008, 03:13 AM.

Comment

I'm all eyes.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                        1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                        2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                        2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                        2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                        2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Spending time and money making your hood heavier than stock, so you can look like you have a hood that's purpose is to be lighter than stock. Hmmm.

Comment

He's been banned permanently for it. I'm keeping an eye on his IP, and if he registers again and tries it a second time, he's getting the IP Banstick.

As for the question at hand... there's no point to an overlay. Just get a real hood. They aren't THAT expensive anymore. There are cheapie brands out there (they don't last as long as the good ones, but they exist)

Comment

I don't recommend a cheapie though. If you are going to spend the money on a CF hood you might as well save the extra hundred or hundred fifty and at least buy a VIS. My VIS was $450 shipped and fits decent but it doesn't line up well in the front. A Siebon is perfection. Also the cheap one fade very easily, have lots of flaws, don't line up well and not durable at all. The little extra money is worth it. I wish i would have spent the extra hundred to get a siebon hood instead of the VIS
                              vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

Working...
                              X