Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1991 Accord LX Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

47th place overall

So at Thunderhill last weekend we placed 47th overall and 19th in B class. We ran without any mechanical issues unitl the very end. The handling was much improved. The brakes were flawless and as good as anyone out there. In the twisties and in the braking zone we could match just about anyone there. Naturally being a F22A1 we were a bit down on power compared to the 944s and the E30s so we couldn't contend for the win.

It was awesome beyond words and was epic fun. I can't seem to believe that a car that I did 90% of the wrenching on has actually finished two 14 hours endurance races.

With better pit stops and longer drives I think we could have a longshot at a B class win.

We are discussing the December race at Sears Point.

Our one problem was that on Sunday it got harder and harder to start. At our last driver change / pit stop we had to push start the car. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet, but it seems it must have been the pick-n-pull battery. If the alternator were dead and the battery low, it wouldn't continue to run.

Talking after the race we got thinking that instead of more power, perhaps we need lower gearing. Thunderhill is a fast track and it was probably 95% 2nd and 3rd gear, with grabbing 4th for a few hundred feet at the end of the longer straights. A lower final drive would let us use all the gears and could let us stay in the power band more often. That's like having more power without loosing the reliability.

Is it possible to change the final drive ratio? Are there trannies that fit that are geared lower? I read that the h22/h23 tranny is geared lower. Does someone know where the ratios can be looked up?

check out our race blog for the story, pics, and some video of the race

http://picknpullracing.wordpress.com
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Are you still running a F22 transmission? If so, your solution is a simple swap to a H22 or H23 manual.

Following are the gear ratios for the F22, H23, and H22:
      F22 3.307 1.809 1.185 0.870 0.685
      H23 3.307 1.950 1.360 1.070 0.870
      H22 3.307 1.857 1.320 1.034 0.812

In addition, the final drive is 4.23 on the H22 and H23, compared with 4.06 on the F22. But the gear ratios are the biggest difference - the H22 and H23 have much closer gearing.

And it's an easy, direct swap. The F-series and H-series transmissions use the same case, so a direct bolt in.

Just stay away from the M2U4 transmissions used in the Prelude SH. This is a completely different transmission.

Comment

Awesome race dude! Where do you live? I hope soon we can be at the same race together and have a CB7 party

Do you not have a GoPro on the car? PM me, I'm an engineer at GoPro

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
          Are you still running a F22 transmission? If so, your solution is a simple swap to a H22 or H23 manual.

Following are the gear ratios for the F22, H23, and H22:
          F22 3.307 1.809 1.185 0.870 0.685
          H23 3.307 1.950 1.360 1.070 0.870
          H22 3.307 1.857 1.320 1.034 0.812

In addition, the final drive is 4.23 on the H22 and H23, compared with 4.06 on the F22. But the gear ratios are the biggest difference - the H22 and H23 have much closer gearing.

And it's an easy, direct swap. The F-series and H-series transmissions use the same case, so a direct bolt in.

Just stay away from the M2U4 transmissions used in the Prelude SH. This is a completely different transmission.
          Great info. I should start looking for an H23 tranny for my lemons CB7. What cars came witht he H23?

Comment

In the US, H23 was only used in the 92-96 Prelude Si. 92-96 Prelude VTEC had the H22, plus all 1997+ Preludes had the H22.

And there are other options for close-ratio transmissions from Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by aventari View Post
              Awesome race dude! Where do you live? I hope soon we can be at the same race together and have a CB7 party

Do you not have a GoPro on the car? PM me, I'm an engineer at GoPro
              We do not have a gopro or a cool suit setup, or radios, or a cool RV. We are too low budget for any of that.

GoPro engineer huh? Do you work at the Clearview Way campus in San Mateo? I am involved with the environmental consulting on the garage construction project at that location. If I had a donated or loaned gopro I would make good use of it. If I had the money for one, I'd get car parts instead. The main reason I'd want a camera is to see how my team mates turn in faster laps than me.

I live in the North Bay and my team is trying to figure out if we will race at Sears Point in December. I've been covering the bulk of the cost so far, with substantial help from my team mates, but my wife is in grad school full time now so we have to live on my income alone. All racing, even crap-car racing, is expensive.
              M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.

Comment

Comment

update - brakes

We decided not to do the December Sonoma/Sears Point Race. We are going to the the February Sears Point race instead. I've been on hiatus for a while but yesterday I got going on it again.

Our brakes were magnificent at the last race but those Porterfield 4E pads chewed up the cheap rotors we had. So we got some better rotors, stoptech slotted. Yesterday I put the new rotors on. Before the last race we replaced rotors since some of the pads had worn too much and had scored the surface. That time was a nightmare. When removing the rotor/hubs the bearing had come apart and we ended up having to cut off the part of the bearing that stayed on. So before we re-assembled it we put white lithium grease on the contact surfaces.

This time it all came apart like a charm. We decided to keep these bearings for one more race before replacing them. So I got the rotors back on and while doing that saw that the pads are gone too. So that adds to the budget. We will probably try the standard porterfield 4 compound this time hoping for less rotor wear.

To do list includes:
                  replace the starter (I hope that's it)
                  new pads
                  oil change
                  coolant flush and replace with distilled water again (race rules)
                  oil change
                  brake fluid flush and bleed
                  find and fix the power steering fluid leak

Comment

Sears Pointless 2016 Feb 13 and 14

We are just about ready. We've got the a4 header and a race muffler installed. The suspension we upgraded before thunderhill was magnificent. We are debating getting another day or two out of our tires or starting with new tires. I got rid of the AC compressor. We have new stoptech rotors and porterfield pads. The brake fluid is flushed with fresh Redline 600 fluid. The oil is changed. We replaced the windshield. I think we are ready to race.

Tomorrow we will do some cockpit de-scuzzification and maybe give it a bit more of a wash before we take it around the block.

We are entered in Feb 13 and 14 LeMons race at Sears Point (currently called Sonoma Raceway). It's going to be a blast. Tonight I will be updating the blog, after I have some new pics up there I will get them up here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                      We are just about ready. We've got the a4 header and a race muffler installed. The suspension we upgraded before thunderhill was magnificent. We are debating getting another day or two out of our tires or starting with new tires. I got rid of the AC compressor. We have new stoptech rotors and porterfield pads. The brake fluid is flushed with fresh Redline 600 fluid. The oil is changed. We replaced the windshield. I think we are ready to race.

Tomorrow we will do some cockpit de-scuzzification and maybe give it a bit more of a wash before we take it around the block.

We are entered in Feb 13 and 14 LeMons race at Sears Point (currently called Sonoma Raceway). It's going to be a blast. Tonight I will be updating the blog, after I have some new pics up there I will get them up here as well.
                      Fun looking build!! Great job

Comment

On saturday I finally tackled the power steering leak. The previous weekend we drove it and found the leak. The PS fluid is routed through the speed sensor on the tranny. One of those was leaking. I replaced them both. Rockauto sold me 3/8" hose, but the big one was 5/16 and the other was a size down from that! I hope it all worked and that the leak wasn't from the speed sensor itself. On sunday we packed up for the race. Last week I ordered our new tires. Tirerack is having a closeout sale on the BFG Force Rivals. $114 each. Not bad for a 200 treadwear tire. Then in a fit of craziness I started shopping frantically on CL for some wheels. I didn't want to get rid of the Dunlops that still have some tread left. I found some and bought them and got the new tires mounted to them. If all goes well I'll have lots of in-car gopro footage.

The build blog is updated http://picknpullracing.wordpress.com
                        Here are a few pics

Last edited by ukemike; 02-10-2016, 04:27 AM.

Comment

test drive

https://youtu.be/w3v6OXKyW4A

we took it out for a test last weekend
                          Last edited by ukemike; 02-10-2016, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I bet the look of the driver of the green car was priceless
                            CB7TUNER.com
                            Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

I'll try to keep the blog up to date this race weekend. With pics etc. In car video will have to wait.

http://picknpullracing.blogspot.com

I've already seen lots of honda goodness. There was a 600 that was really more of a purpose built race car than a 600. We are paddoked next to a team with an early integra. I think the prelude is back.

Comment

I can't wait for the updates! That should be this weekend. I have never attended a race of any sort.

I know some of my family goes down south for a race every year but I generally have school and work.

May I ask why the track requires "distilled water" instead of coolant? Sorry if that is a noobish question. I honestly do not know why.

Comment

Working...
                                X