Looking for a new car... what to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    You know, Geoff... I HAVE banned trolls before, just because all they did was stir up trouble. You're very quickly approaching that point.
    You can't tell me you wouldn't like this:
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

frootloops, are your only requirements that the car has to be manual, 4 door, and large enough for you to fit into it?

What about repairs. Are you willing and able to perform all repairs yourself? If not, Japanese or Korean are your best options. If you are, then American and European cars are in the mix. American cars tend to break (partially due to shoddy build quality, partially due to neglect by owners that understand the resale value is crap, so they don't take care of them as they would an import.) Euros tend to be pricey to fix... often due more to the labor involved than the parts themselves (though the parts do come at a bit of a premium compared to the Asian and American cars.)

Also, do you want performance potential, or just a little fun in stock form? Do you care if it's FWD, RWD, or AWD?

I'm browsing cars.com now with a $6000 limit, for midsized cars that have a manual transmission and a respectable amount of power and sportiness. My findings so far are:

Audi A6 (with the 2.7L V6... the turbos I found were auto only.)
      2003 Accord V6 6 speed (I found ONE, private seller, Michigan...)
      ES 300 (early 90s...)
      Camry (not as flashy as the Lexus, but essentially the same car for less money!)
      Maxima
      Altima
      Lincoln LS V6 (only the V6 came in manual... pathetically weak, but I LOVE this car!)

You MAY be able to find a V6 CTS for your price, but I couldn't find one. I'm buying a CTS myself very soon (CTS-V for me, though... I'll be spending a bit more.)

Comment

no way. Stay WAAAAY AWAY from Audi's with turbos. From what I saw the turbos are tucked underneath..and the only real way to repair them is to pull the motor.

Not to mention the cost of parts alone is what kills the Audi..unless you have deep pockets.

Geoff I think you really like testing people's limits don't you.
        Henry R
        Koni/Neuspeed
        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
          You can't tell me you wouldn't like this:
          Yes, i would like that. But it doesn't belong in this thread. Perhaps if you actually bothered taking 10 seconds to skim the 1st post, you'd know this (yet you openly admit that you didn't read.) He's asking for car suggestions at a $6000 limit, and you're trolling up the thread because... well... I don't know why. But you're about to be banned for it. I'm getting tired of dealing with all your troll posts, 5 threads a day that end up getting deleted, and irritating comments made for no reason other than to draw attention to yourself. If you haven't been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, I would be surprised. Your social skills seem to be comprised primarily of "if I annoy them, they will pay attention to me!"

Tone it down, or you're gone. I know you're smart enough to bypass a ban, so I expect that I'd need to ban a few more names before you eventually get bored and disappear. OR, you'd figure out that you can sneak under the radar by being low-key and normal (which is all I'm asking you to do in the first place... so I win.)

Comment

Dude you just lost.

Anyways..Deev whats the story on the Accord??? I didn't think you'd be getting another GM product after the mishaps with the GranPrix
            Henry R
            Koni/Neuspeed
            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
            1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
            Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
            made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

The Accord will be fixed in time... I just have to get out there and work on it!

The Grand Prix was used as a work car, and it was also a product of GM's worst years in terms of quality. Those are the main reasons why it fell apart. I also think the previous owner may not have taken care of it. The CTS is a MUCH better design (especially the high-end V that I'll be getting), and I won't be driving it for work other than for the rare occasion that the Fit is in the shop. It'll be my weekend/date car. The car I drive when I want to feel like a grownup I also plan on getting the 06-07 model, since the bugs were present in the 04-05 model had been worked out by then.

The good thing about Cadillac is that they're usually owned by older people that don't abuse the cars. It's not until a Caddy hits a 2nd or 3rd owner that it gets neglected. Owner neglect is a BIG contributor to the unreliable reputation that American cars have. Granted, the build quality (perhaps until recent times) isn't quite as good as that of the imported brands, but it usually holds up with proper care. I've noticed with my Hondas that I can abuse the hell out of them and they'll still last.

Comment

I know you're smart enough to bypass a ban
                Flattering. I like it. I suppose I'll tone it down.
                MRT
                37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                Originally posted by Tippey764
                I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                Originally posted by deevergote
                sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Holy smokes, I go outside for a few to work on the car and all this happens...
                  frootloops, are your only requirements that the car has to be manual, 4 door, and large enough for you to fit into it?

What about repairs. Are you willing and able to perform all repairs yourself? If not, Japanese or Korean are your best options. If you are, then American and European cars are in the mix. American cars tend to break (partially due to shoddy build quality, partially due to neglect by owners that understand the resale value is crap, so they don't take care of them as they would an import.) Euros tend to be pricey to fix... often due more to the labor involved than the parts themselves (though the parts do come at a bit of a premium compared to the Asian and American cars.)

Also, do you want performance potential, or just a little fun in stock form? Do you care if it's FWD, RWD, or AWD?

I'm browsing cars.com now with a $6000 limit, for midsized cars that have a manual transmission and a respectable amount of power and sportiness. My findings so far are:

Audi A6 (with the 2.7L V6... the turbos I found were auto only.)
                  2003 Accord V6 6 speed (I found ONE, private seller, Michigan...)
                  ES 300 (early 90s...)
                  Camry (not as flashy as the Lexus, but essentially the same car for less money!)
                  Maxima
                  Altima
                  Lincoln LS V6 (only the V6 came in manual... pathetically weak, but I LOVE this car!)

You MAY be able to find a V6 CTS for your price, but I couldn't find one. I'm buying a CTS myself very soon (CTS-V for me, though... I'll be spending a bit more.)
                  Yep, manual, seating for at least 4 (comfortably), and fits me are my only criteria. After that I'm open to all suggestions.

Since I work from home 99% of the time, gas mileage really isn't a concern but I'd like to say above 20MPGs.

Maintenance, I prefer to do my own. If its something I don't think I can handle, then I can take it to a shop. Over the past eight years I've only taken my CB to a shop ONCE and that was when I first bought it to get the AC recharged.

I would say I'm partial to AWD because of the ice and snow we get here. But again I'm up for FWD, RWD, and AWD.

I'll take a look at your suggestions and see if there are any local around here. I've found some pretty sweet deals on coupes such as a 03 supercharged 350Z for $9.5K obo. and it was LOADED.
                  Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Hey guys, I am picking up a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant LS 2.5 i4. The car is pretty much at part with accords in power, but DAMNNN they are sexy! But that could be just my opinion though.

Comment

There's a guy in Tucson w/ a celica all-trac for 900 bucks

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/2424545012.html

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

There are alot of cars and im sure some have been mentioned but here are a few ive driven and loved.

Nissan 300zx (decent TT could be found for 6k, if you go to florida or anywhere besides new england area)

00-06 accord v6

03 bmw 528?

02 wrx

240 s13 or the s14 "kouki" (would love to try one of these out)

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
                        When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I personally would go with a 98-02 Accord. They are right in your price range, look very nice, and are very nice cars to drive.

Comment

Best bang for the buck for 6k? E36 M3.
                            There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

How about a 97-01 Prelude?
                              1990 Accord EX

Comment

well you could go the preteg5 route like i did. id sit in one first since you are worried about leg room. but a mazda p5 secret...we share the same motor and compression as the mazdaspeed protege. the only thing that sets the wagon apart from the MSP is the turbo and the ecu. MSP kits go for like 1500 max and you can get your ecu reflashed for like 150. a nice peppy turbo wagon

or you can look for subaru impreza wagons. better yet a subaru baja!!

no
                                Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                                $30 HID kits here Thread
                                "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                                "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Working...
                                X