Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different Koni Yellow For Use With Ground Controls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Koni Yellow For Use With Ground Controls?

I remember reading somewhere a while ago that there was a different version of the Koni Yellows for use with the Ground Control coilover sleeves. Something about a different part number or something. I can't really find much on Google, and I'm still waiting on a reply from Koni, so I figured I'd ask here.

I'd just hate to buy some Yellows and have them be the wrong ones. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks.
    Originally posted by deevergote.
    And please, for the love of God, type like a human being!

And if I could find somewhere that sold them together, I'd be far more confident in just purchasing them as a package, but I've looked around at a bunch of reputable places I know of and have only seen just the shocks, or just the sleeves, never both together. If they were sold as a package by a company then they would be the correct ones, if that's even the case.

Comment

It's not the Konis that are different. It's the Ground Controls. They have special sleeves made to fit Koni Yellows, as opposed to their regular sleeves made for other shocks.

Just call Ground Control and they'll give you what you need. Koni Yellows are on sale somewhere right now... and I can't remember where! It'll come to me.

Comment

www.autoanything.com. They are $480 shipped.
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

That's it. I knew I saw it floating around Facebook!

Heard that site kinda sucks... but for that price, I'd put up with it. That's a hell of a deal, considering STR-Ts are practically that much!

Comment

I've never had an issue, and that's where I bought my Yellows.
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Well that's good to know. I knew there was something different, I just wasn't sure which part it was for.

And as for that site, that's a good price, but they don't ship to Canada. The cheapest I've found is Tirerack, and even then they're $700 shipped US. With conversion that puts me around the $880 mark. Ouch.

I'm going to try to locate a dealer up here that has them. Hopefully I can get a sale that's going on.

EDIT: Someone on the CB7T Canada FB page pointed me to a company called ImportRP. They're based in the States and seem to have good reviews, and the best price I've seen so far for Konis. If anyone has experience with them, a review would be much appreciated.
              Last edited by 91 EX-R; 04-11-2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

^ I've ordered several times from IRP. Great site, their prices tend to be better than everyone else's on most items.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I've ordered my Konis and H&Rs from AutoAnything for my CL-S6. It's been a great site for me! When I purchased those items about a year ago there was no Koni sale so I just put the parts in my cart and waited for them to pester me with coupon codes. Eventually they'll send you one for 20% off and that's when I bought. Some brands are not eligible, but for the most part it's a great strategy. But for the Konis being 30% off right now, there's no sense in not getting a set. I have rebuilt Tein Super Sports on the Accord and I'm still debating on picking up a set.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Just for reference

Koni Yellow shocks left------------------------------Other shocks right

Comment

91 EX-R, you're less than an hour away from the US border. Do you have any friends just over the border that you could ship the stuff to?

Comment

Alright, I convinced myself I needed them. I'll keep the Teins on the car for now, but if I determine the ride needs improving, I'll have them handy. I kept all of my hardware from my OEM shocks and springs for this very purpose.
                        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks for the comparison picture. I can see the machined lip that the Konis sit on versus nothing for the other one.

And nope, no friends across the border. Which would be nice since AutoAnything doesn't ship to Canada I forgot I had found that place before and was excited since the price was great, until I got to the checkout and realized I couldn't get them!

So the search continues.

Comment

I don't see the $480 price from autoanything.com for the Koni's, but Tirerack lists the fronts for $119 a piece, and rears for $143 on special; free shipping over $50 for everything other than tires. Koni usually runs a spring sale event through Tirerack. I bought my Bilstein's through Tirerack and I had them next day, but it also helps I'm only about a 2-3 hour drive from them. I've had Koni's in the past and while they were great, I never played with the knob; these Bilsteins are WORLDS better overall, IMO. Faster high speed damping, similar low speed peak. The Bilstein HD's sold in the US are actually Bilstein Sport's for 94-97 European Wagons, and they can handle some serious spring rates. I know for a fact they're shortened(and have shorter, stiffer bumpstops) and can deal with a lowering spring or coilover, as well as have two grooves for the spring perch clip(fun fact, the Bilstein perch can be inverted on the shock to dial in ride height as I've done). I've never ran into the bumpstops with 13" from center hub to fender, and my roads are SHITTY+I autocross. In short...

Easy, don't think about it button: Koni/GC. Plenty of people like them.
                            A little bit harder, but overall better results, and cheaper(!)(if you do the legwork): Bilsteins, Allstar Performance(or another Bilstein specific) sleeve/perch, QA1/Summit springs in ANY length and spring rate you want. Very proven setup in the Miata community.
                            Dirt cheap: ebay coilovers+Bilsteins. Don't laugh, this is also proven by that same community, and all the springs in the world are made by about 3-4 different manufacturers. I've personally measured the springs I've received at around 533lb for the generic, $50 "Honda" coilovers. I may have to run a tender/helper spring in the rear, which isn't that hard or expensive; probably another $100. Bilsteins are $119 each from tirerack.com. $50 coilover sleeves, $12 tender perches, $30 tender/helper springs, $40 for Energy Suspension upper spring isolators. Bam. Budget friendly and WILL perform the same if not better than the off the shelf Koni/GC combo. $480 for shocks, $50 for coilovers, $85 for tenders, $40 for isolators. $655. Can't beat that. Like links? http://www.miataturbo.net/suspension...-thread-78451/
                            Last edited by Chrisnick; 04-22-2015, 03:44 PM.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

$471 shipped at tunersports.com:

http://www.tunersports.com/koni-spor...p4_p19682.html

I had a very good experience purchasing from them.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X