Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car shakes and makes noises when I hold the brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car shakes and makes noises when I hold the brake?

As stated before, I'm completely new to cars so please try to bare with me if I have dumb questions to ask! I've had this problem for a while, would one suggest I go for a full tune up? There are several problems that I'm not sure connects with this one.

The car runs perfectly normal, but it's when I have to hold the break in drive that it starts making very loud clicking noises and it shakes like somebody shivering in -50 degree weather. This is especially true if, say I'm ordering through the drive through, the longer I hold it, the worst it seems to get! Everything is completely stock so I know it's not anything I've changed. Thanks!

It's almost obvious that your engine mounts. Most likely the rear and it seems like you have an auto.
    Whether you are new or long time enthusiast, the first thing about getting the right answers is the information you provide us. Specifics, specifics. Year make and model, and tranny type, and any service that has been done before. Physical observations is also very important.

Comment

My apologies, my car is a 1993 lx accord and you guessed right, automatic, & nothing has been done to it out of the normal. Nothing was modified to the car, everything is completely stock.

Comment

Indeed it's the motor mounts. For an old car it's not unlikely. The front and rear the the most common ones to go out. The front dog-bone mount is easy to replace, however the rear mount will take time. Either you lift the car or you take out the intake manifold for an easy access.

Comment

What you could do is lift the hood, run the engine in gear with the brake fulling press. Have some one or yourself look to see how much of a shake it has. You could also observe the shake going from park into gear. It's going to be pretty obvious. If it shakes that bad as you described, it's most like front and rear are involved.
          If you cannot do it yourself, then the labor could be back breaking.

Comment

What would be the estimated cost to replace the motor mounts, and not from the JY? I know it varies depending on how much labor costs around the area, but I would love an estimate of the cost itself of the motor mounts and labor fees that you know of. Is something like this crucial to replace short term and long term?
            Last edited by JFrost7; 10-14-2012, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Well damaged engine mounts should be replaced. It might affect your shifting if left damage. Before you replace the mounts, check the vacuum hose on the rear mount solenoid and make sure it's not loose or broken.
              The average price on the rear mount is around $70. The front is around $30. These are prices for after market. Honda OEM will be much more. I don't know the cost for labor for the rear mount, but the front you could do it yourself.

Comment

I had a similar problem in my Prelude. Well, I didn't have the problem, the previous owner did. He spent thousands trying to fix it. I am sure it probably is the mounts. However, a bandaid fix you can try is either advancing the timing or shifting into N when coming to a stop. Increasing the RPMs should make the car seem to shake a bit less.

Comment

Working...
                X