Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Alt not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alt not charging

Hi I've got a 93 10th anniversary edition and I have been having problems keeping a charge on my battery. I have replaced both the alternator and the battery and nothing seems to work everytime i go to Autozone to test the alt or battery they test bad in the car but in the store they test good. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

How are your battery cables? Are the connections clean?

Comment

Check the power to see if you are getting output from the alternator. THen check all the fuses in the fuse box. Check whats the battery voltage at idle as well.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Check your grounds . Also make sure your battery cables are on tight . Also might wana check if any lights stay on could be also draing the battery . Also did you tighten your alt when you changed it ?,

Comment

Yea when I replaced the battery I cleaned all of the connections at the battery end, as well as, putting the battery grease you get with batteries on the posts and terminals

Comment

The voltage when it idles is at about 10.76 volts and drops when I rev it up. I had tightened the alternator bolts that connect to it as well as the tensioner

Comment

Try following the steps to make sure the alternator is OK.

A&P-IA

Comment

Output is definitely low. It can be either a bad alternator, or a bad sense wire going to the alternator. Do exactly what the test shows on the previous post. It will narrow you down.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

You may have repalced with a faulty replacement unit.

I suggest to get your alternator checked by a proper electrician.

I had this same problem, checked double checked traced grounds, changed alternator etc to no avail. A proper electrician spotted my new alternator was still faulty. Third time lucky it was fixed.
                  Rides:

Accord
                  92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                  96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                  88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                  92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                  95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                  92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                  91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                  91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                  91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                  91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

That's a definite possibility. A lot of people are hesitant to suspect a newly replaced part, but it's not uncommon for them to be faulty right out of the box. Especially if the replacement part was a refurbished unit.
                    My friend and I installed 3 different starters on his car before we found one that worked! (also from Autozone)

Comment

I have had to replace my alternator before, and the first replacement started overcharging about a week into use or 500 miles later. Changed it out with one not supplied by auto-zone, and have not have an issue since.
                      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Do you have a battery light on? That a dead giveaway its an alternate issue. i usually see around 14.4 or so at idle. I've had a 3 Month old autozone altornator spike to over 100v randomly on my fluke meter before.

Comment

I have learned that the alternator is charging but I have a parasitic drain somewhere in the line because when I put the battery on the charger with it still attached to everything and test it with my multimeter it drops charge at about .01 volts/30 seconds or so. I have checked the positive going from the battery to the fuse box and there doesn't seem to be any exposed wire. So what should I try next?

Comment

and if it is the alternator.
                            Last edited by Accord problems; 06-10-2013, 12:39 PM.
                            this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                            How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                            Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

If you have a drain somewhere, you should use you multi-meter to check current draw and start pulling fuses one by one to isolate which circuit it is.
                              PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Working...
                              X