Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Suspension question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension question

I recently got a job. N first thing I wanna save up onis my suspension. I know if I want to get a decent suspension im going to spend over 600. My question is what should I get first? I dont want my car to go that low on the rims but I want it sitting 1.5-2" over the tire.. I dont know much about suspensions and also want to know if once I install either the struts or springs can I adjust them to the hight I want them to be. Or what would be a good way to do that? I also want the back to go lower then the front..

Sorry for the long question any help will b well appreciated..

I'm not a suspension expert by no means but I believe coilovers are the ones that are adjustable. If you don't have a lot of money to spend check this out. Peace

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=470
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=177130

Comment

Ebiach pro springs, or h&r or sport springs. Kyb agx 4 way shocks, or koni yellows, or bilstien hd struts. And buy energy suspensions master bushings kit while your there, get extra grease

Comment

Originally posted by hyoslvr View Post
        I'm not a suspension expert by no means but I believe coilovers are the ones that are adjustable. If you don't have a lot of money to spend check this out. Peace

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=470
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=177130
        it took a while to read it but thanks for the info. I think the best option for me now are coilovers.. Thanks

Comment

Function and Form Type I coilovers seem to be the best value and a really nice design. And like Morts said there are going to be many bushings along the way you'll want to replace as well. Either the Energy Suspension kit or OEM bushings ordered individually will be just fine. Check out Majestic Honda at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for the best prices on OEM Honda bushings if you want to go the OEM route.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
            Ebiach pro springs, or h&r or sport springs. Kyb agx 4 way shocks, or koni yellows, or bilstien hd struts. And buy energy suspensions master bushings kit while your there, get extra grease
            KYB doesn't make ANYTHING for our cars that will be compatible with anything more than a 1.5" drop... and almost every spring on the market drops about 1.8" minimum. KYB is not an option. I'm not even sure Bilstein's shocks are compatible with a drop without revalving. They're fantastic pieces of engineering, but they may not be made for lowered cars.
            Koni Sport (yellow) or Tokico Illumina are really the only true affordable "off the shelf" options available to anyone that wants a proper drop on their car.

Comment

Im gonna be a nazi here.

Don't get freaking coil overs. Everyone seems to think a coilover setup is bad ass. Your wrong. Its not for newbie guys to just throw on a car. When you adjust them, their spring rate changes, which changes the way the vehicle reacts to various conditions. This isn't a good thing, since im betting no one on here.know how to adjust them so the spring rates match, or even have an idea on how to do it.

Get good spring and shocks, new bumpstops and bushings, some wider tires and call it a day. Seriously, not to be a douche, but your in over your head.

Comment

I agree with that 100%. Coilovers offer a level of adjustability that sounds awesome... but unless you have the need, knowledge, and tools to properly adjust them, they're useless. I'm quite knowledgeable about these cars, and suspension is one of the areas I'm strongest in. I've done a good deal of research, and I've worked on MANY suspensions on 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation Accords. With my knowledge and experience, I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't even come close to understanding how to properly adjust a set of coilovers. I've never worked with the tools, and I've never worked on a car that's used for anything more than street or drag. My car has Neuspeed Sport springs (formerly H&R Race, but I preferred the higher ride), and Koni Yellow shocks... and the adjustable shocks themselves are even more than I need! (I set them on full soft for street, and full stiff for drag... that's it.)

Keep it simple. Get parts that are properly matched to each other, that don't require you to know more than you need to know... and replace all of the 20 year old worn to shit bushings. Your car will feel amazing.

A set of good coilovers is beyond the need or ability of 90% of this forum's members, and the coilovers that most of us can afford are probably made with crappy materials and/or workmanship, and not worth half what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  KYB doesn't make ANYTHING for our cars that will be compatible with anything more than a 1.5" drop... and almost every spring on the market drops about 1.8" minimum. KYB is not an option. I'm not even sure Bilstein's shocks are compatible with a drop without revalving. They're fantastic pieces of engineering, but they may not be made for lowered cars.
                  Koni Sport (yellow) or Tokico Illumina are really the only true affordable "off the shelf" options available to anyone that wants a proper drop on their car.
                  H&r oe sport springs are. 5-.75 drop. Bilstien makes normal shocks and "HD" versions. I don't know about cb, but they do for cd accords. Do they even take the same shocks? I can't remember which parts are 4&5th gen compliant and which parts are 5th and 6th gen compliant.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Keep it simple. Get parts that are properly matched to each other, that don't require you to know more than you need to know... and replace all of the 20 year old worn to shit bushings. Your car will feel amazing.

A set of good coilovers is beyond the need or ability of 90% of this forum's members, and the coilovers that most of us can afford are probably made with crappy materials and/or workmanship, and not worth half what you paid for them.
                  THIS!!1!1 and for the record all I know about adjusting spring rates on a coilover setup is you need some bad ass suspension testing equipment to do it right.

Off topic ima install an special ws2 muffler on my cd5 tomorrow.
                  Last edited by MortsAccord; 04-16-2012, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Most aftermarket companies consider their parts to be for 90-97 Accords. Most, from what I can tell, have had their R&D done on 5th gens, but they work well enough, for the most part. I wish companies would focus on the CB separately, as there are subtle difference.

4th and 5th gens can swap shocks and springs. They're basically interchangeable.

Comment

I've never really considered that before. I have experience with coilovers from other people's cars and the QA1s I have on the Camaro. I guess I just take the experience I have with them for granted. Those are on there for steering response and to keep the car from doing a nose dive on hard turns. Most people on this forum just want a dumped look. Thinking about it more carefully I don't know that there is a "right" suggestion for that look. In the OP's defense, he's not going for that look. I just was having internal monologue.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Tuning a suspension is like tuning a musical instrument. There is a "right" way to do it, that will work as intended... and then there is tuning it so it "sounds good". My guitar is tuned to some unidentifiable key. It sounds fine to me... but it's not correct. I at least know enough to tune it to itself, which is more expertise than most automotive enthusiasts can claim for their suspension... at least on this forum.

Comment

I too was still debating on which route to go..shock/spring or coilovers. I really wanted coilovers for the height adjustment but I knew I wasnt going to use the coilovers to its full potential. I also didnt want to "slam" my car. So I went the shock/spring route. I'm glad I didnt get coilovers and over spend on what I really didnt need. Koni's are AMAZING. and I will probably never get coilovers due to the fact on how great Koni's are.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
                          My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
                          Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

If you absolutely wanted to, you could get coilover sleeves from Ground Control that will be perfectly compatible with your Konis. They are the only company I would ever trust for sleeves. But yeah, good thinking. Leave the engineering to the engineers!

Comment

I would never go with a sleeved coil-over unless it was a ground control/koni setup.

Cup-kits are a nice option.
                              -Ian

'92 EX Coupe (Member's Ride Thread)

My Blog - Mostly snark about professional motorsports, but I occasionally make it to local and regional events. It's not much now, but I'm working on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X