Tornado hit my town last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornado hit my town last night

Me and the fiance are fine, but our town got drilled by a few f2's last night. Media is saying one, but as it happened last night, there were a confirmed 30 or so tornados around southwest Iowa. At least 2 in creston. I was in Mount Ayr, and drove up and picked katie up and we headed south the get away from the shit.

The siren's NEVER went off. Nobody had any warning. It was just a severe thunderstorm one minute, and a building flattening tornado the next.

The hospital got destroyed, the college and middle school got destroyed. They are trying to find trailers and stuff that were around the school, they just disappeared. People are missing. Gonna be a tough few days around here. Please think of and pray for my town, folks.

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iow...2/-/index.html
    "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
    Disregard females, acquire currency
    BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Yes sir! prayers going out. Glad you and the misses are ok. Peace

Comment

Glad to hear you guys are all okay.

I heard on the Weather Network they were expecting a very active weekend in the midwest.

Comment

Man of all the natural occurrences around the country, I don't think I would want to experience a Tornado.

Shit is fucking serious.

Comment

dude, just seeing one at a distance is pant-shittifying enough.

Comment

We were able to get over to the scene today... holy shit.

This was the stort all over. Can't believe how lucky her and I got.
            "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.

Comment

Tornados suck. Had one rip the back off out house when I lived in Texas and one blow all the windows out when we lived in Kansas. Back before everyone had cell phones it really was bad. When the phones went down you couldn't find anyone. When I was in 3rd grade I broke my arm skateboarding. As me and my mom were at the hospital a tornado went through the neighborhood where we had left my brother. Luckily it went through the only wooded area and no one was hurt. But for like 5 hours it took to clear the road, we didn't know if my brother was alive or not. You couldn't get to the house, no
              Phone, no nothing

Comment

I've seen 2 in person, luckily both at a distance, but it's still scary as shit seeing that funnel with your own eyes.

I'm one of those active weather nerds, so tornadoes, hurricanes, thunderstorms and other natural phenomenon intrigue me.

I remember one storm when I lived in Ontario. I watched the sky go from beautiful sunny and blue to pitch black. We had tornado warnings and everything. I was picking up my GF from work as it was rolling in. I was in that eerie calm before the storm. Everything is silent. The air pressure changes. You just have a funny feeling in your gut. No sooner than she came outside to get in my car, I pulled out onto the road and it just started pouring rain and hail. The rain was coming down so hard, that even at 20-30kmh, I could barely see infront of me. Having hail pounding down on the car wasn't helping much either.

We got back to her house, and she lived outside of town, on a country road, surrounded by fields, and we had a nice clear view in all directions. As I had mentioned, there was a tornado warning and reports of funnel clouds. Suddenly, it got windy as shit. It was hard to tell if it was just violent wind gusts or if it was a tornado near us. Part of the sky that we could see was that weird eerie green colour associated with tornadoes.

After watching the news that evening, they confirmed an F2 tornado had touched down not far from where we were, so all that wind we were experiencing was from it.

That was the closest I've been to being in one, and that was around 2004/2005.

I saw the 1996 Ontario outbreak, in the Arthur/Grand Valley/Shelburne/Fergus/Rosemont/Alliston areas, since that's where I lived at the time. From the back deck of my house, we overlooked a forest, and you could see all the way to the horizon. The sky was orange with black clouds, and you could just see this black finger-like funnel on the horizon. It was surreal. Miles away from us, but we could see it so clearly and it was just something out of this world to see in person, especially when I was only 10 at the time.

Comment

I've never seen a tornado before but i've lived through 3 floods.

were there any fatalities?

Comment

I herd about Tornadoes down that way. In Dubuque, we didnt have any issues. Hope everything is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                      I've never seen a tornado before but i've lived through 3 floods.

were there any fatalities?
                      There are mixed reports at the moment. One person died unrelated, just a hospice patient that passed that night. There are rumors however of a young woman found dead in her front yard, but they have yet to release any official statements. So hopefully not.

Comment

Working...
                      X