Flex Pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flex Pipe?

I was just wondering what does a flex pipe do? or that thing that is on the flex pipe.. like what is the main purpose of it?

Pretty self explanatory it Flexes. So the engine doesnt yank the crap out of your exhaust. kinda like a dampener for an exhaust I guess you can say.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I don't understand how they're made. How is a metal pipe flexible and still leak proof?
      Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
      -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
      MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

If you look at it the flex pipe usually is bigger than the pipe itself. My guess is they prob run a pipe through then have a bigger one around it with metal mesh and thats how its constructed. The metal mesh would be what gives it its flexibility.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Think about those straws that bend.
          You now, when you take your girl out for a milkshake and share a shake with two straws?

Notice how the bend is like an accordian? The same bends are found in the flex pipe. The pipe is constructed the same way that bendable straw is. The outer is covered with metal mesh as Nail05 said.
          The flex pipe is there so the exhaust downpipe and the rest of the muffler system bends when "flexed" or "disturbed."

I see you are making a lot of threads...are you planning on doing a custom exhaust? wait...you said no performance. I can tell you this, nothing from Honda will be cheap. Your best bet is ebay and find generic flex pipes in your diameter.

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
          1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

looks more like a spring with a metal mesh around it.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTUFFGUY
              looks more like a spring with a metal mesh around it.

yep, i've looked in a few, and it's pretty much a wound up spring with cross-hatched metal around it

Comment

I have a question. If theres a leak at the beginning of the flex pipe at the end of a header, is it replaceable? A friend of mine has a leak there and says its not replaceable, but I'm almost positive it is, all you need to do is buy the right flex pipe diameter and length and then weld it on, right?

SOLD!!
                Boosted H22
                375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Working...
                X