Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loyal car owners and quitters

This just f'ing annoys me.

I don't get being able to get rid of your ride just like that. A daily driver is one thing, but a ride that you grow to love? You slave, scrounge, sacrifice for that pay off and then just say "I'm done with this car". I'm just not built that way. My CB and FD will live long after me, as long as I don't wreck them on a track before then. I realize as time goes we're going to get more and more of these types of post. And using the word "quitters" to describe these owners is inaccurate for a multitude of reasons. But that's the first thing I think of, when I see these posts.

Just this past weekend I went in to the office to pick up some car parts and I met the painter touching up our office. He asked "why did you have to come in on a Sunday?" I tell him why and I share about the projects I'm working on. He gleefully tells me about his GTO that he's had for 30 years. Then his mood changed as he tells me that he just sold it a few months back. You can tell a part of him was missing. I had to leave and I said "Wow, after so much how were you able to part with it?" He said "It was just time", sounding regretful as he said it. And we left it at that. I felt sorry for the guy.

CB7 - 19 years this past March
    FD3S - 7 years this July

Just ignore me, I'm just venting
    Last edited by Tishock; 04-29-2015, 01:41 PM.

When I saw that Maquaiestrong parted with his after he hit the side of the hill, I was upset for sure. I knew I needed to hold my tongue, so I just let it be without comment.

Cincy with the bronze supercharged CB, Ant, Boost Lee, G-Man, Deev, many others: I have trouble understanding it as well. There is more to the story, I feel, than some are sharing, which is absolutely their right.

I feel like some people have the "build and finish" mentality. Once they've built it up and enjoyed it, they do not feel like there will be much regret in letting it go. They focus completely or almost completely on the next project. I am just not that way, and I would go so far as to say that many people who consider selling their cars on here are also not that way once they process through their feelings in community.
    Last edited by af_1132; 04-30-2015, 01:09 PM.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Everyone builds cars with different desires and for different reasons. I struggle with trying to be financially responsible and still yet have fun with my automotive projects. A lot of different feelings cross my mind. These things are just something a car enthusiasts has to deal with. If money and time were both limitless it would be different.

Comment

Some people enjoy the build more then the ride. I have seen many built cars sold when completed to finance a new build.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

Everyone has different priorities. Having a project car to work on is a luxury not a necessity. Maybe you'll change your mind too some day if something better comes along and you need the extra funds to reach it.
          ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by lummieCB7 View Post
            Everyone has different priorities. Having a project car to work on is a luxury not a necessity. Maybe you'll change your mind too some day if something better comes along and you need the extra funds to reach it.
            THIS.

Like he said, its all about what peoples priorities are. When I had a cb it was given to me, I didn't choose the car. I like fixing up cars, but I don't like fixing cars. When it comes to a point where its consistent, i get over it and i let it go and that's just me. Same with all my cars after that. My recent s2000 it had its issues, I sorted it all out and I got it to run near perfect condition, but by the time I fixed all the issues, I was already over it.

Also, as I got older, I made more money. I wanted to take on bigger projects and better cars.

I didn't want to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on car parts on just fixing the car.
            Last edited by GHOST 2.2; 04-28-2015, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Going back as a daily driver the accord I ownes was an awesome beater.

Thats where it ends. The thought that any econobox likely won't out perform a better platform.

If I had the chance now I'd still get the
              Accord chassis but in 92-97 configuration four door manual windows and locks or what ever came with AC and lowest base model.
              Replace essential parts for the pgmfi and ya know the known issues like gaskets seals tcu maintenance on the fuel cooling ignition lubrication filtration and ventelation.
              New OE UCA front and rear, LBJ, new tie rods, rack and pinion, pressure line,full bushing kit
              Swap in a f23a block
              Tranny cooler ,mccar urethane filled mounts 90a,
              P12 ecu, silicone intake tube,
              GF210 springs kyb gr2 shocks
              Hub over rotor conversion wagon brakes all around stay drum or disc in rear no silly extra shit
              New rubber brake lines and master cylinder wheel cylinder upgrades.
              Acura 16 4x114.3 with oem accord tire size
              Prelude Si steering wheel
              Cut half the dash but leave the glove box and ac
              Remove the antennae and carpet but keep the wagon rear cargo piece.
              Keep the heater ac ps and cc
              Swap in A6 head add a mild regrind
              Upgrade intake manifold h23 and throttle body with oem spacer
              Ebay exhaust kit.
              Wideband. Digi fuel gauge and air boost gauge and oil gauge
              Remove sound deadening.
              Remove radio. And rear speakers replace with front two door speakers and head unit
              Lighter bolstery seats pref oem.
              Remove rear seats delete with hard platic
              Full size oem spare and oem jack.
              Ex or vigor front and rear sway bars. Or Oddy ones.
              Rsx 310cc injectors
              Accord k24 slugs or K23 slugs
              Retard timing 2.25 degrees

Direct port nitrous wet 120hp shot 3300-5500rpms

That would throw me into a 2900# econobox with off the shelf parts with very minor compromise in cost.

Say i spend a total of 3200 total for a car about 2700# car with 270hp

I got a lexus but i miss my honda at times

Comment

It's all relative, people build cars for different reasons. I just hate when they make up a reason to sell , when they have multiple solutions to a problem. I look at it as a hobby (although expensive at times). No one is going to appreciate your hard work but yourself. Some people just need to get over it. If you sell and think that getting a supra or nsx would make you feel better then good luck. At the end of the day you need to do what makes you happy (with no regrets).

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

So for the record i got a great deal jumped on it and my car was totaled.

I never quit

Id rather mob in cd5 although it weighs 300 pound more.

I feel like getting another accord now to show ya how its done.

Id even consider a manual 98 - 02 sedan. For the price range that is. But its a compromise of abs and weight or fundamental pgmfi.

I wouldnt bother with dedicating myself to the car ?? Why?? Its repaired paid off and optimized only for performance ...

So why really drop money and so much on parts that could go in a real drift or circuit car. The syspension cam regrinds and nitrous would be the only after market bits other than shitty little radio nice tires and brake pads with rotos. Big woop keep it basic.

Its more fun more bang for $$$...

My buddy just smoked a homie in a G35. Its all about the driver

Bimmer 4 banger vs 6 speed nissan.

The bimmer shouldnt wi. But its a better driver and its optimized performance of stock parts.

Not many kids think out how to tune these cars.

We should tell em. Dont rice learn to work in your car once repaired upgrade it minorly and lastly in a major way get used to a fast car . save up for a luxury slow car ;D

Comment

I have no idea what you just said. I'm especially unsure of what "mobbing" is in reference to one person driving around in a car.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Its nice that the only thing you took from that wasa typo. Mod not mob . Spelling woopsy.

Whats it matter I'm in a nicer faster car now. I was just stating what platform I would choose to mod vs what cb7 I had and mods I made to it.

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
                        I like fixing up cars, but I don't like fixing cars. When it comes to a point where its consistent, i get over it and i let it go and that's just me. Same with all my cars after that. My recent s2000 it had its issues, I sorted it all out and I got it to run near perfect condition, but by the time I fixed all the issues, I was already over it.

Also, as I got older, I made more money. I wanted to take on bigger projects and better cars.

I didn't want to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on car parts on just fixing the car.
                        Sums up the thread well.

Why put 3K to repair and add performance to an econo box?

Looking back I feel silly aspiring to take my cb to another level.
                        Honestly in my area I can find a running good body Z32 s for under 3k. And at 3k spent on a Z its still a better bang per buck. I think we get to attached to cars and ideas about them at times.

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                          Sums up the thread well.

Why put 3K to repair and add performance to an econo box?

Looking back I feel silly aspiring to take my cb to another level.
                          Honestly in my area I can find a running good body Z32 s for under 3k. And at 3k spent on a Z its still a better bang per buck. I think we get to attached to cars and ideas about them at times.
                          Because we can. Cars are a bad investment anyway.

There are other traits to a car besides its performance...nobody wants to drive around in a dedicated race car everyday. Some people like being the underdog, some other people just have amazing fabrication skills. whatever floats your boat
                          Last edited by sonikaccord; 04-29-2015, 12:33 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

IT's these individuals choice really. I think it's dumb to hate other people for selling their vehicles. Some people can't afford more than a single project and may want to move on to something newer and better. Some people may have priorities bigger than the money pit project sitting in the driveway. There's plenty of personal reasons someone can sell their project for and quite frankly any of those "excuses" is perfectly acceptable. Do I have a project I never plan on getting rid of? Yes I do and that's my choice.

I'll use Deeve as an example. An h22 accord project and a CTS-V. The v is better in every aspect imaginable and came out of the box like that. Add as much into the V as some have sank into the CB's and it's even that much better. So what benefit is there to actually hold on too the lesser vehicle?

Instead of trying to comprehend others choices just realize everyone's different.

My 6th gen accord thread
                            99 Miata

Comment

Having a project car that you are interested in is a great thing.

Having a car that you haven't touched in 8 years, that doesn't run, that needs a good deal of work, and that you don't have the time, money, or space to dedicate to it... that's just depressing. I know this was inspired by my recent thread (which, if you continue reading, you'll see that I'm not selling it anytime soon...)
                              If I sell it, will I miss it? Absolutely. It's the car that taught me how to drive stick. It's the car that taught me how to turn a wrench. It's the car that brought me into the tuning world, and more importantly, to this amazing community. Which makes the fact that I haven't driven it in years, and can't drive it for a few more, that much more depressing.

I like my CB7. I do. I've always said I'll be buried in it when my day comes. However, it's just a rotting husk right now. I just got a $54 ticket for it being unregistered, and I'm in a panic on how I'm going to get it back into my driveway without being able to start it. Once it's in my driveway, I'll need to replace a few hundred dollars worth of parts just to make it operational... so I can drive it in 18 months when my insurance goes down to a manageable level. Until then, I get to keep it covered in my driveway. Unmoving.

What good am I doing for the car or for myself by hanging onto a car that I can't afford to repair or drive?

I'll be keeping it, as irrational as that is. Largely because nobody is going to pay me what I would accept for it. It's worth more in sentimental value than cash value, and in its current state, it's worth very little cash at all. Nobody is going to say "here, let me give you $3000 for your non-running 23 year old project car!". It's just not going to happen. So I'll be keeping it.

Comment

Working...
                              X