Exhaust suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust suggestions

Well, after 236k miles I need a new exhaust system. I think my catalytic converter is OK as the exhaust doesn't seem clogged up.

I'd like something stainless steel, DIRECT BOLT-ON FIT, and it can NOT be loud. If it's a little sporty sounding, that's fine with me. I'd also like to keep the dual tips or possibly and oval shape for the muffler tail peices. Any suggestions?

I plan on installing this myself to help keep costs down.

Thanks!

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post
    Well, after 236k miles I need a new exhaust system. I think my catalytic converter is OK as the exhaust doesn't seem clogged up.

I'd like something stainless steel, DIRECT BOLT-ON FIT, and it can NOT be loud. If it's a little sporty sounding, that's fine with me. I'd also like to keep the dual tips or possibly and oval shape for the muffler tail peices. Any suggestions?

I plan on installing this myself to help keep costs down.

Thanks!
    it would be nice to know what car you have... duel tip exhaust? iv never seen a cb7 that has duel exhaust.

Comment

Just a suggestion; after that many miles your catalytic converter could stand to be replaced. Over time carbon build up on the honey comb material begins to prevent them from converting the exhaust gases and they become less and less effective.

Your exhaust goals sound almost exactly like mine. When I bought my car it came with a full stainless exhaust from one of those generic eBay companies. I'm in the process of piecing together a few parts now to actually make something decent from that. It does have 2.5" stainless, mandrel-bent tubing after all. But mine is going to involve a lot of custom work because I'm adapting mine to be something it's not. For you I'd recommend getting an OEM replacement catalytic converter and then getting an A'Pexi WS-2 or an RS-R exhaust. Both of those have nice tones to them and have an OE-looking muffler at the back. They also perform decently.

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
      it would be nice to know what car you have... duel tip exhaust? iv never seen a cb7 that has duel exhaust.
      Every EX or SE Accord sedan and coupe here in the states had two tips on the muffler.
      Last edited by Jarrett; 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Browse this thread for some ideas

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=14815

Dual TIP not exhaust. One muffler two tiny pipes coming from the end, most of the time with nice little crome slip-ons for cosmetic looks.

Comment

Find an 06-11 Civic Si Catback, use the muffler and resonator and add some custom 2.25" piping and it'll sound really nice. I did my entire setup installed for 210 bucks including removal of my old catback.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Just a suggestion; after that many miles your catalytic converter could stand to be replaced. Over time carbon build up on the honey comb material begins to prevent them from converting the exhaust gases and they become less and less effective.

Your exhaust goals sound almost exactly like mine. When I bought my car it came with a full stainless exhaust from one of those generic eBay companies. I'm in the process of piecing together a few parts now to actually make something decent from that. It does have 2.5" stainless, mandrel-bent tubing after all. But mine is going to involve a lot of custom work because I'm adapting mine to be something it's not. For you I'd recommend getting an OEM replacement catalytic converter and then getting an A'Pexi WS-2 or an RS-R exhaust. Both of those have nice tones to them and have an OE-looking muffler at the back. They also perform decently.

Every EX or SE Accord sedan and coupe here in the states had two tips on the muffler.
            Man the Apexi's have gotten expensive! Cheapest I could find was around $700. I probably should replace the cat as a more preventative item. Am I looking in the wrong spots or something?? Are there any alternatives?

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post

Dual TIP not exhaust. One muffler two tiny pipes coming from the end, most of the time with nice little crome slip-ons for cosmetic looks.
            Perfect, thanks!

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
            Find an 06-11 Civic Si Catback, use the muffler and resonator and add some custom 2.25" piping and it'll sound really nice. I did my entire setup installed for 210 bucks including removal of my old catback.
            Will the 06-11 Civic catback be a direct bolt on fit or am I simply using the resonator and muffler from the civic? Do I use the Honda OEM civic exhaust parts or do I use an aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks for the help Losiracer!

Comment

Will the 06-11 Civic catback be a direct bolt on fit or am I simply using the resonator and muffler from the civic? Do I use the Honda OEM civic exhaust parts or do I use an aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks for the help Losiracer!
              no you'll have to make some piping for it. As it comes the resonator will hit our swaybar in back so it has to be relocated to the center portion of the car.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

If i knew your location, id say come buy my greddy sp-2, but i dont haha.

Its a great quiet system that fills the rear section perfectly, in my opinion.
                1991 Accord Ex - H22A - Omnipower Coilovers - Greddy SP2
                1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Originally posted by Leung
                Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

Comment

no you'll have to make some piping for it. As it comes the resonator will hit our swaybar in back so it has to be relocated to the center portion of the car.
                  Ahh ok gotcha. Where did you purchase your civic cat-back from? I'm not having any luck finding anything that's affordable.

Originally posted by 91H22ACB7 View Post
                  If i knew your location, id say come buy my greddy sp-2, but i dont haha.

Its a great quiet system that fills the rear section perfectly, in my opinion.
                  I'm up in Richmond, VA. With gas the way it is, it would be cheaper for me to fly down there for the day, pick it up at the airport, "check it" as baggage and fly back.

However, do you happen to have a sound clip of your greddy?

Comment

Ahh ok gotcha. Where did you purchase your civic cat-back from? I'm not having any luck finding anything that's affordable.

I'm up in Richmond, VA. With gas the way it is, it would be cheaper for me to fly down there for the day, pick it up at the airport, "check it" as baggage and fly back.

You can find a sound clip on youtube bro

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post

o dear god... i cant believe i said that... but yea pretty much any oval exhausts should be quiet, or you could take it to a shop and tell them you want it replaced with another quiet system

Comment

yeah search Losiracer2 on youtube for my account. I've got 3 diff. exhausts in there.

I found it on my local honda forum for 100 bucks. you can try craigslist also

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by nate'sCB7 View Post
                          You can find a sound clip on youtube bro
                          Thank you sir!

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
                          o dear god... i cant believe i said that... but yea pretty much any oval exhausts should be quiet, or you could take it to a shop and tell them you want it replaced with another quiet system
                          I really did want to try and install it myself as I'm a big DIY guy.

yeah search Losiracer2 on youtube for my account. I've got 3 diff. exhausts in there.

I found it on my local honda forum for 100 bucks. you can try craigslist also
                          Sweet, thanks!

I did find this after some searching...Magnaflow. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=7541 Youtube had a couple clips of it on one cb7 and a couple cd7's. I actually kind of like it; stainless steel parts, bolt on, and lifetime warranty. Kind of hard to beat all that! And, it's significantly less than the Apexi WS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUm3Rlk-3Ew&feature=fvst
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUoyN8Xl9Yc

What do you guys think?

Comment

Thank you sir!

I really did want to try and install it myself as I'm a big DIY guy.

Sweet, thanks!

I did find this after some searching...Magnaflow. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=7541 Youtube had a couple clips of it on one cb7 and a couple cd7's. I actually kind of like it; stainless steel parts, bolt on, and lifetime warranty. Kind of hard to beat all that! And, it's significantly less than the Apexi WS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUm3Rlk-3Ew&feature=fvst
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUoyN8Xl9Yc

What do you guys think?
                            Yeah the magnaflow's alright but if you want even quieter, the Civic's resonator is 5"x16" long so I think it'll be a bit quieter. Mine is even quieter than my RSR Ex Mag on the highway cruising at 4k RPM

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post

Did you mean purchase a brand new cat from Honda because they cost about $500??!! http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...EXHAUST+SYSTEM

I just ordered a magnaflow direct fit cat. http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...irectfit=22624

Comment

Working...
                              X