No announcement yet.

EXT: All-red Taillights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lacquer thinner....maybe? nail polish remover?
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Nycxeracer
      What do you think would be the best way to remove paint from the tail lights?
      I put down roughly 10 layers since I installed, I want to do it over, different idea this time.
      I need to re-do mine. I put more layers on my outter lenses so they are darker. I am thinking about just soaking the lenses in paint thinner

Comment

dont use paint thinner use laquer thinner. paint thinner will leave a oily film that doesnt take paint well unless you lightly sand it all off. and everyone knows how if you dont keep an eye on the tail it'll warp because of the thinner.

Comment

This is great DIY, got my hands on a Eurolite All clear Tails for $50 CND EBAY , since red/clear are so hard to get, so did this DIY this past weekend and made my own red/clear tails. Will post some pix up when everything is dry and rrdy to put on.

Comment

i did my lights and then came out pretty good.

"Know Your Rank"

Comment

i did my lights over my break between shifts at work. i didn't sand anything though, and i dind't use clearcoat. i might clear it, only takes like an hour to do everything anyway. the trunk tails i took off to paint, but the outer ones i just masked off all around with the trunk open, comes out to the same shit if you tape it properly. no amber left even inside the edges where it meets the body.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Lx
                i did my lights and then came out pretty good.

oh yea pretty good? no that id damn good. great DIY
                <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

anyone got a picture of 92-93 tails with the reverse/amber parts sprayed with niteshadez?

Comment

I have a question. My tails have cracks and some deep scratches. Anyway I can fix these before I paint them all red? Or would painting them red hide all these imperfections?

Comment

Testors has this wonderful stuff, you can usually find it with a model paints kit, it's called CLEAR PARTS GLUE. They might have it separately, but it's awesome stuff for this type of DIY. Use that to fill it in, use it like Bondo, then sand it to where it's flush with your tails(you don't want it really thick, it might flex with heat). I will check Mall-Wart tonite, since I'm getting my paint too.

-Edit- BE SURE(!!!!!) to clean your tails with rubbing alcohol, so the glue can adhere to the surface. Don't worry, as long as the glue is thin enough, the paint will adhere to it, and it will look flush after 2-3 coats and a clearcoat or 2.

Peace.

-Jay
                      Former '92 LX 5-Speed Coupe Owner
                      I will have another CB7 one day!
                      Kenwood|Audiopipe|Kicker| DROK

Comment

has anyone effectively removed this paint with lacquer thinner?

or is sanding the only option?

my clearcoat left the lense a little too foggy for my tastes and i want to reapply with something else. Problem is, i figure sanding will leave it just as foggy in the end anyway.

Comment

I just used Dupli-Colors' Metalcast red on the top half of the 90-91 tails. 2-3 light coats and it matches the factory and its just as transparent cause its meant to created the anonized look on chrome.

Comment

hey Punkrampant, do you have any pics of how that turned out?
                            1991 Accord LX - R.I.P. you are missed..

1999 Accord EX-V6
                            [AMR coilovers/Progress rear sway/NRG strut tower bar/AEM V2 CAI/Morimoto H1 retro/Racing Sparco wheels]

Comment

ill post when i get my digicam up and running again

Comment

sweet diy, just finished mine a few hours ago
                                FA1

Comment

Working...
                                X