Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legend Brake Swaps... things you ought to know.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King James View Post
    So I am to understand that the only thing that makes this a problem is the fact the bleeder valve is in the wrong spot.....and to negate this all you have to do is bleed the caliper off the car?
    Yup Just take the caliper off, stick a block of wood in it, and bleed.
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

That really isnt much of a problem at all when you do the work on your car anyways

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

http://tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-su...-calipers.html

makes sense to me.....and the spoon calipers are f'in bad!!!!
        93 EX Arcadia Coupe, 5spd, f22a6, strut bars, 2"drop, baer brakes, ingalls camber kit, tokicos w/ eibach, K&N, 205s / 16s

Comment

Wow. I know this post is ancient, but the OP's info is way off with the explanation as to why one shouldn't use calipers from a Legend and flip them left to right. That illustration is a bit misleading too. It doesn't explain really what's going on. The point about the bleeder valve location is a valid point, easily solved by the flip.

Caliper pistons don't get engaged with different speed/pressure if they are different sizes. They'd have to be working off of different brake line circuits for that to happen. The equal pressure between the pistons is focused more acutely from the smaller piston to the pad versus the larger piston to its portion of the pad.

From Wilwood's website:
          Q: What's the purpose of having a big piston and a small piston in a Caliper (staggered pistons)?

A: Multi-piston calipers, normally with six or more pistons, have bore sizes that increase in size from front to rear.

This allows a pressure differential between the leading and trailing edge of the caliper, thus providing an even wear pattern along the entire length of the brake pad, hence it controls brake taper. This is necessary because incandescent material and debris from the leading edge of the pad is trapped between the pad and rotor; it tends to float the trailing edge of the pad off the rotor. A larger piston at the trailing edge of the pad provides more pressure to compensate for this debris buildup and keep the pad flat against the rotor. --End

For my money I'd go with those that say the Legend calipers fit when they're flipped and work well.
          Last edited by wtfisafleek; 09-24-2017, 02:26 PM.
          My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
          Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
          Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Yeah, I can't think of anyone that actually installed them that said they had discernible wear issues.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
            X