Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoke coming out from intake when starting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoke coming out from intake when starting?

Hey guys, just had my car randomly act up on me today. The car's been running fine and today i went to start it after driving it to a jobsite and it turned over but didnt want to start up like it normally does. after turning it over for a few seconds it started to sputter and then I noticed smoke coming from the hood on the passenger side. I popped the hood and saw white smoke coming from my filter. I then tried to replicate the smoke by turning it over again, but it started right up and ran fine as always.

Saving ya'll from a long story, I noticed the longer the car sits it becomes more difficult to start. But when it does start up after about 10-15 seconds of turning over it will run fine.

I think I'm somehow getting oil in my intake manifold either through the pcv system or somewhere else im not aware of and that it's keeping the engine from starting until it gets cleared from the intake valves and cylinders. The longer the engine sits the more time oil has to collect at the valves.

I'm going to go remove my intake and see if I cant find anything. Anyone have any suggestions or any other experience with this type problem?

Thanks!
    90 LX, 270,XXX miles strong!

Sounds kinda like a backfire though the intake. Shouldn't be oil, cause that would cause smoke out of the exhaust. Might want to look into physical timing and distributor timing.

And also stuck valves/ dirty valve seats/ bent valves.
    wat?

Comment

I was thinking that it could be a backfire through the intake, but the smoke that was coming out was white. although could the heat of a backfire cause the oil on the filter to smoke???

Comment

when oil burns its blue ish smoke....white is coolant....check your gaskets on the throttle body and iacv..

my new turbo build

Comment

Ok will do! thanks for that, Isn't there a coolant line on the throttle body? like for helping the car to warm up?

Comment

Update for yall: I ended up taking the car to the shop and they're checking everything and it will start but it takes awhile. They checked fuel pressure and it's good, and my comp and I have 125lbs on each cylinder, but my spark was weak. So they are going to be messing with my distributor tomorrow. Just figured I'd let yall know.

Comment

Was there oil on the sparkplug tips?????

Comment

only one sparkplug boot had a little oil on it, but not enough to do anything. I've had those gaskets replaced before. He showed me the spark and it was barely there.

Comment

Working...
                X