Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help please.

ok, here's the deal. I've scoped out a 1993 CB7. It's all great except the throwout bearing may need replaced. But the thing that bothers me alot is the rust. It looks ok from the outside but it runs from the rear of the quarter panel all the way under the wheel well and through the door jam about an inch and a half. I'm wondering if it's repareable or if it's terminal. Please help me. I have no pictures at the moment.

It's in the performance section because I'm afraid it compromises structural integrity.

Here is the link to the car and picks http://www.rosedalecars.com/110544/1...da_Accord.html you have no idea how much i want this XD
    Last edited by acefighter028; 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM. Reason: Changing title, adding link

If it looks like this:

or this

do your best to find a rust free car. They are out there (2 1/2 of mine are). Rust repair, particularly if it extends all the way around the wheel well and into the rocker panel, can be very expensive if done correctly (particularly if you're paying someone else to do it).

I am going to attempt to repair the one pictured above (for reasons I won't go into, I have to keep this car until I die). Got rust free quarter sections from another car and picked up a spot welder relatively cheap. When I really get into it, I'll start a thread. Right now, most of the outer skin on the right side is gone, just a small section along the top that meets the trunk lid and it still doesn't seem to bend much.

You might get more lookers if the title of your post was a bit more descriptive.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-10-2010, 12:26 AM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      If it looks like this:

or this

do your best to find a rust free car. They are out there (2 1/2 of mine are). Rust repair, particularly if it extends all the way around the wheel well and into the rocker panel, can be very expensive if done correctly (particularly if you're paying someone else to do it).

I am going to attempt to repair the one pictured above (for reasons I won't go into, I have to keep this car until I die). Got rust free quarter sections from another car and picked up a spot welder relatively cheap. When I really get into it, I'll start a thread. Right now, most of the outer skin on the right side is gone, just a small section along the top that meets the trunk lid and it still doesn't seem to bend much.

You might get more lookers if the title of your post was a bit more descriptive.
      Thanks you much. your help is appreciated . The asking price is $2950 but i wont pay more than $2500. I know its expensive but i have the money. and about the pics, the one im looking at isnt as bad.

Comment

Mine didn't look this bad until I removed the bumper and the rocker covers and started picking at and removing all loose rust. If it has any at all, it will continue to spread unless it is cut out and replaced and treated. How many miles on the one you're looking at? I've seen two ads for rust free cars in the Cincy area (less than 135,000) for $2000 or less. I haven't gotten to look at them in person yet, but the pictures looked OK. IMHO, resist the urge to buy and wait for a rust free vehicle.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

That looks so nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            Mine didn't look this bad until I removed the bumper and the rocker covers and started picking at and removing all loose rust. If it has any at all, it will continue to spread unless it is cut out and replaced and treated. How many miles on the one you're looking at? I've seen two ads for rust free cars in the Cincy area (less than 135,000) for $2000 or less. I haven't gotten to look at them in person yet, but the pictures looked OK. IMHO, resist the urge to buy and wait for a rust free vehicle.
            I need a car now and i fell in love with this one, but i see what you mean and will think about it. it has 150,000 miles. I will post the link to the site if it works later :/

Comment

I found a great old timer guy who repaired rust almost as bad as that, including new structural steel on the side rails, for $400 per side. I knew I had the right guy when he pointed to some relatively cosmetic rust on the rear quarter panel and said "do you want to leave that or do you want me to fix it?" like it was a normal option some of his customers took.

However, guys like that are a rarity. One other body guy actually ran out of his shop waving his hands and saying "I'm NOT going to work on that!" when I drove up to his shop and said that it would cost "thousands" to do both sides and I should just patch it up with foam and bondo to pass inspection and start saving for a newer car.

Look for a place that does frame welding, they are used to dealing with stuff like this.

That being said, rust free is better than not rust free. Doing that job right entails cutting out the bad rocker panel section, media blasting the metal, welding new steel in, rust treating and painting it, along with the usual replacement of the wheel well (fiberglassing it in probably) and the rear quarter panel section.
              Last edited by batever; 08-10-2010, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X