Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H22 Valve Springs and Retainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 Valve Springs and Retainers

I am in the process of rebuilding the H. I need some input on valve springs and retainers.

The ones i have looked at are the following:

Supertech SPR-H1000D

Blox (don't have part number)

Blackworks BWVP-0200

KMS Engine Development (don't have part number)

Skunk2 311-05-0360

Okay the first four are more or less in the same price range. I am on a budget, so Bisimoto is out. I plan on getting some BC Stage two cams as well.

I would like input on the above brands. Why you like or Why you don't like.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by djcaz_aom; 10-08-2010, 10:32 AM.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
    I am in the process of rebuilding the H. I need some input on valve springs and retainers.

The ones i have looked at are the following:

Supertech SPR-H1000D

Blox (don't have part number)

Blackworks BWVP-0200

KMS Engine Development (don't have part number)

Skunk2 311-05-0360

Okay the first four are more or less in the same price range. I am on a budget, so Bisimoto is out. I plan on getting some BC Stage two cams as well.

I would like input on the above brands. Why you like or Why you don't like.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Go with the BC springs and retainers
    U can get the retainers thats made for high mileage
    Titanium retainer wear out quicker
    I talked to the skunk 2 guy and he said that there titanuim retainers have to be check Periodically and changed every 30K to 40K miles
    There on some threads on other sites that talk about this
    Check them out

Members Ride thread

Comment

I will be either going with aircraft aluminum or steel retainers. No titanium for me. I need something that will last, but also allow me to use a more aggressive cam.

Thanks for your input.

Keep it coming...

Comment

I will be either going with aircraft aluminum or steel retainers. No titanium for me. I need something that will last, but also allow me to use a more aggressive cam.

Thanks for your input.

Keep it coming...
        Ill say a prayer for you...

Comment

supertech springs and retainers on mine, tested to 8500. All retainers wear over time and should be checked. Ti parts will unfortunately wear faster.
          1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
          newer race video,older race videos
          1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
          1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisiced View Post
            Ill say a prayer for you...
            Just so YOU know, Titanium wears a lot faster. I am not looking to replace retainers regularly. Honda doesn't use titanium and neither will I.

Comment

Just so YOU know, Titanium wears a lot faster. I am not looking to replace retainers regularly. Honda doesn't use titanium and neither will I.
              Don't worry. He's still bitter because he wiped out his H22s valvetrain with an aggresive cam because he didn't run the proper oil. Apparently, just because his got trashed, everyone elses will to, unless you pray about it.
              Originally posted by sweet91accord
              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

If my memory serves me right....Bisimoto, along with a few other valvetrain options, are right around the same price give or take $25.

EDIT: Just checked their respective sites.

Bisimoto - $339

Skunk2 - $400

Crower - $305

Supertech - $329

KMS - $290

Blackworks - $337

BLOX - $438

And on that note, I would say a resounding Bisimoto FTW. As a matter of fact, talk to Randy and he might be able to knock it down a few more dollars. Plus it's free shipping as I'm sure many of the others are not. But hey, your call....
                '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                  Don't worry. He's still bitter because he wiped out his H22s valvetrain with an aggresive cam because he didn't run the proper oil. Apparently, just because his got trashed, everyone elses will to, unless you pray about it.
                  I'm not bitter just wary. I want his setup to work and do well. I mean no harm. But I personally feel it's a crapshoot.

Also I do not believe oil type to be the cause of the problem because others who have run premium oils have had issues as well.

And on another note I'm still running my skunk2 valvetrain.

Comment

You could get a friction reducing coating on the Ti retainers then problem solved
                    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                      If my memory serves me right....Bisimoto, along with a few other valvetrain options, are right around the same price give or take $25.

EDIT: Just checked their respective sites.

Bisimoto - $339

Skunk2 - $400

Crower - $305

Supertech - $329

KMS - $290

Blackworks - $337

BLOX - $438

And on that note, I would say a resounding Bisimoto FTW. As a matter of fact, talk to Randy and he might be able to knock it down a few more dollars. Plus it's free shipping as I'm sure many of the others are not. But hey, your call....
                      Actually our Bisimoto Spring and Retainer kit is $369, plus right now we are doing free shipping on all of our valvetrain items! So with this in mind, you pay $369 for reliability and durability.

To my knowledge we are the only company who spin tests there valvetrain to 14000 rpm!

Questions, comments, concerns, orders?
                      Randy@Bisimoto.com
                      Bisimoto Engineering
                      Randy@Bisimoto.com
                      (888)-922-6686

Comment

Why? If most modified F22s only see 7000 why bother going to 14k? Also with what valvetrain and what cam? If I have a stock cam and heavy spring pressure I can wrap it up very high. Woo! Great! But it'd stop making power by 6000 and probably ruin the rocker wipers on SM rated 30w oil.

I had titanium retainers on my old F22B DOHC and they lasted 60,000 miles total of which ~2000 were roadracing with a Crower Stage 3 NA cam (215˚ .451" IN/EX duration/lift). The spring/retainer package didn't cost me nearly $400 either.

You should do a better job of qualifying your marketing with reasons for why you do something.

OP, just get a spring package that matches the pressure your camshaft requires (at seat and at lift) and run a steel retainer. No worries.
                        VTEC G27? = ???whp ???wtq
                        VTEC G23 = 220whp 191wtq
                        nonVTEC G23 = 200whp 183wtq
                        K24 iVTEC hybrid = 260whp 210wtq

Comment

^^^^Same thing I was told From KMS Engine Development. Their package shipped is only $214. I am not saying that Bisimoto products are not worth it, it's just that I am on a budget and the H is not for the track.

To the person that got the price quotes, I can get better prices than those posted. Even with free shipping, Bisi is out, due to price.

I will keep everyone posted on the build. Thanks to all that have replied to this thread. You have been very helpful.

Comment

You want your valvetrain endurance tested to I'd say at least 2000 past your engines redline. That way if you miss a shift(and we all know we aren't perfect), you won't have to worry about valve tapping, bent/broken/dropped valves, retainers and the like. And if you do alot of racing, hard pulls, you don't want your valvetrain under full load, or constantly to its breaking point/limits. Both Bisi and KMS endurance test their valvetrains way beyond 10k to ensure that. I haven't heard anything positive about KMS...but I haven't heard anything negative either, so let us know about a Bisi competitor. It helps us all.
                            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                            If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMcFred View Post
                              Why? If most modified F22s only see 7000 why bother going to 14k? Also with what valvetrain and what cam? If I have a stock cam and heavy spring pressure I can wrap it up very high. Woo! Great! But it'd stop making power by 6000 and probably ruin the rocker wipers on SM rated 30w oil.

I had titanium retainers on my old F22B DOHC and they lasted 60,000 miles total of which ~2000 were roadracing with a Crower Stage 3 NA cam (215˚ .451" IN/EX duration/lift). The spring/retainer package didn't cost me nearly $400 either.

You should do a better job of qualifying your marketing with reasons for why you do something.

OP, just get a spring package that matches the pressure your camshaft requires (at seat and at lift) and run a steel retainer. No worries.
                              Much like someone else on here stated, we test and build into that range for not only protection of your investment but also in the event that someone is building a higher rpm dedicated build.

The titanium retainers are utilized as the durability which we have encountered is second to none, we have not experienced any excessive wear nor have we experienced any fatiguing in these units.

With this in mind, this is what we build around to ensure that your vehicle will not only take the abuse but also be able to uphold the demands of the aggressive nature of our camshafts
                              Bisimoto Engineering
                              Randy@Bisimoto.com
                              (888)-922-6686

Comment

Working...
                              X