No announcement yet.

acura tl type s calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are you changing out ball joints? Are you wanting to use the entire TL knuckle? It's easier to either drill out the CB knuckle to accept the larger TL caliper bolts or put threaded inserts in the TL calipers to use the CB hardware. And if you use the inserts instead of drilling the knuckle, you can more easily revert back to stock should you ever decide to go with a different caliper.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Because when I was doing this a couple of years ago, I wanted to know what was different, and I looked at all the gains that could be had by swapping the knuckle. I ran into an issue with the TL outer tie rod ends (which are larger than the CB's) as they are too short and couldn't find an appropriate one that fit the bill. The best thing I could find was the MDX outer tie rod ends which were even bigger still. So I have a massive outer tie rod end which helps for steering wheel feel. Not to mention it should last much longer than the Accord-sized unit would take under heavy abuse. I also gained larger lower ball joints and much beefier wheel bearings.

If you're only doing this job to say you have Brembo brakes, then go ahead and use the spacers and drill holes. It's much cheaper and cost-effective. But in my case, I built it in my head first, to see what I would gain and the compromises I would have to make. Ultimately I decided those benefits outweighed the meager cost to buy 4 knuckles (2 for the Accord and 2 for the CL).
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        Because when I was doing this a couple of years ago, I wanted to know what was different, and I looked at all the gains that could be had by swapping the knuckle. I ran into an issue with the TL outer tie rod ends (which are larger than the CB's) as they are too short and couldn't find an appropriate one that fit the bill. The best thing I could find was the MDX outer tie rod ends which were even bigger still. So I have a massive outer tie rod end which helps for steering wheel feel. Not to mention it should last much longer than the Accord-sized unit would take under heavy abuse. I also gained larger lower ball joints and much beefier wheel bearings.

If you're only doing this job to say you have Brembo brakes, then go ahead and use the spacers and drill holes. It's much cheaper and cost-effective. But in my case, I built it in my head first, to see what I would gain and the compromises I would have to make. Ultimately I decided those benefits outweighed the meager cost to buy 4 knuckles (2 for the Accord and 2 for the CL).
        Would the lower control arm work from something like a Prelude or first gen TL? Don't those use the larger size balljoint? Or is it even bigger?

Comment

Working...
        X