No announcement yet.

Tire stretching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^I agree with Deeve on risk management, i spend over 50+ hours a week on the road and you will not even imagine the stuff i have seen because people simply dont drive according to the conditions.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I remember when I was just learning to drive. I had a driving instructor that told me to go 10 under the limit in the rain. I asked what I should do in a 25mph zone. She said "you go 15. Yes, it sucks."

Comment

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
        If you're looking for a tire that's relatively cheap, has good summer performance, but is also an excellent rain tire, check out the Continental Extremecontact DW. Its pretty affordable in the 215/45/17 size.

And on a personal level I've had the worst experience with Continental Extreme DW. I had three brand new tires have radial pull with them. Now like others all I read was good reviews about them, it wasn't until after my experience with a set of 4 new tires that I added "radial pull" to my google search and oh boy! Everyone has the issue with these tires! But the worse is how the shop will tell you it's the rim, or the car, or you did something.

Thankfully the business I got them from kept replacing tires until I was good. They drove the car themselves and noticed the issue first hand. What made it worse is that they didn't have a road force balancing machine so they couldn't tell they had radial pull unless they drove the car. So each time i had to go to Acura to have them checked too. But it was 2 months of hell. Calling, bugging, leaving the car at shops...... etc.

This summer I bought Michelin tires from Acura, 10x better than the Continentals in every aspect. But you pay for what you get.

Comment

My e46 feels solid at 70+ in wet weather... When going straight at least. I could not get the CB to feel as confident and I'm sure it had more to do with the alignment settings than the tire in my case.

Besides, wet roads REALLY take your grip out from under you. Many non-car people don't realize that until they're in a ditch or a tree

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            And on a personal level I've had the worst experience with Continental Extreme DW. I had three brand new tires have radial pull with them. Now like others all I read was good reviews about them, it wasn't until after my experience with a set of 4 new tires that I added "radial pull" to my google search and oh boy! Everyone has the issue with these tires! But the worse is how the shop will tell you it's the rim, or the car, or you did something.

Thankfully the business I got them from kept replacing tires until I was good. They drove the car themselves and noticed the issue first hand. What made it worse is that they didn't have a road force balancing machine so they couldn't tell they had radial pull unless they drove the car. So each time i had to go to Acura to have them checked too. But it was 2 months of hell. Calling, bugging, leaving the car at shops...... etc.

This summer I bought Michelin tires from Acura, 10x better than the Continentals in every aspect. But you pay for what you get.
            There is only 1 shop that i know aside from dealerships that have this machine Raf, its an expensive piece of equipment that most shops will not purchase because people generaly dont want to pay for the service, I've had to explain this to customers at shops when they fuzz about shops not having special equipment for their vehicles. I normally see tread pull and higher requirement of weights on cheaper tires than the top tier tires, i am not saying its not true as i have been around when massive recalls happened for more than one brand but sucks you had that experience.
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post

I'm surprised by this! Those are supposed to be some of the best out there!

I had a bad experience with Yokohama S.Drives, which are supposed to be fantastic. They didn't fall apart or anything... they just had awful grip, squirly performance, and poor treadwear (I was glad to see them go!)

Even the "good stuff" sometimes sucks, either as a matter of opinion, or in your case, a matter of quality control.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
              My e46 feels solid at 70+ in wet weather... When going straight at least. I could not get the CB to feel as confident and I'm sure it had more to do with the alignment settings than the tire in my case.

Besides, wet roads REALLY take your grip out from under you. Many non-car people don't realize that until they're in a ditch or a tree
              I get nervous when my car feels too stable in wet weather. From my experience, wet or icy conditions seem fine until the moment where you lose control. It's deceptive. I've been fortunate that I've never had any serious consequences of losing control on wet roads, but I've had enough such instances to be careful. Grip is there until it's not... and then you're just along for the ride.

Comment

Working...
              X