F22Chris : 1991 VW Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hammered out the dent, and filled low spots

It was about to rain so I sprayed it. Hence the crap paint, and no primer etc. shits gonna get sanded off anyway.

I think 1-2 more coats and it'll be fine. This is about 7 coats/sanded. It looks pretty good now. Better than the softball sized poop crater before. I'm new to body work, and I think this is turning out better than I expected.

I want to do the whole car that green.

Edit: Why are the pictures side ways? They're fine on my phone.
    Last edited by F22Chris; 01-28-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

VW is looking great. Did you take the insurance money from getting hit? Or do you only have collision on your insurance?
      That dash looked soooo nasty lol. How did you make out cleaning it?

What was the trim level offered by VW on these little guys? I am not a VW guy but my Aunt has an old VW in her driveway that is a convertible. I couldn't even tell you what vehicle she has. I do not know what ones came in convertible style.

Keep up the great work, I hardly ever see older VWs especially this version.

Comment

Originally posted by dhill_cb7 View Post
        VW is looking great. Did you take the insurance money from getting hit? Or do you only have collision on your insurance?
        That dash looked soooo nasty lol. How did you make out cleaning it?

What was the trim level offered by VW on these little guys? I am not a VW guy but my Aunt has an old VW in her driveway that is a convertible. I couldn't even tell you what vehicle she has. I do not know what ones came in convertible style.

Keep up the great work, I hardly ever see older VWs especially this version.
        Thanks, I did like 4 more skim coats. I need to do a few more. When it's a nice day outside I'll finish it. I'm gonna hit it with 600 grit afterwards and spray it. It's going to be colored satin olive.

No go on the insurance money. They didn't want to do anything for me as it was less than 500 dollars in damage. Insurance companies are really fucking my life up lately. They still haven't given me money for the tree accident...

Trim levels for the Golf were C, CL, GL, Country, and GTI. The C/CL/GL being base models of the 5-door, the country being the lifted 4WD model, and the GTI being the sporty coupe. They came in 1.8L 8 valve set-ups, 1.8L 16v, 2.0L 16v, and 1.6L Diesel engines were offered here as well. Other markets had tiny 1.3L engines too. I'm sure I'm missing stuff cause there were so many options.

VW also sold Jettas, Sciroccos, Cabriolets (the convertible your aunt has), Foxes (RWD & I think Fox wagons were offered). They had shit right for their A2 chassis. The car your aunt has, if it's older than 92, is still an A1 or MK1 style chassis. I was thinking about getting one for my wife.

Thanks on the compliments, I need to do a fair amount of work to this thing to get it where I want it to be.

To do still is clutch/flywheel, rebuild head (lifters, seals, lap valves, etc), metal head gasket, 268 cam, then intake, header, exhaust.

On top of that do the chains, guide rails, clutch/flywheel, and re-gasket the VR6 Jetta I have..

I have too many projects.

Comment

Wow F22chris I have to check out the tree damage thread again. I know I saw pictures a few days ago but I did not comment because I was crying too much.
          Wow VW had that many trim levels!!!! Jesus God that is a lot. I thought we had a lot of trim levels!
          I was always told by my family to stay away from VWs. We had an older beetle from the 80s I want to say. When I was growing up my pop would always tell me not to buy imports (because of that beetle) and buy American made. He swears by this old 89 s-10 ( I think it was s-10 back then) that he only ever put brakes on...He was or is someone who looks for the easiest possible route!
          I try not to take that from him but its hard when you are around it a lot.

I haven't seen my aunt in a few years though so I have no idea what went wrong with the cabriolet. Last time I was there it was covered in the driveway. Wasn't inspected since 2011 though because I checked the stickers.

She loved that car and I doubt she ever sold it. It was black. I know when my cousin was looking for a car she bought him a PT cruiser and kept the non running cabriolet.

Maybe one day I will convince her to let me try and get it running again.

Comment

VWs aren't bad cars what so ever. If you keep up with them, they're very reliable.

I agree with your dad on late model S-10's being reliable. Every car has their problems, and he happened to get a lemon Beetle that killed his view on the brand.

My grandfather had a beetle in the 60's. He was in law school, and got hit in the back. It made it so he couldn't open his trunk. The engine was in the trunk. They were air cool boxer engines back then, too. Anyway, he couldn't open the boot to check the oil or do any maintenance on the car.

The car didn't break down on him once through school. With the SAME oil in the car for many years until he got a new one.

If you ask me, that's STUPID reliable!

They're just like any other vehicle, you get out of them what you put in.

As for your aunts Cabriolet, I say try and get your hands on it. If you do, be prepared for fuel problems. CIS equipped cars need to be well maintained to have the car run well. I'm going through this right now with my 86 Scirocco, which happens to be the same chassis as the Cabriolet.

Comment

Looking better. Started paint too. Will post when fully painted.

Once I get my tax return, I'm going to start on my block swap & build.
              Last edited by F22Chris; 03-09-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I've decided I'll do 1 panel a day till it's completely painted.

Except Friday and Saturday cause I work for 12 hours. It'll hopefully be green next week

This paint is my favorite color. I'm extremely happy with out this is coming out. Also, I'm sorry for my last picture being stupid large. Tiny pic wasn't working for me last night.

Edit: fixed picture size
                Last edited by F22Chris; 03-09-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I LOVE that color.

Great choice! Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Comment

I think I need to do the panel-a-day thing with the CB. How are you painting it? It looks smooth.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                      I LOVE that color.

Great choice! Can't wait to see it when it's done.
                      Thanks! satin olive!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                        I think I need to do the panel-a-day thing with the CB. How are you painting it? It looks smooth.
                        Rattle cans! Krylon from Wal-Mart. 3.80 or something per can. The MaXX whatever that's paint + primer.

$80 paint job lol. Gonna do the jams black.

Comment

I got off school early. So I painted more than one panel. I painted the bumper too, I just need to paint the trim black.

I put on the OEM grill too. Turned out decent. I'll rock this, idc.

I got one side done. All that's left is trim, driver doors, roof, and hatch.

Hopefully it doesn't rain next week.

And yeah, those are my smashed tree cars. They're taking their time on getting them..
                          Last edited by F22Chris; 04-14-2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Got bumpers back on, and trim is painted. I have another trunk with the GTI spoiler, and an actual high mount brake light that I need to paint.

Just the roof and trunk are left.

Not bad for windy days and spray paint. I need to color sand, and polish.
                            Last edited by F22Chris; 04-14-2016, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Not bad. I think I'm going to do the roller for mine.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                                Not bad. I think I'm going to do the roller for mine.
                                What color?

Comment

Working...
                                X