F22Chris : 1991 VW Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic expansion tank ftw.

Repair shouldn't be too bad. What all are you replacing on the E36?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      Plastic expansion tank ftw.

Repair shouldn't be too bad. What all are you replacing on the E36?
      Head gasket & seal set, timing guides, tensioners, expansion tank, and an aluminum radiator & silicone hoses.

We have to send it to Dover or Joes, whoever is cheaper really. Then after it gets tanked and decked, smack it back together. I really hate the lifter assembly in these cars. The lifters are in a housing that is a pain in the ass to line up with the valves, and they need globs of assembly lube to not fall out of when you flip it over. If you don't know what I'm takin about look up M50 lifter assembly. I can already hear myself cussing at the lifters falling

Comment

Did a compression test, and all is good. The leak was actually the valve cover leaking from the back. The nuts were literally finger tight. Shit is happening.

Will have pictures soon! Right now I'm going to wait on the valve spring install for when I have use of a bigger compressor. I do not trust mine to hold 80psi for extended time. BUT! Cam is in, new lifters are in, ABA studs are in for the upgraded valve cover gasket, header is off and being shaved right now so I can fit the rest of the Techtonics exhaust. By Wednesday I should be done. I still have to cut the down pipe from the crappy aftermarket weld-on catalyst, wire my o2 up, and bleed out the lifters.

The exhaust manifold is horrible on these cars stock. They're unequal length primaries, to a single outlet downpipe and a 1.75" (at best) collector. That same 1.75" pipe goes all the way back.. Thing is breathing out through a coffee stir straw. The "new" manifold is still unequal, but is a 421 design dual outlet with a 2.5" collector to a catless 2.25" mandrel setup.

I'm going to save my MLS head gasket for when I put in the ABA block. I might go pick another one up (or two). There's a dude on Craigslist selling three of them for $150 each.

I'll have pictures tonight. Hopefully a sound clip by the end of the week for a loopy cold start.

Comment

Old crappy G spec (not g grind)

New lifters & 268 TT cam. OEM is around a 235. So the difference should be nice.

Old shouldered studs for the shitty cork head gasket.

Terrible manifold. They call it a toilet bowl lol.

There's always that last bolt...

Cleaned up the intake manifold. This thing was caked with oily dirt.

New exhaust studs & nuts.

This ungodly amount of cutting better be worth it.

Shaping the tops and doing just this one side (which still isn't done) took me 2.5 hours...

Comment

This grinder and I are getting to know each other REAL well..

Comment

Yeah buddy! Fits!

Now to cut the downpipe, wire the o2, injector seals needed to be ordered from Myco, and break in the cam! I got the timing belt, intake, valve cover, and vacuum lines back on.

It's starting to rain.

Comment

Nice work Chris
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Thanks Nick

So at the moment it's got no exhaust on, open header. But after I wired up the o2 sensor, and got everything back together, I couldn't resist. I had to start it up, and hear it.

It sounds awesome. I'll have the rest of the exhaust on after dinner.

First start up. I have to change the oil, and it'll be good to go.
                  https://youtu.be/WFR8eTcRFMg

Comment

Exhaust didn't quite line up from the downpipe so I had to add a flex pipe. It's on there now! Sounds pretty good too.

The open header clip - the idle was at like 600rpm, and the CTS shit out on me again. I got my money back front oreillys, and got a German one. Works fine now.

The paint on the manifold was VHT, blue and silver. The blue literally ALL burned off, and the silver turned brown, then burnt grey. The car smoked for like 30 minutes, and now I smell like burning paint. Moral is to stick with BBQ black paint.

Here's an actual sound clip for those who care to hear. The car rips now compared to what it used to do, and it has power higher up for sure.
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=sWarbtcBQiQ

Comment

Nice! Did you go hooning yet?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Not yet, still has to get oil. There's also still a small exhaust leak I need to get right.

Comment

I painted the valve cover. It was either this, or rust it out. This just seemed better. Looks good too! Green goes well with silver/black.

ISV also went out. Had to delete with tapered carburetor plugs. It's a clean delete, but it's a little hard to start now due to the camshaft. That's why you see the grey rtv/plug in the intake.

Took the car out today for a bit after work, and it was worth the work for sure! After the block swap, this thing should be pretty fast! It's not only hast, but the thing sounds great.

I went over three clicks on the AFM, and reset the idle. Cold starts are rough, but sound awesome. Once it warms up, it's fine.

I just got another package from TT. It's a coolant flange for the side of the head. It's leaking right over the clutch.. I figure I'll I just swap it out, and put some fresh G11 in there before it gets cold and ruins my new clutch.

Comment

So I replaced the side flange, added some fresh G11/distilled water, and adjusted the timing.

I blew through a half a tank in two days cause I've been ripping on it. I'm tempted to take out the sub box cause that thing weighs a LOT. I'm sure it's holding it back, but I needs my tunes.

I'm getting some 14x7 0et Bassett steelies next with some fender flares. I'm undecided on the wheel color still.. I'm stuck between white, black, silver, or bronze.

What do you guys think will be cool with olive green?

Going for something like this.

Comment

That valve cover looks gorgeous!

I would definitely go with white wheels (but that's just me). I think every car (except white cars) looks great on white wheels.

Plus, the awesome thing about painting your own wheels is it is very easy. Color change would take one day.

Comment

Thanks man!

I agree 100%. White was my first choice honestly, then I saw silver and I liked that too. I made up my mind actually.

I'm going to get silver wheels, and plasti dip them white. So when the plasti dip gets horrible I can rock silver and then repaint them later. Black just doesn't make the green stand out the way I want.

ECS has $50 fat trim flares I'm gonna order up. Then buy the wheels in a month hopefully. I'm kind of broke lately cause my dogs needed two surgeries..

Comment

Working...
                                X